Sub-Lumen EDC

The Astrolux counterpart of the Kronos X5 alu
14500, nice moon

I’ll also +1 for the Zebralights. Great moonlight modes, and you can program them from 3 different moonlight levels. My favorite brand. The SC52w-L2, though it’s a model a couple of years old, is probably the best EDC they have, due to the small size. Runs off AA or 14500.

I used to order my ZL’s from Illum, but they don’t seem to stock the newer models anymore. So, I’ve ordered directly from ZL, and had no problems. Comes in about 3 weeks, tracking, and delivery confirmation all included in the free shipping.

My Olight s15 has a low moonlight mode. They replaced those models with a newer one, the ST25, but I’m not sure how low the moonlight is. My guess is it would be about the same, though.

I have to second this suggestion. The ML mode on this is just wonderful!

Hey mate check out the Jetbeam jet MK its super cheap right now and does 1.5 lumen in low mode but i am not sure if that is with a NiMH or a 14500 in my test the output seem different with both batteries or maybe i am just going mad.

BLF X6/X5 Driver vs. Astrolux S1 A17DD-L FET+1 Driver — differences between TK’s A6 vs. Bistro firmware

But if you want a 15mm driver, look at the driver choices for http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_116&product_id=342
(Note it offers guppydrv for that driver, but that particular page doesn’t have the list of features — search ‘guppydrv’ for the description, which is on most of the driver pages where it’s an option. The long list of what guppydrv offers got left off that particular driver page, I guess

Also, for 17mm driver size, I second DavidEF’s recommendation of RMM’s Moonlight Special 17mm Driver (he linked it above).

Remember — if you add more 7135 chips on the board, the higher all the levels are.

We’re working on that in the S series. The new driver firmware is in testing. The next generation of S2+ should have a moon at about 1 lumen in 7135*8. Fewer 7135 chips should be sub-lumen. Actually, I’m curious about your comment about moonlight not being low enough on the S2+ as it doesn’t have moonlight. Are you using a different driver in a custom build or were you just referring to the stock low which BTW I agree, is not low enough. It will be soon though! :+1:

I just got one a few days ago. I like it but I’m not the biggest fan of twistys.

I love the low’s on my Zebralight. My Olight S1’s moonlight seems so “bright” compared to my Zebralights.

I ordered an in stock Zebralight directly from them a few weeks ago and got it in 2-3 days. Seemed it was shipped from Texas. The only nitpicky thing is they put the shipping label on the box covering their model lable so I have to write the model number on the box.

congrats to 1k posts! ;)

Really? I didn’t realize they shipped from Texas. I always assumed it was from China. I think I’m gonna get a SC63.

I measured my 4X SRK running Narsil at 0.1 lumens, with a PWM value of 2 on a single 7135 350 mA. So, sub 1 lumens is easily do-able in a FET+1, but many are built using a 380 mA which can't get as low. My SkilHunt H15 modified with a FET+1/Narsil also does sub 1 lumens in a nice NW tint with a TIR optic the H15 comes with - outstanding range of output on a 14500.

In Narsil you can actually configure what PWM value you want moon mode to be, from 1-7.

Can confirm just got an SC62W about a month ago…. Came from Texas. Was backordered when I ordered, but didn’t seem to take that long……and it was on sale for $69.

You probably don’t need me telling you this, but keep in mind the slightly more limited battery choices you’ll have on the SC-63 (compared to the SC62). It’s a shorter battery tube, no springs, so ONLY unprotected cells and, shorter ones (lower mAh) at that, will fit. Hence, I went for the SC62W for the added flexibility. Again, just FYI (in case you didn’t already know).

check out ThruNite T10 (2016 aluminum, not the ti version), very low mood, excellent built quality, compatible both NiMH &14500.
moon light comparison, from top to bottom- Olight s1, T10, Astrolux S3, SC63, Olight S2 (FWIW, pocket clip on S2 more easy to use , it is not as tight as S1)

Actually I’d rather have the 4mm shorter light. I’ve gotten to where I like to carry my flashlights in the watch pocket of my jeans and carry my phone in my right front pocket. I’ve been swapping back and forth between an Olight S1, a Jetbeam Jet 1 MK, and a Nitecore EC11. I had a SC62 about a year ago and sold it to buy a different light. I know it was just a tad too long to fit in my watch pocket so this one should fit lengthwise even though it’s 1mm wider at the head. I’ve been using Samsung 30Qs quite a bit lately any way so the shorter run time won’t bother me much.

IIRC, last time I ordered from Zebralight, they ship from Texas if you’re in the US. Otherwise, they ship from China. I’m not sure if that’s changed in the past few months, but I haven’t heard otherwise.

Nothing wrong with ordering direct…I got my last order in 2 days (but I’m in Texas).

My SC600 Mk III HI has a perfect tint…I think the dedomed XHP35s don’t share the same tint problem. You’ll be playing the tint lottery with the domed versions I’m afraid (from what I’ve read).

If that’s too big still you could try a SC52 variant with a 14500. Even the moonlight on the XHP35 HI is really low (I use it on 0.01 lm mode)…I can see the crosshair effect from the quad emitter in the middle of the night without blinding myself…I’ve been using this mode every night since I got her.

Either zebra changed their lowest low or that zebra’s almost certainly not on its lowest low. I would swear my SC62W gets way lower than that. (But I’ve been wrong before……many….many times.

PS. Nice pic though! :+1:

Different ZL models have different moonlight outputs. For example, the lowest moonlight on my SC5w is about the same brightness as the second-lowest moonlight on my SC52 and SC52w. Which is nice, actually, because I find the lowest moonlight on the SC52’s to be useless except as a locator. It has to be somewhere around 0.001 lumens, based on my best guess.

Many ZLs get down to 0.01 lm. It’s great! :smiley:

The one one I can think of off the top of my head that doesn’t get that low is the SC5w.