The Blues Brothers +1 - Maglite Style

That blue is a lovely colour.

As always, great work - you are quite prolific in your workrate, everytime I visit, you've started or finished another light! Bravo!

@OL: Thanks for the info, I'll try the larger one for my projects then.

Beautiful pics.. I love that wide ring on the biggie.

I think the bezel on the big Mag looks just fine .

And I'm glad you tried to do the fancy filework .

It would undoubtedly be easier in a straight line .

Look at the first post down near the bottom for more updates.

What compound do u use to polish the mags with ?

MAAS or Hagerty's. Hagerty's is more abrasive, so I use it first and MAAS for final finish. Neither one is really all that abrasive, so I often use rouge with them. I have a package with the different grades and it has served me for several years now. Rouge is not meant to be used like I do. It is for buffers. It "melts" from the buffer friction/heat. I just shave tiny bits off on a piece of paper and use the hagerty on a rag with a little of the rouge. Most often I only use the Blue all purpose, since I work with very soft metals.

I posted this in the Wrong Thread! I can't believe I posted this in the other thread about the Brynite. I am slipping fast!

Well, I got a couple emitters on small stars, from Illumination Supply, for the AAA ans AA lights. I had one driver, so I set up the AAA light. It worked. ed is the key, meaning did work for a short time.

I tried it out with 2 alkalines. It worked as planned and I changed them for 2 NiMH Eneloops. Worked fine. Got warm in seconds, very warm in a minute (not hot, but quite warm). Heat sinking seemed good, as the heat was transferring into the head and into the body, from the head. Then it just died completely. I drove the pill back out and used two alkalines direct (after disconnecting the driver) and the led works fine. Driver is dead. I am not surprised. That driver looked ugly, masses of solder all over it and I figured it wouldn't last.

Now it will be put back together as I intended, Direct Drive with two alkalines. I will tell you that this thing is bright with 2 alkalines direct. Bright enough for this tiny AAA light. It won't run long (I'm betting), before it gets dim, but the heat that it's putting out will make it a very short run light anyhow.

Should have done it DD in the first place. No more drivers for me after this mess is done with. I promised a driver in the 1D, but the AAA & AA are DD. There's always the option of NiNz PowerGenix if the new owner wants. That would give 3.2v with 2 of them. The alkys gave 2.95v and the led was bright. I am estimating about 300 lumens from them. It's only my estimation, not factual, just what I "see".

Also, two Energizer Ulitmate Lithiums will give you around 3.6V.

Info in post #25

XM-L T5 3C 5000k, with two AAA Alkaline batts, DD.

See the photos in Post #34.

After doing both of these lights DD with 2 Alkalines, I am impressed at the run time. I was expecting just a few minutes, but I turned both lights on and let them lay on the table for over 30 minutes. I didn't think they would last that long using Direct Drive.

I noticed that after 10 minutes I could (visually) tell that the AAA light dropped just a little output. The AA light did not appear to do that. After 30 minutes, I feel the AAA light was down to about 50% output and the AA was down to about 70% output.

Neither light got warm. I noticed a few degrees warmer on the AA light, but only just a few. I noticed no difference in the AAA light as far as heat.

I learned a little here. I thought 2 AA/AAA would not run these lights, well, that's false. I ran them with NiMH and Alkalines. I would say that the NiMH ran them, but at a low level compared to the Alkalines. The Alkalines ran them fine and the Alkalines lasted far longer than I thought. Over 30 minutes continuous on the AA and about 20 minutes on the AAA, before I might feel that it was time to change batteries. Actually I would have run the AA light longer, I just wanted to finish up and get to bed. With intermittent use, I would expect even better longevity.

All that's left is the 1D and I'm just waiting on parts.

Yes, this seems a better option then the NiZn/Primaries. Could you give just a guess on Lumen"s OTF for the three lights on NiMh? What is the voltage range of the three lights? Thank you. Btw, how much for the dummy cells?

Keith

What caused you to not go with this setup? Although I do like the 14500/10440 format with dummy.

Keith

Imo he wasnt really happy with it and fried it.

Nice job Justin!

Some serious workmanship has gone into those. You continue to raise the bar for "no lathe required" host modding.

I especially like the unique "leaf" markings on the heads.

The tailcap switch mod on you 1D mag is superb! Where did you score that copper spring?

It’s not copper. It’s a gold plated spring. I have been buying the gold plated from CNQG and I do like them. They are so much easier to solder.

Thanks!

The driver fried in seconds, after loading NiMH batteries in it.

Also, I would not do a single 14500/10440 with a dummy, due to direct drive. Maybe it would be Ok, but I won't say it is. Someone else, with knowledge of Li-ion batteries, might use it.

As far as lumens? Since I do not have a way to measure, there's no real way to know. Brighter than the original lights for sure, anything else is just a total guess.

Already sold? Darn, so now are we pre-ordering them? If only I'd known...

[quote=Old-Lumens]

Thanks oldlumens! Ready when you are. YES!

Keith Also. The bezel"S on the AA/AAA are going to match the stubby?

[quote=Old-Lumens]

[quote=budynabuick]

What do you think guys? Would LI-ion work (with a dummy) with the DD? I"m thinking not? I would like to be able to use recharge batts in these little lights but am unable to find the status of the NiZn and if they are any good? Yeah, I am the one that bought the set.

Keith