Skyray King with 6-XM-Ls ! ?

Well, some are driving 3 emitter SRK's at 3 amps per emitter. The emitter is more efficient at 1.5 amps. So maybe less heat at the same overall current. Less throw though do to lower surface brightness, but should be a nice flooder.

I won a 6 emitter bike light on ebay for under $23. It looks like you could just transplant the reflector to a SRK.

That is what I was thinking. Same lumens or close to it, less lux so less throw, but also less heat. Hopefully these start selling for as cheap as the SRK’s do now. When they do I’ll probably pick one up.

I like it, but the price definitely needs to come down.

-Garry

my first thought was the same as said above, just six emitters in parallel on the stock driver, so assuming best case scenario, 1a/emitter rather than 2a/emitter, I’d also not tolerate the three modes given and crap pwm, its becoming a bug bear of mine, I dont mind cheap hosts, heck I love cheap hosts, but I want good drivers and emitters in them, which is where I’m aiming with my supfire m6.

My favorite Sky Ray is the mystery light that I modded. Three 18650’s in series, heavy gauge wire with a DRY driver and 3xXM-L2’s de-domed noctigons. Oh and it has a side switch as well that can be wired up. Not as big around as a SRK and just a little longer. It was a ton of work but well worth it. I added heat sinking and now I can run it for a long time on high without it getting hot.

You got a link to that mod 18650? I found this, but I doesn't have much info:

That’s about all I posted. The hardest part was modding the battery carries to series someone around had a tutorial on that. It’s a ton of lumens in a small package, it tears up most other lights that I own. Not the J-19 obviously but for a smaller light it’s very hard to beat.

I think I remember MRsDNF doing a series mod and referencing you and the mystery SRK. I will have to find it and reread it. I have one of those lights. Even though it gets bad mouthed, I like it a lot too. I haven't decided what direction I want to take it. Thanks for the ideas.

dam are they resurrecting the king since there was a thread long live the king!
the kung tried to dethrone or maybe did for some, but the warrior sure did,
but will this king come back to take the crown?

i dunno, but i like this one.

There is only so much light that can be extracted from a beer-can sized light of this design & head size using 4 - 18650s without greating real heating problems, which the SRK 3 and 4 emitter models already have problems with.

That's why it's a good idea to double the number of emitters for the same current or slightly more.

At 1.5A, the efficiency of the XM-L2 U2 is 140.2 lumens per watt.

At 3A, the efficiency of the XM-L2 U2 is 109.3 lumens per watt.

3A for each of three XM-L2 U2's is 3368.7 emitter lumens.

1.5A for each of six XM-L2 U2's is 3960.6 emitter lumens.

Given that the version with more emitters is more efficient and should be running much cooler, it'd be a great candidate for cranking up the current.

Let's say you can get 2A for each of the six XM-L2 U2's, you'd get 4974 emitter lumens.

Thats one reason why I’m a fan of the big showerhead/plunger lights (going to 15x now). But, more emitters in the same design doesn’t change the current problems SRK already has: burning your hand at 15min for SRK, 5-10min for Kung, not even driven hard, crappy PWM and only 2 light levels.

Yes I remember, Comfychair was there first :slight_smile:

I sent a message asking about pricing without the chargers or batteries.

EDIT; seller wants $62 shipped without chargers or batteries. Ha! No thanks.

Im tempted to pulling the trigger on this one, (since i already have every variant of past SRKs, 3 & 4 emitters, warm and cool white, etc. just to compare this one with the others.

with some negotiations I just found one with the batteries, charger, in Black anodized, for 55 buckes shipped. i think im going to order it to add to my SRK collection, and do a comparo to my other SRKs.

What if… three seperate drivers were used for each emitter, ( these 3.04amp 105C’s in particular >> http://intl-outdoor.com/qlite-reva-71358-multiple-modes-circuit-board-304a-p-710.html )
either on the same single switch, (with the drivers set to the same mode sequence) woudl that increase the amperage to each emitter, while addign better modes, ( the 4-mode setting with moon light)
or even a complete mod using two seperate clickie/on/off switches added so two emillters can be controlled seperately to add even more mode options.
I might experiment with one of my SRKs trying this.

old lumens has done a master/slave nanjg mod using Dr jones electronic switch software (lupodrv?)

so yes that’s possible and you’d have about 1.4a/ emitter if you didn’t add any more chips, it still wont deal with the heat issue.

you could also use an ld35 driver if I get it figured out, in a series/parallel emitter arrangement but I’ll get back to you on that one.

I have one of theese new 6-emitter Kings on the way. will do beamshots comparing it to both the stock SRK 4-emitter and 3-emitter lights i have.