Sofirn SP70 Alone $50, PM for AMZ US CODE(LIMITED)

This was already discussed. The rating will be lower than actual because they are using poor batteries. Best to ignore the official throw rating and lumen rating.

Mhhh...strange. IIRC, the ANSI formula to calculate the range is:

Range = 2 * sqrt (cd), i.e. 2 * sqrt (89,733). This equals to 599m and not 687m. Is there a mistake in my calculation or the formula?

You are correct. 90Kcd is 600 meters.

The 687m number is their results using the Sofirn 3000mah 18650 cell. So a simple mistake.

There is no driver’s retaining ring on the final prototype sketch, does it mean that it will be glued ?
As glued driver is the new sofirn’s trend, i’m a bit worried as it will be another absolute “no go” for me again if they are doing so with this one.

Thank you JasonWW. I will get in touch with Sofirn, so they can rectify those values in their manual.

I will ask Sofirn for an answer but I have no clue how reliable their answer will be. They said the SP70 can be used with flat tops but I really doubt that.

That would be sad if it was glued…

I would say, if they want to develop flashlights with us flashaholics, they have to use driver retainer or driver screws (like on the Q8) but no glue.
I would think we have to force them to not glue the drivers.

Besides the cool white tint, they prefer, its the bigger “no go” for me, too.

I hope to get some answers by tomorrow. At least Sofirn is running a poll for alternative emitters/tints, so maybe there‘s a chance for a more neutral/warm white SP70 later on. I wonder if an AR coated glas lens would yield significantly more output.

Where is Sofirn’s poll?

Real Sony cells came today, complete with an AWT charger. 2 cells and charger, shipped, for $19.95…

BUT, where the 2 Samsung 30T made 12,488 lumens in my triple MT-G2, these make 9,485 lumens. A drop of 3,000 lumens! The pair of Samsung’s allowed 27A to flow, these two Sony’s only allow 16.8A. Internal resistance on these “new cells” is 48mOhm according to my MiBoxer C4-12 charger.

Edit: FWIW, new Shockli 5500mAh 26650 button tops also only yield 16.7A.

Yeah, let’s not forget that the 30T are new 40A cells, while the Sony 26650s are old 30A cells.

I just tested new Shockli 5500mAh 26650’s, the newest ones with the labeling to be read with the cell standing on end… same 16.7A. These are rated 20A continuous and 30A pulse

In my modified D4S, a Golisi cell gives 19.22A, the new Sony yields 15.46… this is of course a single cell to 4 Samsung LH351D W6 5000K emitters. Edit: For realism, the Shockli does 15.06A in my D4S, so the new Sony actually beats the highly regarded Shockli, albeit with literally half the capacity.

What he said.

Sorry, I forgot to add the link. Here it is:

Answered a long time ago.

We just need to use common sense. The batteries are in series from head to tail. So the ends need to stick out enough that they make contact. As there are no standards for Liion cells you have to evaluate every choice. Some flat tops are kind of tall and make contact, some aren’t.

Sofirn said their 26650 5000/5500mah and 21700 4000mah cells are tall enough to touch, even though they are not button top.

They said 5350K to 5700K.

This is due to 4 years of chemistry improvements. Ya gotta love these newer batteries. :smiley:

May be just the same old one if he measure at 0s

Perfect!! Great choice Sofirn…. :+1: