Talk me out of the L2 XP-L HI

I see no difference between 3 30qs, 3 Efest 35as, or 3 protected Panasonics.

Weird, do you have a lux meter/camera with manual mode to compare? 160kcd v 200 v 240 would be tough to compare by eye unless you have the aforementioned or 2 sr52-UT side by side.

hmmm that L2 sounds disappointing :(. makes me lean towards the maxtoch …. am
I just paranoid about running 2 cells or is it ok when matched and protected?

The L2 is a nice light and for me it’s much larger than everything else I have, it’s crying out to have something more powerful fitted. Either up the amps or fit a 6v emitter, it would be a shame to not put the 2 cells in series to good use, I’m installing the XHP70 in mine today.

I don’t think it’s important to have protected cells.

I did the same test on my SR52 ages back and I got the same ceiling lux bounce results on 3 x 2600 Sanyo protected ICR’s as I did on 3 x Samsung 25R’s.

If I recall I think I managed to measure 4.x amps tail cap.

I don’t really know anything about the SR52 UT version, but it looks like it’s the same torch with just a different LED.

No, I sure don’t…I used the naked eye, lol…and my wife’s. I guess I’m going to have to invest in a lux meter. I sure don’t want to be “short changing” myself on lumens/kcd.

I’ve yet to mod any light so assuming we say stock, and I were to stretch to a Thorfire S70 - do we reckon the Thorfire will be throwier, or the L2?

L2 for sure. The S70 will put quite a bit more light out there, just at a shorter distance.

Again I don’t have the L2 but I think it will fall between these 2 lights in throw, here is the S70 and the M24 with 4+ amp driver and XP-L HI at the same distance (175 yards)
They are both very close to the same price with only around $8.00 difference.
These shots were taken on the same night within minutes of each other.

S70

M24

that maxtoch m24 is sick. is that the 4A version
RMM sells or did you use a different driver?

It is the same light Richard has, as he got 20 of them from the GB I had, just with the regular lettering on the tube instead of the BLF logo.

This sounds interesting, I assume it’s not so much a thrower as the OP is seeking but I sure would like to know a little more info on this:

1. Max output lumens?
2. What MT-G2 emitter did you use?
3. (FET+1 Zener modified) Can this driver be purchased from RMM or did you have to build/mod it?
4. What cells are you using?

Or is there another thread/post with info on this? (I looked but couldn’t find)

I built the driver for my MT-G2 L2, used Wights A17DD-S08 board with the Zener modification. I used the Q0 MT-G2 on a MaxToch 26mm copper mcpcb.
On a new pair of Efest 26650’s with 4200mAh capacity, it pulls 10.45A at the tail. Low is 58 lumens (I forgot to engage moon on star 2, oops!) and Turbo is 4084.8 lumens.

I filed the aperture of the reflector square to fit around the substrate of the MT-G2 so the reflector sits on the mcpcb. Works beautifully!

Awesome, thanks,

Do you know if/where a driver the same or similar as the one you built can be purchased already built?
Maybe this one, w/zener mod?: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_117&product_id=274

For the L2 host on MTN it shows: “Simply add a 20mm MCPCB” But you used a 26mm?

Is there another thread where your MT-G2 L2 build is discussed? (as not to hiJack this one)

Well done! You cut the reflector before? I looks like a second reflector.

Pretty sure I used a couple of 20mm copper discs under the 26mm MaxToch (or 25mm?) I sanded the masked surface off of a couple of mcpcb’s and re-flowed em all together into a single stack to raise the fat emitter so I could have the reflector sit on the suface of the mcpcb.

Yes, Richard can even add the Zener mod for you if you ask.

Thanks. Why was there extra space that needed filled between the reflector and mcpcb? Did cutting the larger opening in the reflector shorten it?

Not per se, no. I needed wider pads so the reflector could sit down around the substrate. So I raised the larger mcpcb by filling the emitter shelf.

Cutting out the aperture effectively lowered the reflector, yes, as it no longer has that apex and no longer sits on top of a centering ring nor does it ride above the substrate, so it’s a mix of variables that worked. The bezel screws down all the way, beam is really much nicer than I had a right to expect. I have ~ a dozen MT-G2 lights, this one has one of the tightest beam profiles of them all. I did the same thing with my Jax X6 Hunter and it sucks. Big dark center with squigglies, didn’t get the reflector seated as far down and it doesn’t look like it will go any further due to how it’s made. It’s larger reflector does actually make a slightly smaller hot spot, but not as good quality. I either need to re-address the Jax or change emitters, and it’s going to be an emitter change to the opposite spectrum. :wink:

Sometimes, when filing an aperture wider, the mirror finish plating can chip off (this is usually an indicator the base material wasn’t prepped properly) In this case, there was no chipping or peeling and it worked very well. In those cases where the plating does get uglified, I merely polish the reflector. Again though, this wasn’t one of those that worked me that hard. :wink:

I also have an L2 with HI emitter in single cell configuration. It’s crazy tight, an excellent thrower. Love em both, truly well made and the design appeals to me very favorably. Simon’s centering ring really improved the beam profile in the L2 with HI, glad I purchased a bag of those centering rings! :slight_smile:

Thanks, so if I understand correctly you’re saying for the MT-G2 I should get one on a wider mcpcb (25mm instead of 20mm) so there will be more room for the modified reflector to sit on the mcpcb around the emitter?

And the wider board will fit because I will be “shimming” it higher with 20mm copper spacers underneath (sanded bare boards) placed on the led shelf.

I also found this post in the L2 Thread leading me to believe the L2 reflector already has a gap in stock form?

And thanks for all the other details on the L2.

Hi Dale! I just found your post with this MT-G2 L2!! Nice flashlight! I am looking for something like this for my bike… What kind of driver would you recommend with this Led for 12V motorcycle auxiliary spot light?
I saw some 12V rated (?) single cree on aliexpress, is it possible to directly drive them from the battery?