The 11th Annual Old Lumens challenge - Winners announced!

Hiya, I decided to join this great event in this very limited time. Hope I’d finished it before due, thanks!

3 Thanks

Might have a chance in my build. I’ve scrounged a Reylight AA-size driver. We’ll see. Busy this evening though, no guarantees I will even have time to work on this.

1 Thank

I would like to join the Old lumens contest in the modified flashlight category:

I’m sorry, seems I can’t continue my entry with the remaining time. I broke the cutting and the chamfer chisels, and I didn’t have a spare for those at the moment. I will continue the project after getting the replacement and do the update in the post.
Goodluck everyone, and happy new year!

Regrettably I won’t be finishing on time. I’ll update my thread with the latest progress in case anyone is interested. It was fun and I look forward to trying again next year. I’m excited to take a closer look at all the entries!

1 Thank

My build is complete with an hour to spare!

3 Thanks

I finished my modified flashlight:

2 Thanks

Congrats to everyone that participated!

3 Thanks

The building period for the 11th Annual Old Lumens challenge has ended.

Thanks to all who entered this year’s contest.

Happy new year!

5 Thanks

A very exciting and suspenseful moment waiting for the final results. Good luck everyone and also happy new years

Would the membership be interested in a new category for DIY Exterior Treatments?

For those who don’t enter the OLC due to a lack of mechanical skills or resources, but possess a more artful, creative side, this type of category would allow those members an opportunity to share their talents.

Anodizing (homemade setups)
Painting (cerakote, durakote, etc.)
Hydrographics
Baking
Wraps (various cordage)
Other

Thoughts, suggestions & additional ideas requested!

3 Thanks

An official thread regarding the 12th Old_Lumens challenge will be created to discuss these possibilities. :+1:

4 Thanks

Thank you!

That sounds like a great idea, and a way to show your artistic, creative or decorating skills in a BLF way!

1 Thank

The mod category already allows all of these to be entered.

1 Thank

I think the Mod category would benefit from being sub-divided into specific categories. Doing so would also make it easier to attract more sponsors!

I would also be willing to help with either or both.

1 Thank

Is this meant to be a category where only cosmetic finish changes would be allowed? No other changes at all, otherwise this sort of thing is already allowed in the modified category as Hoop mentioned. For most, if not all, of these cosmetic changes, would not some mechanical skills be required to tear the light down and reassemble, to permit anodizing, baking, etc.?

1 Thank

@MtnDon

Let’s continue to use this existing thread to discuss the rules of the challenge:

Another question regarding this contest: How long should the evaluation of the individual builds and the nomination of the winner take? Should there be a community survey and if so, will this be included in the final evaluation? @The_OL_Contest

2 Thanks