SKYRAY S-A1

I just received my S-A1 from Lightake and I love it!!! I think this light is a real sleeper. The XP-E LED and smooth reflector give it great throw for such a small light. It looks brighter than my Fenix LD10!!?? Beam pattern is perfect with no artifacts at all, I am really suprised! Perfect mode memory on my sample even with a low Ni-Mh battery(Budgeteer I think I know what might be wrong with your light)

My light starts out drawing a little over 2A then after about a minute or so pretty much settles out to about 1.9A on NiMh. This light seems to work quite well with the 1.6v PowerGenix batteries also! Seems to draw about 1.5A on the PowerGenix but it would jump up to 1.8A sometimes so i'm not sure what that was about???? The light didn't flicker when the amps spiked so maybe my meter is on the blink?

The only things I can complain about is my sample won't tailstand but I knew it wouldn't by the pictures and it uses low frequency PWM like the Trustfire F23 so it is noticable if you move the light sort of fast and track it with your eyes.

Budgeteer I took my light apart for a cleaning as with all my lights and noticed the design of the reflector makes for the LED to easily short out on the reflector. The only thing that keeps it from shorting seems to be a thin layer of rubbery type glue on the square part of the LED. I took electrical tape and put on my reflector and cut out a hole for my LED to fit through to make sure it don't short out. I will bet that your light is just barley not shorting and higher voltages work ok but weaker voltages have problems breaking down and not being powerfull enough to light up through the near dead short.

Well it turns out that I had faulty leads on my multimeter (too much resistance, so current was limited to ~0,6A). I tried thick copper wire and this light is puling nice 1,51A @4,21V li-ion and 2,21A off ni-mh. Very nice!

Since this light is quite hard driven for an AA sized light, how about if I swap q3 led for an xm-l? How would an xm-l work in a xpe reflector - is it worth it? I suspect less throw, more flood, but overal lumens could almost double (since q3 at 1,5A probably has pretty horible efficiency)? Or is it smarter to buy R5, because at 1,5A (@4,2V) I suspect there is not a lot of difference in lumen output compared to xm-l?

XM-Ls seem to work nicely for me with an XR-E reflector, I've not tried with an XP-E reflector but I'd expect it to work better than with an XR-E reflector as it has a smaller centre hole so as long as you can centre the LED properly it should be OK.

I just found out that XM-L T6 give ~20% more light (550 vs 460 lumens) at 1,5A compared to an R5. Also it should produce less heat - kind of important thing when using such a small light.