Tail standing lights on rough ground (Convoy S2+)

I have three Convoy S2+ on the way (in CW, NW, and WW tints) which will be used for light painting photography. Some of the plans are to have the lights tail standing, with diffusers to illuminate parts of a scene. However, as the ground will be rough and uneven, I’ll need a bit of support to keep the S2+ tail standing (or at least fairly standing position).

A few ideas I’ve had are to use either a piece of PVC pipe as a holder, or maybe cut holes through a cut up egg carton as a support?

Any other ideas wold be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe using the larger of these type clamps? Clamp around the base of the light as a stand or even clamp around the middle if you wanted to prop it up at an angle for more directionality. Seems (in my mind) it might work.
WorkPro Clamps

Not speaking from experience necessarily….just thoughts.

Will appearance matter? If not then a I think resting a few paper cups (like for coffee) weighed down with 1/3~1/4 full of water & just tailstanding the lights (1 each) in those cups should fit the bill.

theres these green foam type things made rearranging flowers in a vase or pot.
i seen these a hobby craft stores and even the dollar store.
they come in big rectangle blocks. basically cut to the size you need that will be the base for your s2.
then just stick your s2 in the foam block. i expect heat to build up now since 1-2 inches from the bottom will be completely covered.

Thanks for the ideas so far, much appreciated.
The clamp idea may work if the clamp in heavy enough - will test with a clamp I have.
Water cup is not really practical for my purposes but good idea.
Flower arranging foam - I’ll look into that one. (Regarding heat, I’ll be running the S2+ 8*7135 on 30-50% for up to 30 mins).

Just use some books or something. Set the book on the ground, set the light on the book. Or in a coffee cup. A glass. Tape it to a stick and put the stick into the ground. Set a couple of rocks around it.

Thanks. I’ll be setting the lights up in fairly random outdoor locations (mainly in forests or abandoned buildings). Thus the equipment needs to easily transportable and lightweight.

Also thinking low budget, cheap carwash sponge, $1 each at dollar store.

Can easily cut a hole through it with a serrated steak knife.
Can put 2 lights per sponge, or cut it in half and separate the lights.

Similar concept to flower arranging foam but cheaper and maybe easier to find.

^ I like that one. Thanks!

Use the magnetic tail option from Convoy and cut some 10cm square steel sheets.
You now have a nice large base to stick your S2+ :slight_smile:

Yeah +1 on this

And check this review on cheap but good clamps

Or use some canned food, cans are often magneto-ferrous, you have a nice heavy stand which won’t tilt and as a bonus you can have a lunch during your photo shoot

Yeah may I suggest rollmops, nice to have every so often :wink:

You can make kind of these for any flashlight from pieces of plywood, cloth, fill with PS or any granules (sand, sawdust, etc.)

Thanks for more ideas, much appreciated (I though I’d be lucky getting any replies). Lots if ideas people on this forum.

• I’m not keen on the magnet idea, prefer to keep magnets away from my camera gear (though I’m probably being over-sensitive). However, it is a good idea.
  • Rollmops - a bit too fishy an idea. Is IPX-8 rollmop proof?
  • Sandbag level table thing - interesting, but a bit too big.

I think I’m heading down the route of foam/sponge with hole in middle, or short PVC pipe.

Cheap Kids clay or floral foam ?!?
K.

I opened this thread and got this warning from Avast:

Magnets and electronic aren’t really a problem anymore… or maybe if you still use 3.5” floppy disks to save your pics

Same thing here with Avast………said “Threat has been detected” and blocked whatever it was.