Smallest Brightest AA/14500??

You should always operate your light within the parameters of the type of battery you’re using.

You can safely use a single 14500 to run a 2 amp+ LED as long as you use an IMR battery with high discharge rate.

AW IMR 14500s are rated to safely discharge up to 4 amps. But be aware at that rate you’ll only get 9 minutes of light, and the light will heat up very fast.

Let me guess…

You live your life an IMR 14500 at a time, nothing else matters. Not the emitter, not the metal it’s made from, not the forum and all the online nonsense. For those 9 minutes (or less)… You’re free?

:bigsmile:

LMAO

easy Toretto….
I never narc’d on nobody! haha
:stuck_out_tongue:

You know, I had the exact same dilemma you have Op. I wanted something in 14500 but brighter than the e03 but same size. I did a lot of research and found out that there are 18650 lights that are the same size as the E03, but 2x brighter. The DQG 18650 is the one I settled on and it’s actually smaller than the Eo3 at around 500 of lumens. Another one is the niconature S10. Found also at CNQualitygoods website as well, with not much difference in size. Just my two cents.

You are absolutely correct, and I have been thinking the very same thing. In fact I am going to get the DQG 18650, I almost pre ordered one last week but decided to wait for some kind of review or feedback on it. Also it is about exactly the same price as a e03 and it has option for NW.

I was just thinking last night after typing a reply on this thread that with so many different lights now coming out smaller and smaller in different battery sizes maybe I should be thinking about which BATTERY type is best instead of which light is best in a specific battery class.

And between the three main Li-ion types suitable for a hi power pocket light (14500, 16340, 18650) the 18650 would have the best capacity due to size and mAh rating? (Correct me if I’m wrong on this)

So that took me in a new direction of thinking on this subject and the DQG was the first thing I thought of. It looks like an 18650 light may just be the outcome of the initial purpose for this thread.

And I remember looking at the niconature S10 recently as well, I will take another look at that one too.
Now I will search for a thread on “Smallest / Brightest 18650 light”!

haha, thats the exact name of my own thread i made some months ago:

Theres alot of 18650’s listed in that thread a couple of posts down all listed with lenght x width in MM so you dont have to go searching through chinese websites trying to find that info. Was hoping some day that thread would help someone else.

I did alot of research. there are some 14500’s brighter than an e03 (but not much), but they are far more expensive and they dont run for very long.

As for the quality of the DQG 18650, from all the things ive read about their other flashlights, they are top quality. I didnt hesitate once i found they werre making the DQG 18650, i pulled that trigger the minute they were available. Only thing is that its a twisty, and not a clicky. Cant get a clicky that small becuase of the size of a switch. So im delving into the realm of twistys to see how I like them.

Too funny, I just did the search only one thread came up, then I laughed when I saw you started it!

I also have been looking at the Olight S20 for a few weeks now, even though it’s a little longer than the e03, I really like the form of it and the side switch. Unfortunately It’s not available in NW and I’ve read some posts about an ugly green tint. A little hard to resist just grabbing one though at this price:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Olight-S20-BATON-Cree-XM-L-LED-Flashlight/803660_720977100.html

This is the same seller where I bought my Black Shadow Terminator, but I got it from their website not on Ali.

Hahhaha.

Still, that’s what brightness settings are for. With a DrJones driver installed I have 16 different brightness settings and can ramp both directions by holding the button down. I also have instant shortcuts to minimum, 10% and 100%. The light also zooms and has decent throw in spot mode.

as the option range has widened, here's an alternative for those who expect assurance of realibility.

http://www.eagletac.com/html/d25lc2m/index.html

:)

damm, I read this whole thread in one hit….

result, the 18650 light thats been in my pocket for months would suit fine once a qlite driver is fitted :~

I’m actually venturing into 16340 lights (something I said I wouldn’t do…) the sub 2a limit is already bugging me to be honest, particularly since I edc both an 18650 tube light and an 18650, p60 sized light ( cnqg d4 or d5, convoy m1 or roche f8 in fasttech terms). Result of my investigation, I have a tlf mini 02 coming and have found an xp-g host that takes 16340 cells so it’ll be a de chipped qlite driver at 1.7a, xp-g2 3d. Should be fun at least.

Edit, to answer sorantaz, I do like reliability, that’s why I build my own lights, I get high quality at budget prices, check the forum name before suggesting you have to blow a wad to get a light that switches on reliably :stuck_out_tongue:

I [still] love 16340/CR123 lights. Something about the short fat shape. Makes for solid tailstanding. :slight_smile: For short burst use they’re great.

The BLF Mini01 is great. Have a few scattered ’round my house… so tiny you can keep one just about anywhere. I’m sure the 02 will be great too.

:smiley: sorry for the newbieness :smiley:
anyway i really like to see a depth review on DQG 18650.it just so small considering the battery.

I’m sure there will be much talk of them when they start being delivered. They are supposed to start shipping the 11th.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and continuing to post even though it has been ever changing from the specs of the OP. Now I think the OP should have been titled “Smallest Brightest Li-ion light”

I really like the D25 series, it appears this D25Lc2m is available in NW but only with XPG s2, you have to move to the (longer) D25Lc2 Clicky to get the XML NW.

Can anyone say if the D25Lc2 2xCR123/18650 series also lose the lower modes functionality when running on Li-ion/IMR, as reported on the AA/14500 series? (I’m thinking only the AA/14500 D series have that problem since their spec. shows “4.2v partially supported” vs the spec. on the Lc2 which shows “4.2v fully supported”)

Again I really want to love these D25 series, but so far from what I have read they’re not really logical for running on Li-ion/IMR. (hopefully not the 18650 series) I don’t want to go back to disposable batteries.

I assume these Eagletacs are super reliable? I’m not a modder (yet!) so for now I need reliability in an OEM package.
At $15 more than the DQG18650 these are in the “next level” of pricing but being that they aren’t over $50 I still consider them to be somewhat “budget” compared to similar lights that cost nearly $100. They are sleek and I like the deep carry screwed on clip and ss bezel. Too bad the D25 Lc2 MINI isn’t available with XML.

I will be considering a D25Lc2/Lc2m, and I’m also looking forward to the upcoming feedback on the DQG.

Another vote for the Zebralight SC52. Around $64. 500 lumens for one minute with a 14500. UI lets you directly enter High, medium, or low from off. Once in high, medium, or low, simply double click to get a seconday high, medium, or low. You don’t lose any modes with a 14500. Click four times from off to get flashes showing your battery level. If the primary or secondary levels are not enough you can program a different secondary level. There are several low modes, and the lowest low is 0.01 lumens. No one has ever said they wished it went lower.

I edc one, and love it. It is hard to beat the UI and brightness. One click for high, two for medium, three for low. Or press and hold to imediatly get medium. Press and continue to hold from off or on, and it will cycle from low to medium to high.

$54.40 right now with coupon code: sc52restock
https://illuminationsupply.com/zebralight-c-28_56/zebralight-sc52-cool-white-p-274.html

Agreed, VERY VERY hard to resist J)

DQG 18650 ordered. I decided to take a chance on it since the DQG AAA light had good reviews.

That one, the ZebraLight sc52 and Eagletac D25LC2 mini are the three finalists that I gleaned out of posting this thread and research, but currently neither of those last two are available in NW.

And I decided to get all 3! :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: I’m a Flashaholic now and there’s no turning back. J) J)

EDIT:
SUNWAYMAN C20C Tomahwak
Now also on my radar!

Cool. Would be nice if you post a mini comparison review of them. Tell us what you think of them.

I like the look of this one.

C20C is kinda meh to me, but SWM makes very nice lights.