Sold out: $20 HD2010 & $15 Convoy C8 copper pills

The convoy C8 is a one off design, it is the only pill of its kind, which is why i havent bought any in this buy.

The problem with those powerizers is, I am in NZ!

Chris

Tom, thanks for reporting the issues. I did a quick build with my Convoy C8 and the copper pill and was able to make a snug fit with the Nanjg driver. It wasn’t loose, but was a snug fit. I’m not sure what the tolerances between the boards are…

Hopefully the regular edition of the HD2010 pill can take an extra of chips, it would be disappointing if it could not.

Hopefully there won’t be further problems trying to put the chips in. Next time, I’ll definitely make sure to have extra room as a default. :slight_smile:

Seems like a Dremel is a very handy tool for these things, haha.

Copperfox, sorry about the pill not fitting the C108.
Weird, I ordered this one: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1277302
and got it with a SMO reflector.

got mine here http://www.fasttech.com/products/1617/10001275/1220100-aluminum-smooth-reflector-for-cree-xm-l-xr-e-xr-

These are pretty awesome, I’m considering one of the c8 pills (maybe an hd2010 too) but was wondering if the rest of the remaining pills can have the issues fixed? I don’t think I have the tools to properly remove material at the driver shelf for njang/qlite drivers or in the driver compartment to stack more chips. If I can’t stack then there is less of a reason to get a copper one.

Unfortunately the rest of the pills that I have are from the same batch, so will be identical to the ones shipped. However, I could drill them some more if you want, but probably won’t look as good. :slight_smile:

Tracking indicates mine went out for delivery at 9:46AM yesterday. They weren't delivered though, maybe tomorrow.

I can force fit a Nanjg in there but I noticed the marks on the corners of the 7135's and these things can be pretty frail, as others have pointed out. The bigger problem for me is the depth for stacking 7135's, because if anyone knows me, I don't like no stink'n 3.0A Smile. For C8's, typically I would do 3.85A, for regular use guys (non-flashoholics) I built 3.5A, and more lately, have gone to 4.2A for high end throw and output instead of 3.85A. The Convoy C8 is a nice quality host for doing over-driving with too, but of course with your copper pill, it puts it at a whole new level. Biggest annoyance though is the OP reflector, because I have to order a good SMO with every host.

The 2 Convoy C8 hosts I got in were with OP - surprised to hear you got the SMO with yours because it's not an option, not listed. I usually buy this one: good SMO reflector. That shape seems to test better for throw than this one: not as good SMO reflector from my experiences. For XP-G2 builds, I use one specifically designed for the XP-G2/XP-E2 size - don't think FT sells them, maybe CNQ/FFL or KD, not sure.

Dale - for the ground problem on the HD2010, hhmm, I've used some pricey conductive grease - thermal and electrical on HD2010 pill threads. For you, you could definitely use some DeoxIT Gold maybe on those threads, or combine thermal with DeoxIT. Of course the copper pill may solve those problems too.

If I have to, I'll put some Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive in the threads when I dial in focus, let it lock in and be a more permanent solution. I'm hoping the copper pill threads in a bit tighter, we'll see. I try to make sure the battery tube threads in against the pill, this ensures ground to the pill, and also pushes the pill into it's own threads. If I do that, by seating the battery tube into the head first, then threading the pill against the tube, the reflector might not be in the optimum position. I will look at it from that perspective, if the head needs a shave on the rim to allow the reflector to reach the emitter properly, so be it. :)

I put some hot melt glue on top of AMC7135 chips to simulate chip stacking. (I didn’t have any spare chips.)

They seem to be at least as thick as one layer of stacked chips.

After they turned completely solid I could fit them in the Convoy C8 pill without too much trouble.

I think they’re reasonably flush against the rim of the pill, but I didn’t force them all the way in.

That's weird - I used a caliper. Are you sure the driver is sitting on the ledge flush? I'll re-measure and test with mounted 7135's this evening.

Can’t wait for the results, the ability to stack would be very nice for the copper pill.

