SOLD OUT: Aspherical lens adapter for HD2010 ! ))))))))

I forgot this one was the international warehouse, probably won't get here for another week or two.

Bummer. I guess I got lucky mine was from the intl warehouse too, but got processed through CA sort facility today at 5am. I should have it by humpday.

I may have to get one of these lens adapters, I have no non-zoomie asphericals lights. :slight_smile:

I went ahead and built my HD2010 even though my copper pill isn’t here yet, just to try the aspheric with this ring. My aspheric is a few years old, it’s a 50mm from DX but it doesn’t work with this set-up. The focal length is too long. :frowning: It would have to be beyond where the bezel will thread, to get a nice focus on the emitter…and this is with my pill inset about 3/16” deeper into the head. :frowning:

Guess I’ll have to get another aspheric, something I do not look forward to as DX orders in the past have taken forever.

My adapters arrived yesterday, thanks.

Of course, DX says the lenses are out of stock.

Same and same.

My DX order for 2 of the linked 50 mm's and 1 of the other 50 mm says shipped - ordered the 15th, shipped the 17th. No adapter rings yet.

Those lenses should be back in stock very soon. I have been ordering that lens from DX for years. They probly just dont keep a ton of them around, and this thread may have created a small "run" on them.

I see they just added them to the US Warehouse Nov.21st., but at a higher price, $4.92. I tried to order a couple but when I try to checkout all I get is a 'System error'. Going back to the cart to try again just keeps creating duplicate orders. Also, their certificate apparently doesn't include that server.

There are a lot of aspheric lens on Aliexpress. I just purchased this 54mm a couple weeks ago for my T13. Hasn't arrived yet.

I ordered 3 of the lenses in the OP on the day of the OP. DX hasn’t even shipped them yet!
Also, I am sitting here waiting for fans from TMart for 50 days, 43 days since they were shipped from China. The last 2 HD2010’s that I ordered from TMart USA arrived in 2 days after being shipped. Even so, it took an additional 5 days after I ordered for those to ship.
Yesterday, once again, I received my order from NewEgg the very next dayafter ordering. I am sooooo sick and tired if this slow to ship AND slow boats from China.

BTW, I KNEW this was going to happen with DX. It’s the reason I have not yet ordered the adapter rings from VofB.

Wow - sounds a lot worse than me recent experiences of orders and receiving orders. For me, things are moving along, like 2-4 weeks shipping times - it's been better more recently too. Dunno bout DX lens yet though - it says shipped, I don't trust them which is why I havent' ordered anything from them a like a year.

Purchased, along a few lenses from DX and the US warehouse.

Maybe this will finally get me to machine a copper pill and try my hand at soldering an emitter directly to the pill (a la Match).

Got my lens in today from DX! Yes - needs some tape tweeking. At first (no tape) I got 155 kcd, but adding one layer of gorilla tape, I got 189 kcd. This is still less than what I got with the reflector though - I was getting 233 kcd - de-domed XM-L2 U2 1A, 5A or so. Still preliminary though - not sure of the charge on the cell, and maybe needs more focusing. I still see a halo of yellowish light arounf the emitter image, then there's a further out flood area, and also a ring of light eminating out by like 90 degrees, meaning on the floor and ceiling... Hhhmm, more play'n.

Edit: Got 202 kcd with 2 layers of Gorilla tape - 3 layers it went out of focus the other way, so seems like 2 layers is the best, but the gorilla tape is thick, so could probably get better control with regular electrician's tape.

Edit #2: Got 205 kcd when went back to 2 layers this morning - think this might be it. It's a pretty tight emitter image at 6-18 feet or so. I'm not really sure how much tweaking I can do - takes a lot of time, and I don't think I could get it much better.

Was that with the 8-120 lens or the 2-80?

Your numbers are pretty similar to what someone got earlier with XP-E; think there would be any benefit from using a de-domed XP-G2 instead of XM-L2?

I'm using the 8-120, the one vob recommended/linked. I tried the other one but it was wayyyy off. Yes - I'm thinking a XP-G2 may be the best because I can get pretty high amps to it. I got a few HD2010's, so should build up another pill with a XP-G2, de-domed, and try it with that setup.

Hmmmmmm.

I built an stl-v2 a few weeks ago with a nice big aspheric from somewhere, and I found the same thing.

Dedomed xml2 was 160kcd with the reflector and AR lens, and dedomed xpg2 was 166kcd with the aspheric perfectly focused.

Basically chucked the thing out after all the stuffing round to make it fit and focus.

The xml2 was only at 3.5 amps where the xpg2 was 5.2 amps, then the bloody thing burned out after about 2 minutes!

Both the driver (sst-50 from KD) and the led blew, so god knows where to start again. I have a 9amp driver that works great but wont fit because its 1mm bigger than the contact board.

I think the way to make aspherics work is to use ultra high quality glass. I have little doubt thats the difference between 200kcd and 400kcd, and maybe another 200kcd on top of that with a waiver collar.

Chris

Ohhh, sort of bad news Chris... It's still nice to have a dedicated longer thrower with no spill as Matt described above, just not the "wow" thrower I was expecting... Only thing comparable is a de-domed XP-E2 A60 (can do 200+ kcd but with some spill). I got a UniqueFire T20 at 135 kcd with a de-domed XP-G2, but that's me best aspheric before this one.

Funny, because there's been a few aspheric projects talked about here but mostly I never see the final results - I'm figuring same thing - it didn't work out as planned. Though there has been success's - seem to recall...

Agreed.

I want an aspheric because the spill of high power lights are for me now negating the ability to see the actual target I’m wanting to see, due to the atmospheric conditions, mainly humidity.

Case in point, the hill behind my friends house is about 750 metres away, and it can be clearly seen with a 200kcd sn6x-2s, but with my 450+kcd shocker you have to squint to see through the spill and appears to be only marginally larger hotspot, but your retinas have adjusted.

When you think about how much light you loose from a cheap AR coated lens vs a stock hardened glass lens, imagine the impurities in a lens 10-20 times thicker, and how much of an effect those would have.

I dont know a hell of a lot about aspherics but maybe we need to be looking at those ahorton type lenses or a high quality supplier?

I read somewhere last week of a guy making 600ish kcd throwers but was throwing away 1 in 3 lenses. Cant for the life of me remember where now. Was a euro?

Chris

What were all the mods did you make to get up to ~200kcd?

I figure I can at least add the aspheric lens and hopefully soak off the XM-L dome, but I’m not sure what else I can do without more tools and experience. If I understand correctly, those two mods should probably get me to ~140kcd or so?

Got my adapters a while ago, and just got my lenses from DX (US warehouse). Side note, I didn't realize these lenses are almost perfect for D Maglite with H22A heatsink. My HD2010 currently has an XM-L, so I need to swap out with an XP-G2. But everything works quite well, thanks for offering these!