Tail standing lights on rough ground (Convoy S2+)

Thanks. I’ll be setting the lights up in fairly random outdoor locations (mainly in forests or abandoned buildings). Thus the equipment needs to easily transportable and lightweight.

Also thinking low budget, cheap carwash sponge, $1 each at dollar store.

Can easily cut a hole through it with a serrated steak knife.
Can put 2 lights per sponge, or cut it in half and separate the lights.

Similar concept to flower arranging foam but cheaper and maybe easier to find.

^ I like that one. Thanks!

Use the magnetic tail option from Convoy and cut some 10cm square steel sheets.
You now have a nice large base to stick your S2+ :slight_smile:

Yeah +1 on this

And check this review on cheap but good clamps

Or use some canned food, cans are often magneto-ferrous, you have a nice heavy stand which won’t tilt and as a bonus you can have a lunch during your photo shoot

Yeah may I suggest rollmops, nice to have every so often :wink:

You can make kind of these for any flashlight from pieces of plywood, cloth, fill with PS or any granules (sand, sawdust, etc.)

Thanks for more ideas, much appreciated (I though I’d be lucky getting any replies). Lots if ideas people on this forum.

• I’m not keen on the magnet idea, prefer to keep magnets away from my camera gear (though I’m probably being over-sensitive). However, it is a good idea.
  • Rollmops - a bit too fishy an idea. Is IPX-8 rollmop proof?
  • Sandbag level table thing - interesting, but a bit too big.

I think I’m heading down the route of foam/sponge with hole in middle, or short PVC pipe.

Cheap Kids clay or floral foam ?!?
K.

I opened this thread and got this warning from Avast:

Magnets and electronic aren’t really a problem anymore… or maybe if you still use 3.5” floppy disks to save your pics

Same thing here with Avast………said “Threat has been detected” and blocked whatever it was.

not quite sure the sponge will work. maybe too spongy and soft and may collapse. i would try and find the tallest/thickest sponge so the more you can stick in the s2.

or maybe you can use a styrofoam cup, put the sponge inside the cup, turn the cup over, place it on the ground, and just take your s2 and poke a hole through the top of cup.
now the s2 will have a perfectly sized hole, so no wiggle room, and it will be basically sitting on top of the sponge. and that cup is acting as your base.

A good idea. Just an upside down styrofoam cup may work.

Rubber bands and a pointy stick .

What the heck is a rollmop?

Plastic 3 inch clamps are a no brainer and they are able to offer light at an angle as well .
I have used them….my vote …clamp it !

handy for other stuff as well

Yup. And if the s2 slides through the hole, then just wrap some rubber bands around the body ,slide the rubber bands head first. So now the top part of body if bigger than the lower part that’s inside the hole in the cup.

But I do like Boaz idea. I may use that one day. I like that u can angle it.