Sub-Lumen EDC

I’m looking for a sub-lumen EDC that runs on 14500 (preferably), 16340, or 18650. It would also need to have a nice deep carry pocket clip. I know there’s many lights out there, I’ve been through a lot of them and the only one that I’ve found that gives the lowest low, I really don’t like (Sunwayman V11r). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sidenote, I know this is post number 1000 so it’ll be time for a giveaway pretty soon.

I don’t know the exact number but my Olight S2 has a really low moonlight…plus it’s a compact 18650, and has a nice deep carry clip.
The S1 is nice also but the moonlight level is higher than the S2
The Nitecore HC30 also has a nice low, but it might be like 5 lumens I think…

You didn’t list a budget but when I think of sub-lumen lights Zebralight always comes to mind. They’re great little edc lights, too. You can take your pick among them based on power source and most of them come in a choice of tints.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about getting an SC63 but I can’t find one from the sellers I usually buy from…Andrew&Amanda and Illumn. I had a SC62 and liked it. I definitely don’t want to order directly from Zebra.

I’ve got an S1 but I’d rather have something a little longer. I don’t like the pocket clip on the S1 so I use a lanyard and keep it in my watch pocket. I also prefer clips that are screwed onto the tailcap. I’ve got a couple of S2+s but I get tired of carrying them. The moonlight just doesn’t seem low enough on them.

Illumn definitely has them sometimes. I’ve bought a few Zebras from him. Maybe reach out to calvin and see when he may be getting some back in? I’ve also ordered directly from Zebra before and never had an issue, but I know others are reluctant to do so.

I bought an SC63w. I also have an SC62w. Personally, I like my ’62w better, but that’s mostly a tint issue. Some of the XHP35s are pretty green in the spill, and mine definitely is. If you get a good tinted one I’m sure it would be great.

^ I’ll second this. I can’t fault any of my ZLs especially for their low moonlight modes. That’s also the feature that keeps some of my older ZLs in rotation (i.e.H60 , H30, etc)

Talk to ToyKeeper? She loves low lows and probably could point you in the right direction. Have you thought about modding a light? I know we have BLF drivers that can give a very low moon/firefly mode. Here’s one that Richard at Mountain Electronics designed and builds and sells.

The Astrolux counterpart of the Kronos X5 alu
14500, nice moon

I’ll also +1 for the Zebralights. Great moonlight modes, and you can program them from 3 different moonlight levels. My favorite brand. The SC52w-L2, though it’s a model a couple of years old, is probably the best EDC they have, due to the small size. Runs off AA or 14500.

I used to order my ZL’s from Illum, but they don’t seem to stock the newer models anymore. So, I’ve ordered directly from ZL, and had no problems. Comes in about 3 weeks, tracking, and delivery confirmation all included in the free shipping.

My Olight s15 has a low moonlight mode. They replaced those models with a newer one, the ST25, but I’m not sure how low the moonlight is. My guess is it would be about the same, though.

I have to second this suggestion. The ML mode on this is just wonderful!

Hey mate check out the Jetbeam jet MK its super cheap right now and does 1.5 lumen in low mode but i am not sure if that is with a NiMH or a 14500 in my test the output seem different with both batteries or maybe i am just going mad.

BLF X6/X5 Driver vs. Astrolux S1 A17DD-L FET+1 Driver — differences between TK’s A6 vs. Bistro firmware

But if you want a 15mm driver, look at the driver choices for http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_116&product_id=342
(Note it offers guppydrv for that driver, but that particular page doesn’t have the list of features — search ‘guppydrv’ for the description, which is on most of the driver pages where it’s an option. The long list of what guppydrv offers got left off that particular driver page, I guess

Also, for 17mm driver size, I second DavidEF’s recommendation of RMM’s Moonlight Special 17mm Driver (he linked it above).

Remember — if you add more 7135 chips on the board, the higher all the levels are.

We’re working on that in the S series. The new driver firmware is in testing. The next generation of S2+ should have a moon at about 1 lumen in 7135*8. Fewer 7135 chips should be sub-lumen. Actually, I’m curious about your comment about moonlight not being low enough on the S2+ as it doesn’t have moonlight. Are you using a different driver in a custom build or were you just referring to the stock low which BTW I agree, is not low enough. It will be soon though! :+1:

I just got one a few days ago. I like it but I’m not the biggest fan of twistys.

I love the low’s on my Zebralight. My Olight S1’s moonlight seems so “bright” compared to my Zebralights.

I ordered an in stock Zebralight directly from them a few weeks ago and got it in 2-3 days. Seemed it was shipped from Texas. The only nitpicky thing is they put the shipping label on the box covering their model lable so I have to write the model number on the box.

congrats to 1k posts! ;)

Really? I didn’t realize they shipped from Texas. I always assumed it was from China. I think I’m gonna get a SC63.

I measured my 4X SRK running Narsil at 0.1 lumens, with a PWM value of 2 on a single 7135 350 mA. So, sub 1 lumens is easily do-able in a FET+1, but many are built using a 380 mA which can't get as low. My SkilHunt H15 modified with a FET+1/Narsil also does sub 1 lumens in a nice NW tint with a TIR optic the H15 comes with - outstanding range of output on a 14500.

In Narsil you can actually configure what PWM value you want moon mode to be, from 1-7.