Smallest Brightest AA/14500??

I’m sure this has been asked before but maybe not this specific.
I’m wondering if there are any other lights available that would be better than my Xeno Eo3 (v2 XML NW) to add to my humble collection.

So far I haven’t found anything better (except a new version Eo3 XML2). Can’t say enough about how great this little light is for the price, it’s amazingly bright, and its reliable, I’ve been pretty hard on it for over a year and never had any problems with it.

I’ve looked at a lot of the low cost xxxfire lights, SK68’s and clones but haven’t seen any that I thought that would be better than the Eo3 at only about a $10 difference in price. Reliability is a huge factor for me, let’s just say I want the light that is least likely to fail if my (or someone’s) life depended on using it, and from my experience with it the Eo3 is in that category.

Just wondered if anyone thinks they can identify a better AA/14500 light than the Eo3? Here is my opinion of what it would need to be:

1.) Smaller AND as bright or brighter than Eo3 XML NW

2.) Has a clip (or the availability of buying one that will fit properly)*

3.) multi-mode with no (or hidden) blinky modes

4.) Under $50.00

NW would be nice.

(*I’m using a LumaPower IncenDio clip that fits perfectly on my Eo3)

The closest thing I have found is the Eagletac D25A Mini, it is smaller (although it’s a twisty) and its XPG2 so I’m not sure if it would be as bright or brighter. I’m not sure if any of the D25 Mini series have XML?

I have been looking at some 18650 lights lately that are now competing with the size of an AA light, and I will be buying one of those soon as well, however I want to continue using an AA/14500 light as my main EDC because, even though I will primarily run it on a 14500, I like the option of being able to use readily available alkaline AA’s as a backup.

Maybe Eagletac D25A Clicky? Definitely smaller than E03, has nice clip, hidden blinky modes, about $51.90 with XM-L2, less with XM-L..

Ti (in the photo) is a bit more expensive..

+1

I have the Ti-version, but perhaps for daily use the Al-version is better: better heat-spreading (=very relevant in such a bright small light) and still very tough where needed (ss bezel)

Nitecore EA1 is much smaller (84cm) and brighter (180lumens on turbo mode) with NiMH battery. Much better thrower too, with clip, multi mode and well under $50.

ThruNite Archer 1A, is a bit taller but much brigher with NiMH, much better thrower, with clip, multi mode, well built and well under $50. The best choice, in my opinion.

What you are asking however, is the Zebralight SC52 with uses both AA/14500 and meets all your requirements except the price, but i guess you know this :slight_smile:

I have heard really good things about Old Lumens mag light mod. I won one that is on it’s way. (not for sale of course). But if you ask in the wanted to buy you might get lucky. I hear the Nichia led has a near perfect tint. Looking at how he builds them you can definitely tell they are quality. I would guess they are more reliable than anything that is mass produced. Quality control looks as good as humanly possible.

I have probably posted this same statement before, but i am consistently impressed by my Crelant V11A, and it meets all of your requirements…except maybe the smaller than one, but it rides my keychain daily.

I don’t own the Eo3 but it’s definitely more than enough on a 14500.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound-AA-Tactical-Flashlight-Cree-XML-U2-LED_p_3958.html

It is a Balder se-1 actually but at a better price. I have the EO3 and SE-1 which I find very similar in output with the SE-1 being a bit slimmer. Run both on 14500’s

It's a bit higher on the budget side, but I highly recommend the Zerbralight SC52.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/16494

I'm kind of blown away by it, compared to the other 14500/AA lights I tried so far - Crelant V11A, and Balder HD1.

Thanks everyone who has taken their time to reply! I’m going to take some time researching all of the lights that have been mentioned so far.

I’ve just taken a fast look at the Zerbralight SC52 and I’m really liking that one already. That one wasn’t even on my radar screen but now it’s moved to the front of my list! (Even though it is out of the price category for the comparison I still really like it and may go for one) I’m going to look for some reviews on it.

I really like the idea of the side switch. I’ve seen the light before but I didn’t know it was so short in length. I’m assuming the diameter (23.6 mm) is at the head? Because it looks to be thinner in the middle.

Compared to the eo3 it’s much shorter at 78.2mm vs 96.9mm, but a little fatter (eo3 dia. is 21.6mm)
At 500Lm it is rated brighter than the Xeno. Anyone know it the SC52 is available in NW?

I wish it had some knurling but then again the grooved body is very interesting and grippy looking. I also wish it had a magnetic tail cap to make good use of that nice big flat end, that would be awesome.

I also really like the Eagletac D25A and the D25A Mini but the rated output doesn’t seem to come close at about half or less than the Xeno. (200 for the D25 clicky vs 490 Lumens OTF for the Xeno w/14500) but maybe the eagletac puts out higher on a 14500? I’d like to see a beamshot comparison between those two, or statement from someone who has compared them.

The D25A (XM-L) clicky should give 550 OTF lumen on 14500

zebralight has most lumens ……cost more….
nitecore has best throw…….neat UI……red light option……voltage readout

also some people dont like led tint color of zl, (somebody that has one could comment please ),

I wish I could afford them both

D25a clicky XML gives over 700 lumens on XML, but it goes direct drive and loses the other modes. It also gets very hot very quickly so can only be used in short bursts. Hardly practical. The Ti D25a clicky 2013 edition has a proper driver that fully supports 14500 and retains its modes, but it isn’t nearly as bright as the 2012 driver.

The Zebralight SC52 is not yet available in neutral. A neutral version, the SC52w, is on its way… but it could be 6 months before it becomes available. Also because of how the SC52 is constructed, an emitter swap is almost impossible.

Thanks for the reply mkett!
I like the looks of that Balder, is the one you have exactly the same size as the Lighthound branded one in the link? Or is just slimmer in the middle section? Lighthound shows the size being longer and fatter (head & tail) than the Xeno.

24mm x 102mm

vs

21.6mm x 96.8mm for the Xeno

Yup, the head is much wider than the rest of the body or tailcap. It has no knurling, but grip is definitely not an issue.

The tint is cool white. As far as would be wishes for the next/improved version, I would love to see them upgrade to the xml2, a reversible clip, and a true rapid strobe mode.

In terms of output, I think the 500 lumen rating on high is accurate - it's about the same as the Crelant V11A, 7G3CS, UF C20, and it beats the balder hd1. The max output is only on for about a minute or a little over... which is a plus the light will not overheat, like the rest of the ones I listed.

A tailcap with a magnet, as an optional accessory would be awesome.

Very helpful post. Thanks!

Yes I would say those measurements are about right. They are so close in size it is not noticeable in pocket.
24mm x 102
vs
21.6 x 96.8

Sorry when it posted the whole quote was not there

balder HD-1 is much nicer. with lighthound rebranding it is much cheaper unfortunately currently out of stock.

I have the original brand one.

Please keep in mind that pulling a lot of current from a 14500 Li-Ion isn’t a good idea unless you’re using IMR cells. The better protected 14500s are only rated for 2C or about 1.5A current draw. With a XM-L2 or XP-G2 that’s good for maybe 500 lumen on a fully charged battery.

What do you mean not a good idea? Does this mean the battery could explode?

balder HD-1 is much nicer. with lighthound rebranding it is much cheaper unfortunately currently out of stock.

I have the original brand one

sorotantaz, do you own both the Xeno eo3 and Balder HD-1?