Sold out: $20 HD2010 & $15 Convoy C8 copper pills

Werner, I ordered a Convoy C8 from FastTech, the DIY model with no driver or emitter, for $10…got to Texas in 6 days. You might consider that an option, get another, nab another pill from Ryan while you’re getting the HD2010 one (you know you want to) and you’ll be able to have 2 C8’s nicely modded or one very nice gift for someone special. :wink:

That is something I had not considered, I was thinking about adding my name to Bort’s for M1 pills but the brass pill in there already seems fairly decent, I can see more reason to change out the Convoy C8. Thanks for pointing this out.

Got my pills in the mail today. Everything looks great, thanks for your effort on this Ryan!

I have the same host ordered on fasttech too, just before few days.
But even if they are fast it takes 2 weeks for a tracked package to my country…I should have ordered it at the same time….

If I buy another pill the only one who will get this as a gift is myself :bigsmile:

Glad to know that the pills are reaching you guys. :slight_smile:

I’m presently surprised by the swift shipping times.

Arrived. The pill is pretty dense.

Awesome, thanks for the notice.

The stock pills are feather weight compared to these massive pills. :slight_smile:

Received mine today, they look great! It looks like though there's no room to stack 7135's inside the C8 pill, though the pill top is really, really thick. Maybe I got confused was that an option for the C8 pills to have them with more clearance in the pill? Can't find previous posts or any info on the clearance in the OP. Did find we discussed about the HD2010 pills, not the C8's.

I don't see any other choice but to drill or dremel out interior copper to make clearance. Still, these are awesome!! Got one more HD2010 from TMART today also - the TangsFire in black from HK/China.

Looks great!
Thanks Ryan for putting this together. Now the waiting for my xm-l2 noctigon……

Received today, thanks Ryan :beer:

My apologies for not being clear Tom about the Convoy C8 pills’ clearance. I did not make an extended version of that pill because of the cost and price cut. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I do think you can stack an extra layer of AMC7135 chips on the top, and have them heatsinked as well?

Glad to hear that you guys are getting your pills, thanks for letting me know!

In the Convoy C8 pill, I measured 2.44 mm clearance under the board (from the shelf) and a 7135 is 1.48mm, so that's 2.96 mm required at a minimum, so it won't make it adding just one more stack. Also, I'm having trouble seating the Nanjg driver on the shelf because of the width of the shelf - it rubs on the corners of 2 of the pre-mounted 7135's. Now I've had this problem before (recently), and had to heat up the 7135 and slide it towards the center, but I don't like doing that - not sure what the effect is. I'll probably try dremeling out some of the width of the shelf to get more clearance. The Nanjg's for 2 of the 4 7135's on the underside are really, really tight - corners of the chips hang over onto the ground ring on the edge of the driver.

But I can notice the shelf for the driver mount on your pills are maybe twice the width of the copper pills I have from VOB, and the Fasttech C8 brass pills, the brass rings for mounting drivers, and a couple of other aluminum pills I have laying around. It's not a problem on many drivers I suppose, but the Nanjg's and QLite's I got here are really tight on the edges.

I've had issues with the Qlites having the chips on top of the ground ring, not allowing the driver to seat properly. I just notch out for the chip, didn't want to move it on the board. Seems they could place them more towards the center rather easily, but they don't.

Is that version of the HD2010 the best one in your opinion? I've been looking at em and just can't tell from the pics and descriptions which is which. Almost pulled the plug moments ago, just couldn't tell if it would be a mistake. Mine is grey, with cree xml on one side, no text on the other. And it's been a veritable nightmare. Always something with it. :) The threads are very very loose, but that's probably common in these lights. Finally just decided to hold off and see how the pill fits the one I have. Go from there.

Well, funny, because I haven't really ever came across a bad HD2010 and I have 5 now on hand, and worked on maybe 5-6 others. I think they went cheaper on the center plastic alignment pieces, and they some don't fit properly anymore so can't get the LED well centered - think the older ones were better. I ordered and rcv'ed 3 different size centering rings from an AliExpress source and sure enough, nothing match's well to anything, so annoying why they didn't standardize on the reflector opening sizes. The AliExpress store said they would make any size I spec'ed, regardless of qty.

Right now I got a no-name gray, UF gray, 2 TangsFire black, and 1 no-name black. Looks like the new one, black TangsFire, has the East-092 driver that always start in hi mode, even after a short 3-5 sec time. The no-name black has an East092 driver, but seems to start in next mode, but maybe simply takes one to several minutes to time-out (drain the cap). Overall, the new one isn't bad but some smudges, dirty lens, couple of marks, etc.

Got several lights in from WallBuys today - ugh, the budget lights seem to be goin cheaper and cheaper made now... I got 2 of the EDI-T P14's, tore one down - crap for the most part. Driver is a 20 mm with a brass ring press fit over the driver - PIA to get out. Has a XR-E on a 20mm - no thermal grease at all, though the pill top is solid but thin. Looks like the tailcap is all press fit together - no way to get at the switch or button cover, so if the switch goes, the light is a throw away. Neat thing though is it has a ramping mode by double clicking when it's on high.

Also got in those AA zoomies (mini CREE-XPE) on special for $2 each - pretty junkie but didn't tear it down yet.

Got a T13 and T08 ar reduced prices, but definitely seem poorly made, but guess these lights were always so-so.

Very interesting stuff there Tom, I guess my big issues have been grounding problems. Once I modded it I never really had a way to get a good ground. Right now? I've got a solid 12ga Romex wire coiled around the pills column and overlapping the ground ring, soldered the driver to that coil of heavy copper wire. Works fine! :) Yeah it's rigged, but works is works on a personal light that I know I'm gonna be swapping out that driver on. lol

I also have a SupFire F9 coming, it's larger than a C8 but a little smaller than the HD2010 in total diameter. Deep reflector though, looks like a good mod build. If luck were smiling my way, the copper pill for the HD2010 would screw right in, but what are the odds right? Also looking for a MAXtoch SN6X-2X, that one should be easy to bump for throw, according to those that have had it's little brother it's pretty good right out of the box.

Lots of good stuff going on, in spite of the shipping fiasco. Hopefully my pill will get here tomorrow, it left Los Angeles 5 days ago so it should be here by now. Really can't wait, all the descriptions are saying it's pretty nice, looking forward to it.

These HD2010 pills are awesome.

Fasttech’s service, not so much.

I want my HD2010!

Chris

Chris, did anyone ever answer your battery question? The Powerizer LiNiMnCo 26650 is the best I've found, delivers the highest amperage consistently. US based, under $10 a cell but the shipping is a bit on the high side.

Indeed… they insist on at least a small flat rate box (adds $6.30) when our international battery shipments get here safe and sound in a layer or two of bubble wrap and some tape! :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps the layer or two of bubble wrap and some tape is why batteries are having such a difficult time getting out of China/Hong Kong.

Technically, the USPS won't ship em if not installed in a device, so count us lucky that a flat rate box will get em here. ;)

Received mine today. Unfortunately, the C8 pill does not fit my UniqueFire C108 (threads are a finer pitch on the C108), so I will be ordering the Convoy C8. Can someone link me to a site that sells a smooth reflector version?