Smallest 1X18650 light recommendation

I was wondering this also. Looks nice for the price.

I wouldnā€™t want to put a number in it, I built mine from a host kit with an xm-l u2 and an ld-25 2.6a max driver. Bright enough is probably a fair answer, it warms up on high fairly quickly, as any small host pushing an xm-l likely will do.

Guessing, probably 700 lumens or so on high, but that is only a guess. It does give a lovely smooth beam and is extremely useful for its intended purpose, ie, a small bright pocket light that you can keep on your person at all times.

I love the sunwayman c20c that I have and it is one of the smaller 18650 lights I have.It's not really budget but the UI and output is worth the extra $$.It has a lock out feature for the side switch and sos and strobe are hidden.I hardly notice this light in my pocket and it's built tough,no regrets buying this one.Hope that helps.

Thanks, your guess is good enough for me. Since I can no longer buy the 10 packs of CR123ā€™s(USPS doesnā€™t ship anymore), I thought Iā€™d shift to a rechargeable capable light and since I have a few 18650ā€™s already, I thought Iā€™d replace my beat up P2D. Iā€™d be really pleased with a brightness of around 700 lumens since I often return home during the night and I live in a bit of a secluded area.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Is that 700 lumens stock or after you modded it?

Mine started life ā€œmoddedā€, a host kit is a light with no led or driver. The light I linked just needs a battery. It uses 7 x AMC7135 chips so about 2.5a, mine uses a different driver that gives 2.6a, you wouldnā€™t be able to tell the difference side by side. So mine is good indicator of the standard u2 light, only real difference is, if I want the blinkies, I can pick them with the tailcap, the driver is either 5 mode or 3 mode, you pick what you want on the clicky, its also current controlled in all light levels, you never see flicker on a fan or running engine, whilst pwm doesnā€™t really bother me, and the nanjg drivers are sufficiently high pwm its almost unnoticeable, you can see it on the pulleys of a running engine. Since this is where my light seeā€™s most action, its nice not to have it.

My driver also has memory (the nanjg drivers do too) so I memory low mode, high is a click away.

Saw this light a few days ago. Really tempting, host cost only $2.5 less :open_mouth:
I donā€™t understand very well group switching :expressionless: ā€œRuning 5 seconds on Low mode the light will flash,then you charge group by half pressing the switch.ā€
So, if Iā€™m on LO, and then I want HI, it will change the group instead of HI? :~
Host review by match: Review: OEM hosts from CNQG/Fancyflashlights.com

No, if you want high, wait for the flashing to finish, then select high.

It sounds odd, till you have a light with a selectable set of groups in hand, then it all makes sense,
If you want to change groups, select low, after a couple of seconds the light will flash, after or during the flashing turn off and on, you change groups (depends on the driver as to the exact when) if you just leave it, no mode change happens and you keep low.

A few of my lights have this setup now and for me it works fine, I can get 3 modes or blinkies, what ever I want and the (small) price to pay is a flash on low. I really wouldnā€™t worry about it tbh, its a good UI.

But then, it will always blink on LO after 5 sec?
Thanks, gords :wink:

PS: donā€™t remember very well, but that driver has low volt. warning or does it turns off automatically at, lets say, 2.8V so you can use it with unprotected cells without any problem?

Sashi, it's very similar to the UI Balder uses on the BD-2. It really does make sense once you use it a few times.

Pok, thanks for the link on the XIAOZHI.

But then, it will always blink on LO after 5 sec?
Thanks, gords :wink:

PS: donā€™t remember very well, but that driver has low volt. warning or does it turns off automatically at, lets say, 2.8V so you can use it with unprotected cells without any problem?

I think the low voltage warning is at 3v, yes you can use unprotected cells, you just have no over current protection ie dead short situation. I would prefer protected cells myself although I have just bought four unprotected Samsung 2800mah cells, Iā€™m covered for fussy lights, Iā€™ve just not found any yet, I have used one all week in a light on test (testing both cell capacity and light durability), that included extended time in a head strap as a head light - Iā€™m not that worried, and that light did have a reflector shorting issue that Iā€™ve resolved now.

Bottom line for me, ideally, good protected cells, a driver that has low volt cut off is a nice secondary protection but Iā€™m unconvinced about it being the only protection, with the reflector short, I read 19a at the tail capā€¦ā€¦think on that when saving a couple of dollars, a protection circuit would have tripped, as it was I could have had a nasty accident if Iā€™d not found and dealt with the issue.

Tr 801 is small too 118mm

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/trustfire-tr801-3mode-memory-led-flashlight-118650-p-5554

Thanks.

Not to be picky, but thatā€™s a whole 4 fricken millimeters longer than the last two suggestionsā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Although the tr-801 is supposedly more meaty host - better able to deal with heat, as I donā€™t yet have one, I donā€™t know for sure.

If lengths of no concern, Iā€™d go for a trustfire t2 (side switch host) fit a 20mm 3up xp-g2 nw emitter set up with optics and a 12 x AMC7135 ak47 driver (yep, its stacking time).

Thatā€™s one in the works, although substitute xp-g2 for nichia 219 hi criā€¦.

Oh, one more thing. Any problems with battery fit? Does any 18650 fit with no problems? I was gonna choose between the palight and the EDC but it seems the palight has some battery fit problems.

I sent the following question to sales@cnqualitygoods.com:

I got the following response from RIC:

Thanks sanka.

I have a keeppower 3400mah cell in mine, how much bigger would you like to go? :bigsmile:

Ahaā€¦ :bigsmile:

Thanks.

I went to buy it though I don't need it and I cant log in. Is that good or bad?