Sofirn SP70 Alone $50, PM for AMZ US CODE(LIMITED)

Which comment?

The one about insulating the fins and switch area? I’m not sure what you mean by that. It sounds like a bad idea. We want to get heat out, not trap it in.

The one about moving the threads behind the shelf? That’s basically like making a one piece head which they said they can’t do.

No, an earlier one:

As to insulation:
By insulating physical UI we indeed somewhat reduce dissipation area.
But this enables us to tweak the thermal settings to run the rest of the light hotter, increasing temperature delta between light and air.

In effect we should get hot-but-not-too-hot light around the switch and hotter-than-without-insulation light elsewhere.
LED temperature would be higher, but total heat shedding capability better.

You will need to explain this as I don’t know what you mean. Are you just talking about adding an extra fin somewhere?

Repost of pics:

Limiting the heat path in a direction forcing heat to spread to other areas sounds good but i dont think it works like that because when the LED runs hotter even slightly after a certain point you instantly lose output.

Maybe we should just build the light around a radiator lol

Hmmm gives me an idea for this years scratch build.

We are not able to tweak any thermal settings. Maybe you mean adjust the brightness so it runs a bit brighter or do you mean if you swap in a different driver that is running Narsil?

It kind of sounds like your saying to wear gloves as that let’s you run the light at higher temps. :smiley:

You might be able to add a layer of silicone rtv to certain areas your hands touch, but I don’t think there is any type of factory finish that can be applied to do this. Sofirn is going to do the regular black anodization.

Jason, i think if we could add some material here we could have a quite good compromise.

Sorry for the crappy edit, i can only use my phone a.t.m.

2 variants of the first-fin suggestion, one up one down:

ADDED:

Yes, I mean a built-in glove. :wink:
And tweaking the firmware looks like adjusting the default thermal ceiling value, just it.

Or this, might be even easier to manufacture.

All my drawings are from my phone as well. :+1:

You are talking about adding a lot of extra weight where we already added some.

I like overkill, but Sofirn may think we are crazy. Lol

I don’t know if it would help heat transfer, as there is no bottleneck in that area, but it should help extend the turbo run time. It takes longer to heat up all that mass.

I’m curious what the other folks here think.

We’ll see :smiley:
(BTW, Nice results from your phone, which app do you use?)

I recognize the picture, but I don’t see any changes you did. Where should I be looking?

If there’s thickness increase in 1), we can remove some weight from there…

Oh, wait, I thought the 1) meant using the whole black area. Now I think it was meant to be a much smaller increase. :wink:

The stock app for a Note 4. I open a picture in the gallery and can then draw on it. I have a stylus which helps with precision.

You just defined thermal resistance.

If there was no thermal resistance between the shelf and the fins, they would all heat up evenly.

The only reason they do not is because the thermal resistance prevents the heat from effectively transferring to the fins.

Yes, but the issue with that design was they could not manufacture it (the fins on the tapered piece)

Maybe another design

I wonder how did they want to manufacture the the concepts 2, 3, 5 then. They have most fins placed on slopes. Or rather - slopes composed of fins of different height.

If Sofrin cant make a one piece head, I think the next best thing is to add fins around the side switch part.

I wonder how big the fins around the switch need to be to make a difference?

Okay, I took Yokiamy (10) and Agro’s (9) ideas and put them into this image.

That is much better, not ideal but an improvement.

Also could be the best we can get out of them having worked with some flashlight manufactures myself. Assuming they even agree to this of course.