Skyray Kung M4 ( 4 XM-L emitters !

A close up of the Skyray Kung 45mm Driver board, ( Direct Drive through 2 FETs.) wired with what appears to be # 28 AWG wire to the 4 XM-Ls.

Two of the red wires go to the switch, and the other single red wire and black wire go to the 4 emitters.

Thank you for the driver image and info.

How easily can the reflector be removed?

The reflector “threads” in the body head, but not dificult to remove. :slight_smile:

Could the MCU be an Atmel Tiny13 like the one on Nanjg 105c?

its possible, though i haven’t seen the one in a Nanjg 105c

Got a U2 version in today… some performance measurements here: SkyRay Kung M4 U2 performance measurements

You people write a lot of technical facts but the important question nobody answered up to now.
Which one is brighter? I hope I can do this.
I got the Kung a few days ago and I also own one King bought from fast tech (don’t know of U2 or T6) and one older king I bought it nearly a year ago.
10 people were at my home and all three torches had fully charged Panasonic 2900 protected batteries in it.
Each person had a piece of paper and a pen to write down which one is brighter and by how much.
Inside room test, a pond which is about 100 meters away and than a cow paddock on the end with a row of pines 200 meters away. No talking allowed.
End result the new Kung is 15% brighter than the two other Kings in the test.
This is not measured by any lumen or machines, only subjective by ten human who hopefully had not too much beer for this test on the shortest day of the year.

Cheers

But the KINGs sold by FT are fakes and vary in build, now if you told me it was from CNQG then that would be a different story………sorry but this really doesn’t tell us anything.

At least it tells you that this fake is brighter than the other fake.
I have seen a lot of Kings in the last year if fake or not fake, by the way the other one in the test was bought from Manafont a year ago, and the difference in brightness is not a lot.
I own also the BTU shocker just bought for the 99 dollars. I am pretty disappointed with this light. It has a good spot but that’s it, the 36 dollar kung is brighter at least the first 50 meters.
I know saying something against CNQG and Fancy flashlight is “a crime against the state” on this forum, but the shocker is a shocker the poor people who paid 150 dollars + for it. For 99 it is just O.K and a collectors item.

Noop I don’t subscribe to any of that nonsense, if you got a bad light from CNQG then speak openly about it; I certainly do.

Badmouthing a seller on BLF is a crime? Might have the wrong three letter acronym there. I will say that if you have an issue with any light, the best way to get that fixed is with direct contact with the seller. We can certainly help if you decide to fix it yourself with a mod.
Personally, my stock BTU smoked my stock SRK, flood and throw.

The problem is, there are random differences in both SRK and Kung even from the exact same seller, seemingly everywhere. Dale got a Kung which smoked his SRK, I purchased the Kung from the same seller, but my SRK would be slightly brighter in your home test scale…and my SRK was a random, low priced un-branded (no logo/printing) “gift” from a seller, who gave me a deal when I wasn’t happy with another light…it “shouldnt” be brighter than the Kung.

There is just no standard unfortunately, probably 20 Chinese manufacturers trying to skimp on the driver or wires or this or that to undercut the other factory to give the seller a better price, and they change suppliers according to best price without telling you :frowning:

I don’t want to start a discussion about the shocker, there are already some on this forum. I only want to say it is not brighter than any TR-j18 or similar the first 50 to 100 meters, probably not designed for it. There are some parts on this torch which look really cheap for a 150 dollar torch. The clickie switch looks very basic and the battery holder is also not what you expect from a torch which will challenge a TK 75.
So for me 99 dollars incl. postage is fair, 150 dollars overpriced.
Maybe I was lucky to get a bright Kung, or my two Kings are really bad who knows.
These torches are all very very bright in comparison to my 1999 Mag-Lite 6D

LOL….You just lowered my blood pressure with a mighty chuckle

Might as well wait for the 5-LED, Sky Ray King Kung? :bigsmile:

Ah, I hope they dont make a 5 emitter version, with the way 4 heats up the light in 9 mins to hand torture and 13 mins to hand burning without producing much more light, a 5 emitter SRK would have cooking as its primary function, not light. I’d wait for TexasPyro’s driver and get a 3 emitter SRK instead! Sounds like his driver will cause the King to have a lot more output than the Kung and be so much more usable with all the functions he’s including! (unless of course his driver can also work with a 4 emitter version too)

Not for anything, Ric usually makes a sales pitch for something he usually finds interesting. Surprisingly he has not with this light, and it’s even about $20 cheaper than his 3-led, ‘real’ King? Any thoughts?

You would need to add a slave board for the 4th LED. These are most easily made from a single mode 8x7135 driver.

At 3 x 3 amps, a gold SRK heats up rather fast. Starting at 24 degrees C, you get about 3 minutes of full output before the thermal management starts backing down the light. It’s goal is to make sure the light does not exceed 60 degrees C. After 20 minutes or so the temperature stabilizes and the light output is down to 900 lumens or so. The SRK body can really only handle around 10 watts continuously. After another 2 hours the battery protection kicks in and it starts dropping the light level again. After 4-8 hours it shuts down.

A black SRK should be able to radiate maybe 25-30% more heat.

Nice. But why do you say a black SRK radiates more heat? Is its composition different? I’d probably be wanting to run it at 60-70% or so for about an hr, I dont think thermal management would kick in for that type of level use?

His driver will put out about the same amount of light as a Kung unless you add more 7135's. It's all the other stuff his driver will do that makes it so desirable.

He mentioned something about running a piggy back nanjg105 off his driver to drive the 4th LED on the Kung.