Surefire UDR Dominator® 2400 Lumens for $1,370

Surefire UDR Dominator® 2400 Lumens for $1,370 :money_mouth_face:

“Hmmmm, Let me see! 1 Surefire UDR Dominator® or 26 Convoy L6 :smiley:

That’s just pathetic…
“advanced LED technology” my foot.

What led are they using?

Luminus CBT-90

“Hmmmm, Let me see! Let’s make a post about every Surefire product and rant about the lumens/price ratio! :smiley:

whenver I see that light it reminds of a toilet plunger.

You got me laughing so hard! :smiley: I think it exactly what it look like.

so why do they put a 100$ LED in there
just to have a different look?
be the only one build this unusual package in a flashlight

its a factory dedomed SST-90
old outdated technology

Pretty sure the XHP35 didn’t exist when this light was made.
CBT90 was better than any cree options.

Group buy anyone? Maybe we can get the price below $800. :money_mouth_face:

I’m in for two, but I have to sell my car first. :smiley:

:frowning: You must have a good car. Mines not worth a tenth the price of one light. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not going to get into the brand or price or lumen debate…however, twelve 123A!!!

It’s all labour cost as they would have you believe lol.

And you have to use SF brand 123A’s, lol!

Some people have too much money (and don’t know what to do with it), that are the only potential buyers of such extremely expesive flashlights.

There are such things as status symbols; Rolex watches, Purdey shotguns and so on. Some people with a huge amount of money can’t resist the urge to show it off.

Myself, I’m not tempted and I’ll wait until Convoy produce a limited edition of the C8 machined from solid platinum.

Seriously, I can’t imagine who’d buy this. Presumably it sells in small quantities and Surefire like having a flagship item in their range.

Hmm, let’s see if I can defend every Surefire light that someone may post about… :smiley:

This light is obviously not for walking the dog. It seems like nobody here has ever actually used it and compared it to similar sized lights.
If you search in the German TLF forum and also on CPF you will find reviews, beamshots etc.

Pros:

- ist has a rather large hotspot, making it more practical compared to lights like the Thrunite TN-32 etc.

- light is actually balanced and not top-heavy compared to many other lights of this size (when holding the handle)

- it can work with (CR123) batteries when it needs to (many 3-6x 18650 lights don’t work with batteries)

- robust LED (very low heat resistance)

• LED without dome (XHP-35 HI might be a better choice these days though…)

Cons:

- very strong, early stepdown (see here)

- rechargebable battery (2x really outdated Panasonic NCR18650A with 2900mAh) is way too small the a light of this caliber!

- doesn’t work with standard 18650s

- LED not very efficient

• obviously rather expensive

The price could be more justified than we might think here. There are many aspects of a light which can impact reliability which we can’t easily tell just by playing around with such a light.
Things to think about:

- how robust is it mechanically

- hot much vibration can it tolerate on a long term basis

- is it effected by EMI-Noise

- does it produce EMI-Noise

- how well does it work in very cold or very hot environments (=> military desert operations)

- how thought out is the U.I. for its specific use cases

• will it withstand to recoil of larger weapons
    etc.

Here and here one can compare a beamshots of the light to many others (both in German).

I’m not defending it at all though :wink: are you?