[Sold] 4. Batch "TA" Bistro/Bistro HD OTSM/Narsil drivers, 46mm for Q8 1S or 2S, Clicky or E-switch, SIR404

Also thought about that he wrote that the Tail LED did not lit up with a resistor above 200 Ohm, this would mean that R1 or R2 might be broken or have a cold solder connection

Signal current and MCU power are totally different stories
A 4 core CPU with 100W power has about 1.000.000.000 transistors
So each transistor has a power of 100nW at 1.2V, this is the power loss over the whole transistor, the gate current is only a fraction of it

What the actual current on Pin7 is you can likely look at the tiny85 datasheet
Lets say it has 1M Ohms resistance and you got like 40-300mV on R2,

Ups they did it again!

Again no ground rings
for the people with MF01 drivers 2 things to get it fixed

I try to get Oshpark do them right which adds 3 weeks and I am note sure if they get it right this time
or
I add a thin layer of solder which I sand plane so that the 3 spots around the holes get higher than the solder mask to make contact to the brass ring
in this case when I get a refund from Oshpark I refund you 3.35$ per driver

R1 = 809ohm
R2 = 1240ohm (checked on 2 different multimeters)

Here is the picture:

the solder bridge from the 7135 to the FET gate resistor is bad, you got to remove this
you basically short the single 7135 output directly with the FETs gate

The 01b on R1 is right it is a 1k Ohm 1%
R2 is 3.3kOhm

your reading are both correct for the used resistors
it sounds not logical, but R1 and R2 have both a 1kOhm bleeder resistor parallel
I ignore the 4.7Ohm calculating it correctly it is too small anyway to have any impact

just look on the circuit diagram

so if you are measuring R1
so you measure 1kOhm with 3.3k+1k parallel to it
the value should be 767 Ohms

if you measure R2
you have 3.3kOhm and 1+1K parallel to it
the value should be 1245 Ohms

so far so good, to get the real deal would be to measure the voltage on R1 and R2 on the side towards the MCU
when the light is on you should have about 3V with full battery
shortly after you switch the driver off you should have about 0V

I would add solder MCU pin 7 to be sure there is no cold solder joint and measure the voltage there as well

So:

• fixed bad solder bridge (checked using multimeter)
  • resoldered R2 resistor - now it is correctly showing 3.3kOhm

Checked resistance between mcu pin 7 and:

• R1 -> 1kOhm
  • R2 -> 3.3kOhm
  • other side of R1 and R2 -> 0 ohm
  • ground -> 3.3kOhm

Resistance between R1 and ground -> 4.3kOhm.

In the tailcap there is 1 green led + 1kOhm.

Result: I can advance modes, cannot go back. Medium press (>0.5s) is interpreted as long press (light is reset to 1st mode).

My ideas: I soldered BR bad (because R1 to ground should be BR, so 1kOhm, not 4.3kOhm). Is it correct? What do you think?

your current measurements show that when soldering on the BR you disconnected it
Remove it completely and solder 470 ohms across C1, same electrical connection,
but a with a fitting 0805 pad and no other parts making it harder to solder it

now 100% of the tail LED current flows through R1 and R2 messing with the offtime detection, so the driver thinks its not shut down because too much voltage drop over R2, you have to get below 0.6V to get a safe OFF detection
The bleeder is necessary for OTSM to bypass R1 and R2 when the light is off to a certain degree

there are just fast and medium presses in Bistro, if it advances to lowest mode it counts as shutting the light off for a while

if the Bleeder is 1K its just 19% and you are fine

if you have 1kOhms Bleeder the tail resistor should be 3-5 times bigger to be balanced

next time just tell me you want a BR on the driver when I send it to you and you got it,
without the risk messing it up and I test it with the resistor on it

I’ve resoldered BR (1K) and put in tailcap 2 pairs of green led + 4.7K. Seems to be working, but when I reassembled the light, I could not change modes. Probably something touches copper part, because when loosened retaining ring, everything is back to normal (possible to change modes in both directions and green leds are on). Tomorrow I will use kapton tape to isolate elements on the board.

yeah if the retaining ring short on the wrong spot it can burn R5 or mess with other parts

never mind, too busy to follow closely, but lexel's points have all sounded fine, just read your last post g_damien, and deleted my other details, as they aren't needed now. It seems like you've got it about tracked down. Glad it's working out.

"there are just fast and medium presses in Bistro, if it advances to lowest mode it counts as shutting the light off for a while"

Yes, but this often gets loosely referred to as a long press as it sometimes gets used like one, precisely to return to the lowest mode. In fact in HD a long press triggers from either a full power off or from exceeding the time threshold, even before full power shutdown occurs, so it's configurable up to the hardware limit. It was also configurable in OTC for that matter too but it was programmatically identical to a full power off in that case. It's not in HD.

The bleeder isn't needed if you use R1 and R2 totaling about 1kOhm (811 Ohm would be exactly equivalent actually). Yes all the current will flow through R2, but I x R2 is compensated by lower R2 so voltage drop is the same, and total effective resistance and total current are also the same. So long as Reff is the same and Rled is the same, voltage drop on R2 is the same. But it doesn't matter. Either way works.

totally true
but its easier to add a bleeder than replacing two resistors
just don’t go too low as it affects the power drain on moonlight

Send some drivers today including 2 MF01 drivers

I would like to get an MF01 narsilM.

Also the OTSM drivers should be working with 2S now, just needed to add a diode

MF01 waiting list

when 3 are requested I order again 3 boards from oshpark

1x chooma
1x JIGHEADWORM

Lexel, Flintrock: Thank you very much, finally it is finished! :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s nice. What light is that?

Astrolux S41/Manker E14 modded

The problem with missing ground rings should be fixed for my drivers, as first I have the knowledge that the fab with super swift service does not has this issue.

And the cause was Texas_Ace´s too big solder mask clearance caused this issue on the slow fab, as it collided with the boards around and got deleted automatically.

New design of TA boards I have made fix this issue on all sizes.
left new designed ground ring does not exceed the board outline anymore

Two quick questions, may already been answered, but I am working and havent had enough time to look through all 12 pages thoroughly yet. I will do so when I get home.

1) I see this driver can do lighted switch and battery voltage indicator blink (w/o calibration). Can it do both on the same light ? (preferably w/bat. indicator led only when light is on)
If so, I am thinking this could be done either….
….A) by having only one led in the switch for each function, one say red and the other blue ?
…….B) machining a spot for the voltage indicator LED in the body or head somewhere

2) 30mm still available as follows ? unsure of wire length for main LED as I do not have the host in hand yet
……. 1) 30mm , 2s , NarsilM , LDO , No Calibration , PO=NO , lighted side switch , Convoy L6 , with LED wires ( ? possible separate bat. voltage indicator light ?)

Thanks,
Jim

It only has one switch light output, like the Q8.

The calibration is for temperature. Although you can request a unique lvp point. 3v, 2.9v, 2.8v, etc…

Batt check is activated by triple click. The main led blinks out the voltage. I think the switch led can blink in unison with the main led for this.

Low voltage warning is 3 blinks of main led, followed by step down. I think the switch led does 3 blinks as well.

So you can’t have 2 seperate indicator switch lights. Only one.