***Sofirn Anduril Headlamp Discussion***

C’mon, you don’t want to be the first kid on your block with a headlamp that does both lightning-mode and candle-mode?

I would love to see a single emitter, 519A with OP reflector and a good headband, one that is easy to remove the light from so that one could use the magnet in the tailcap if desired! Oh… and 14500!

I really like the fact Sofirn is making Pro models of existing lights, it gives good choices for those who want simple or not. The SP10 Pro is a great light (but it needs a lighted button!) and dual chemistry on a HS05 would be amazing. The SP40/HS40 pro models could also be great and unique in the market. Just make sure a magnet tail is available and the switch light doesn’t drain too much.

I like the HS05 but a honeycomb/DC Fix lens makes it more useful for most situations. The same with a frosted/diffused lens for the other headlamps as well over a narrow TIR.

Ive been debating on a couple of your headlamps with redlight but not fully sold on any of them.
Id be interested in an Anduril headlamp with Deep Red SST20

Any chance of ever doing the SC31 Pro with different emitters? Id love an SC31 Pro with LH351D or SST20.

Good point. I could pretend I was a new MC character…….“LIGHTNING HEAD” :-[ /\\\\\\\\\

“Hey, Light-Head! C’mon, Christmas-Tree!”

Something that’s missing in this thread; a size comparison of current Sofirn right angled headlamps.

Deep red and 5000k emitters with the lt1 style tint mixing would be sweet.

If you are going to make it usb chargeable then please don’t just use a rubber cap. I need more water resistance than that, something with a solid o ring protection or no built in charging at all would be better.

1 Thank

If no charging is an option, then RTVing the charge port to permanently seal it off works. Wasteful, but it works.

Hard to keep track of all the varieties, but the D-series (D25, etc.) I’m pretty sure has the unscrew-the-captive-end-cap method of sealing the charge port.

I have found Sofirn’s port covers to be exceptionally excellent and well sealed, particularly the larger one they use on LT1 variants, Q8 Pro, and SP36.

The last thing i need in headlamp is integrated charger. Why the heck i have to wear on my head a bloody charger, which takes space and adds weight!

1 Thank

“I”, “I”, “I”. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s what YOU want/need. Other people have different needs/wants.

Lotta people are used to the convenience of plugging in and recharging their phones, shavers, garlic mincers, bedroom toys, mp3 players, everything.

They also want that same convenience for their fancy-ass flashlights/headlamps vs having to keep a separate charger, opening up the doodad, removing/charging/replacing the cell, closing it again, and all the while having the doodad be out of commission and in pieces.

“We” may be so-called “enthusiasts”, but most normies just want A Light Appliance™. Most normies probably don’t even care about color-temp, CRI, etc., and just want something “to light up $#|+” and that’s it. I think it’s a small miracle that we even have 4000K, 2700K, let alone 2200K, or 90CRI, R9080, etc., instead of ghastly 7000K 60CRI LED lights.

That’s something “we” gotta keep in mind.

You do not understood, for example Skilhunt headlamps have no integrated charger PCB, but you can charge it ! …Lotta people … lotta people do not know what they are buying . BTW Headlamp is a wearable POWER TOOL not a bloody garlic mincer or bedroom toy :smiley:

There is an additional PCB for the charger IC in the H04RC, it’s on the other side of the magnetic contact. But it doesn’t take any space since the assembly has about the same thickness as the body top wall, and add something like 1g.
It’s an exception though, usually the lights are lengthened to accommodate for the charging port and circuit (e.g. Sofirn)

I thought charger is integrated in charging cable. Anyway… the mastery of Skilhunt design is not reachable for Sofirn.

Actually you’re right, the charger is indeed in the cable, the chip on the contact PCB is a battery protection IC for short circuit protection for the magnetic contacts.

Wellp, my mechanic got himself a… forgot if Sofirn or Wurkkos… headlamp at my recommendation. He loves it. Uses it in addition to the under-hood lamp that he hangs, because it’s close to his eyes and can look into crevices that’re otherwise in shadow, beyond the reach of the under-hood lamp. That’s as much of a power-tool usage as you can get.

But he only got it because it was rechargeable in situ. He has to screw around with other battery-powered lamps and lanterns, had to toss one completely because he damaged the charger (I get the feeling it was one of those 4.2V chargers with a proprietary plug), and he was pretty thrilled that he could recharge his headlamp on-the-fly (even when wearing it, I think) with his powerbank and same charging cable as his phone takes.

But most power-tools have battery packs that pop out, charge in a base, then pop back in, and you can pop in a spare pack when charging the spent one. Thank B’harni (pbuh!) we don’t have to disassemble the pack into individual cells, charge them individually in a 12-bay charger, then reassemble the bleedin’ thing when done.

Even if 1 cell, it’s a nekkid cell that you can’t keep in your pocket along with keys, loose change, etc. Well, you can, if you don’t mind occasionally bursting into flames.

But I know people for whom their phone is a tool. Insurance adjustors, salesmen, businessdewds, etc. Pretty sure we all want to forget dropping a cellphone into a plugged-in base-station to charge. (Well, I never had to, as I got into phones way late in the game.) But anyway, having a universal charger for phone, light, anything else that takes a usb plug, is pretty handy. And even those who see their light as a tool are thankful for that.

Me? I got enough lights without built-in charging, that it doesn’t really bother me, but most normies do want that convenience. Face it, we’re the weirdos who put up with buying separate chargers and picking’n’choosing which cell we use.

Magnetic charger? Those are pretty common. The adapter doesn’t deliver just 5V USB voltage, but have the CC/CV “4.2V” circuit built-in, yeah.

I got a… think it’s a Nextorch… light that has a cylindrical “charger” which is just plastic and metal, no circuit inside other than the power jack. The wall-wart is what has the smarts, the aforementioned CC/CV charger built into that.

Even one of those cheap crappy spotlight+COB+filters doodads has that kind of adapter. Zero smarts in the light itself, just the cell brought out to the jack, and charged via that adapter.

Problem is, lose that adapter, and you don’t charge the device anymore unless/until you get another one.

So there’s good and bad with the design. Depends what you want. It’d be just as easy to have the magnetic contacts demand 5V usb voltage, and still have the CC/CV charger inside. And if the cell’s plus/minus are simply brought out to the contacts, it’s possible to short them together and have the light go supernova.

Again, good and bad.

And some lights (eg, cheapcrap spotlight+COB lights) only bring out the cell’s contacts to the charging jack.