Tesla Model 3 - are you buying?

I’ll submit the sound of a furious Koala to their engineers as a new low speed safety sound for full effect.

I would buy one if they were on sale in the UK for ~£24K, and I’d install some solar cells so that I can charge it while it is parked at home overnight, ready for work the next day.

At present a Tesla is viable if and only if the batteries last for ~140,000 miles or more . I drive about 18,000 miles per year, so in eight years that is about 144,000 miles, costing about £40 per week, or £2,000 per year making £16,000 in eight years. It is said to cost about £3 per 100 miles to charge an electric car. So fuel costs are about £540 per year. Tesla warranties one model to 125,000 miles so if the new car was comparable it is just about viable. The problem is that petrol is expensive because of tax. If electric car become mainstream, the government will tax them, and they will become expensive. Also servicing should be cheap, no oil to change, no clutch to replace, no spark plugs to change, no cam belt to change, possibly no brake disks to replace if they use regenerative braking. So that could be extra money saved.

That said, the Tesla seems to have sports car performance, and loads of room, so if you can run one for not much more than a city car such as the VW UP over 8 years, that is seriously good value. In other words, this really could be a bargain. But in the UK it will be £35,000, making it not good value for most of us.

That’s some serious moonlight you’ve got in the UK, or a good bank of batteries to store the sun’s power, you’re probably better of seling the electricity from your solar panels to the electricity provider and charging your car from the grid, not sure how this works in your country.

There might have been an element of humour in my post. :slight_smile:

The rent can be very expensive.
It depends on how much kilometers/year you will drive the car.
If you only drive 2.500km in 3 years, it will cost 49 Euro/month.
For me it would be 142 Euro per month, that is the rental cost for 30.000km in three years (i do about 10.000km/year with my car).

But that is more than 2x the cost that i spend on petrol per month with my Dacia…
And the electricity is not for free in Belgium, so an electric car will be much more expensive than a petrol or diesel car.
In the advertising you will only see the cost per km for electricity, but they never mention the batery cost (exept for Renault with the rental batteries).
But if the conditions are not perfect, than the range of an electric car will be much less than what is advertised.
In the winter there is electrical heating that uses a lot of the energy from the battery, if it is too hot in the summer it will be the airconditioning that drains the battery much faster.
And if you don’t drive very carefull, the advertised range will be shorter without heating or cooling.

If the real battery cost per km is so high for the Renault Zoe, than it will be even more expensive for Tesla cars with larger battery packs.

“Haters gonna Hate”

Yep that’s me and proud of it. If hating means hearing my TURBO spool up and peg the BOOST gage. Then yah, I’m a hater.

If I can fill up, drive 800 miles into the middle of nowhere dump in 5 more jerry cans and drive 400
more miles, then I LOVE being a hater.

If I can hitch up my 27ft travel trailer and haul my whole family over the mountains and pass every Prius on the way then yah, call me a hater.

If you think you can make fun of me and say “He’s just making up for his short junk”. Well, you’re too late. My memory is now the shortest part of my anatomy. WHOO HOO! Cha Ching! Milestone BABY! Oh I LOVE being a hater.

You can have your Tesla but when I go for a drive… You’ll never get within 100 miles of me.

I LOVE my life.

Yes, you’d have to calculate when a battery needs changing and factor the cost to replace it, or the eventual hit you take when selling a used car with a used battery, clearly the rent is more a peace of mind thing than an obvious financial benefit unless one knows exactly how the battery ages and can do projections.

Electricity cost obviously plays a part in the comparison with an ICE engine car, i remember that a simulation for my particular situation all things considered showed an equal cost between a Zoe and a similarly sized 1.5 Liter diesel car at a 5 years horizon.

There are a lot of range extenders for electric cars :slight_smile: :
https://www.google.be/search?q=mobile+generator&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1vOX8vPDLAhXB6g4KHbC6AdEQsAQIIQ&biw=1920&bih=1003

That cracked me up. For you youngins, that means “LOL”.

It makes a Tesla a genuine Perpetual Motion Machine!
Still needs a second trailer to haul all your junk though.

:smiley:

I expected something like that:

I’ll buy one when it looks like this.

This thread turned into a trump voter fan fest.

This is my electric vehicle . 16 M.P.H. for 40 minutes . It's fun .

I don’t have 35k to spend on a car now, and I’m pretty sure I won’t next year either, so I guess I’m out. It is a car I would consider though. That is a very reasonable price by today’s standards. A little more range would be nice, because things are spread out in Northern California. A hundred mile one way trip would require charging to get home, and I don’t know how practical that is. Cool car though.

If I had the slightest idea WTH a furious Koala sounds like, I would certainly add it. For all I know it’s a very quiet version of a kitten purring from getting scratched behind the ears. Must be activated at the push of a button though. A “low speed safety sound” that’s always active would be horrid! 8-| Think of the children!

This looks like fun but I would probably just hurt myself.
Does it really have a 40 mile range or is that like eBay lumin claims?

40 minutes. If it really went 40 miles I’d had to have one.

Absolutely not. The interior of the Model S was complete and utter feces, and that’s a $100,000 car. I can’t even imagine how bad this one will be. Body panel gaps were massive on the Model S, and the paint had a hideous orange peel texture, you could get better paint quality with a rattle can. Not to mention reliability, or lack thereof. The Model S is currently the LEAST reliable car on the market. “[SOURCE]”:Tesla Model 3 Loses CR Recommendation | Reliability - Consumer Reports

The only reason Tesla is still in business is because of the billions in tax payer dollars that are being given to them. They’ve never innovated, they make a rubbish product, and their prices are absurd. The only thing they have going for them is their marketing department, which is the best in the business. Amazing how they can get people to by utter rubbish at those prices.

I wonder what people would think seeing a full grown man (though not fully grown up) riding to work on that. I bet I’d get some serious giggles.

I thought I read 40 miles and got all excited. 40 minutes… Not so much.
Still looks like fun though.