Sofirn SP10 Pro (AA/14500/Andúril 2) - now available!

I think that highly unlikely. The SP10S is not very big

yay!
thanks for the update

BAD idea!

Hmm, go on… (I honestly do want to hear your reasoning)

This would be a max 800 lumen light with temperature regulation. And the majority of people will likely leave this light in Simple UI. Would you have them only get access to 400 lumens when they bought an 800 lumen light? The current Sofirn UI gives users access to the full power. Why should that not continue?

Simple UI is supposed to not be capable of burning people.

The ones that know how to use maximum safely, switch to Advanced.

> This would be a max 800 lumen light with temperature regulation.

can it do that without burning?

I dont think simple mode should have Turbo… imho, it should not only be safe in terms of heat, it should operate at a more regulated sustainable output, with longer runtimes

I would use a ceiling of 400 lumens for Simple mode, and market the longer runtime that produces.

wooooooo I am ready!!! Hope they have some cool color choices.

Yeah it’s not super powerful, I only see a point in limiting simple UI ceiling for multi emitter FET lights.

I understand your concerns. IMHO, it's a typical dilemma here to fulfill everybody's wishes:

• Those people who consider Simple UI as Muggle mode (as in Andúril 1) will certainly ask for a significantly reduced max output by default.
  • Those people who consider Simple UI just as a more essential, stripped down UI with basic functions will most likely ask for max output by default.
  • The manufacturer will have to deal with customer complaints. As far as I have learned, Sofirn is concerned about dissatisfied customers who think their light is not working up to its specs (= max output advertised). A certain proportion of customers feels reluctant to read the manual first, no matter what. They try the light out and think, what the heck...it's not really bright, is it? These cases seem to happen more often than cases where people complain about too much power or excess heat.

The good news is that Andúril 2 is flexible enough to set these parameters to your personal preference. Moreover, I believe that a max output of roundabout 800lm is not as harmful in terms of excess heat as 11000lm in a Q8 Pro light. However, a word of caution in the safety precautions of the manual can never be wrong. ;)

By the way, this flashlight will now be named Sofirn SP10 Pro. I guess that fits quite well with respect to their SC31 and SC31 Pro model. :)

In terms of emitter choices Sofirn said they were going to use Samsung's LH351D in 2700K, 4000K and 5000K all in 90CRI. As usual, there is no way of choosing specific chromaticity bins ("dogfarts" for example in 5000K). Using a non-coated glass lens should be the most reasonable choice, not only with regard to efforts but also to material costs.

As far as I am informed, there will not be any internal charging circuitry, i.e. no USB-C port. Since some people will be using AA alkalines or disposable AA lithium primary batteries, internal charging could be considered highly controversial in terms of safety risks.

well, I suppose for those people, including me, that want to use the SP10 Pro with Eneloop, it makes sense to have Simple mode be able to reach the top of the ceiling. There will be no burn danger with AA batteries.

I look forward to Sofirn’s success in producing the first commercially available AA powered Anduril light…

Congrats on the progress.

Is there room to include flashing pads similar to BLF LT1 rev 5 layout?

It's a ATMEL AVR-1 series so only 3 pins needed (+, -, and programming pin), but it's the plan to have the 3 pins exposed, yes, on the spring side of the driver. We hope they can make it happen in production.

I am interested in one 2700k.

Can I get my light custom engraved with “Dogfart Edition”?

I’m so glad this project is still moving forward.
This seems like a great first Anduril light to give someone, since there’s no risk of burns/pocket fires even if they do accidentally activate turbo.

interested.

If there is not enough space only one is really needed (UDPI), GND and power can be connected to the batt- ring and batt+ spring/contact. This is what I do on small drivers.

Tom, this is wonderful news! It sounds like this one may be a real winner when produced!

There are lots of companies to look up online for custom laser engraving service, but if you want it on a flashlight barrel, you’ll need to make sure they can engrave cylindrical objects. Not all engravers can.

I think you should spell it correctly: “DAOGF4RT Edition”

By the way, touching on what Lux-Perpetua said, the last two digits RT are the full-step bin. The part it seems like no one has been able to successfully specify is the half bins of R1 or R2 for 5000K, which would have the better tint than R3 or R4. RT covers the full range of R1-R4, and seems to be the only way that LH351D’s are currently sold.

Hoping this makes it in time for Christmas :partying_face:

I’m definitely interested in this one. Just curious about the current version though - how does the temperature regulation work with turbo? Does it cut down output based on temperature or timing? I know some lights like the tool AA just use a 3 minute timer, so you can activate turbo multiple times and get the light red hot. Does the SP10S do the same?

Also, as usual wanting this light sooner rather than later, hopefully it’s released well before Christmas for gifts