I'd just stack on the spring side, be done with it. 4 extra chips is about all I'd want on this size of light anyway. That should net some 4.2A or so at the tail. With an inverted spring, I've never had any issues on the height. Usually, I stack 4 extra on each side when there's room inside, but I might take that considerably further on the HD2010 pill. :)

I've also shaved the corners off some chips when they were interfering with a copper pill/sink I made.

Mine escaped from the little postal truck today! I tried fitting one in a C8, great smooth fit. A q-lite driver won't quite fit in, maybe run a file around the edge. Maybe solder a wire ring on the rim, then stacking shouldn't be a problem.

I had time to have a close look at the HD2010 pill last night.

The driver hole was a little tight, so I just ran an end-mill bit around the ID by hand, & also slightly chamfered the driver shelf to avoid any chip-interference.

The machining marks where the star sits definitely need attention - I need to figure out the best way to sand it flat, or maybe just shave the whole top down so it can be easily lapped.

Here are some pics of 2 7135's sitting in the Convoy C8 copper pill:

Here's comparison shots on the scale with the VOB pills. First, VOB's HD2010:

Here's Ryan's HD2010:

Here's VOB's UF-T20/C8:

Here's Ryan's Convoy C8:

From the scale shots above, you can clearly see Ryan's are more chunky. The Convoy C8 pill weighs more than the UF-T20/C8 pill, even though the UF-T20/C8 pill is for a larger stock pill replacement. I like the way the critical thickness under the pill top is very chunky on Ryan's, where on the other ones, the inside is tapered inward, taking away copper from a critical area.

For the above shots of the 7135's in the Convoy C8 pill, I simply placed a two height pile. This pretty much match's the measurements I took. Again, this is not that big of a problem for me. The drilling out of material is not that difficult because on the inside of the pill, no need to be super precise or get it perfectly flat. I'm going to do it this way because this copper beauty deserves a 4.2A driver, and I've had some bad experiences by stacking chips on the spring side (battery facing) of the driver.

Ryan - I'm sorry - don't mean to derail this sale, but we all kind of need to know these details. Again If I had known about this clearance before, I'd still buy them because I believe there is significant benefit to these heat sinks, and anyone should expect a little amount of tweaking work, specially with any budget light. Also you need to know as well. Since I have 3 of the Convoy C8 pills and they all seem to be the same, I'd expect the whole batch to be this way. This may not be an issue for many if they are not stacking 7135's and want to keep them internally (micro side of the driver). Sanding down the edge of the drivers to fit is very common - I basically have to do that probably 80% of the time, again, not an issue - standard procedure.

Hey Tom, those chips have some fat legs on em. Maybe the chips you're using are thicker than AMC's? Are they thicker than .0625"?

At any rate, only half the pill shelf needs to be addressed, no need to take down the entire pill when the board only has chips on less than half of it...

Thanks for the pics Tom!
I apologize for the lack of accuracy and measurements. It does seem like you can stack a layer of AMC’s and still have the driver snugly in place? (Although not flush)

I haven’t stacked chips before, I either went with the stock 2.8A or direct drive, so I should have given chip stacking more thought.

Seems like the drivers that I’ve used were one of the smaller ones. I used two Nanjg drivers and an East-092 driver for testing measurements. Thanks for your feedback, and it all helps me learn. :slight_smile:

Fat legs? No, it's the hips . Those are straight from the FT 100 350 mA pack. As far as I can tell, they are all the same as on the board, as the 380's, etc.

Ryan - k, sounds good!

I've bent many of those over, and mine never looked like that. O-L uses his thumb nail to bend em down. I don't think those would be so easy. I get 380 binned, can't see how it would matter. But mine aren't coded like that either.

Dunno, as far as I can tell this is the 3rd batch of 100 I'm on and pretty sure they all looked like this - the #'s are the date code I believe, so that varies from batch to batch. I use a bent needlenose and do all 3 at a time. Only time I broke them off was when I was doing a batch of about 25 or so, and I rushed it - realized you have to go slow with the bend, then works every time. Not sure if the pics are representing the size well - I'm no expert with the camera for sure...