The Bort thread šŸ”¦

The user card background actually works as an animated gif, on my end anyways.

Something like that :smiley:

1 Thank

Okay, I guess Iā€™m wrong about animated gifs.
You just canā€™t have an animated gif for your avatar.
For both your User Card Background and your Profile Header, youā€™ll need your animated gif to be a certain aspect ratio as explained in the thread I linked to earlier.
Also, itā€™s difficult to find a User Card Background that works well for both light and dark themes, so I keep my User Card Background blank.

1 Thank

Iā€™ll play with the aspect ratio another time when i figure out how, if @TARTARA wants to have a go at it that would be great.
Is my current user card background animated on yoru end?

1 Thank

Yes, but the aspect ratio is wrong, so itā€™s tough to see the animation.
When I say change the aspect ratio, Iā€™m talking about adding blank space to either the left or right side, or both sides until you have the correct aspect ratio.
(I have no idea how to do that with an animated gif.)

1 Thank

Some resizing and cropping might work but i donā€™t have the software for it.

1 Thank

If you crop the image, you lose image data, which is why it could be better to add blank space to get the right ratio.
I know how to do it with static images, but not with animated gifs. :wink:

I do a lot of image cropping with photos i take, windows can handle it with the picture viewer.

FWIW, hereā€™s how it looks when I click your name. Itā€™s a little hard to read.

I might be able to apply a darkening filter somehow, on the dark theme, and a lightening filter on the light theme, but last time I tried, it was tricky. The image background and darkening filter (translucent black background) occupy the same style slot, so it generally picks one or the other, not both.

I could also just override the background so images wouldnā€™t be used at all, but that takes away peopleā€™s ability to customize their card. Would rather not do that.

However, it is generally just really difficult to make images work well as the background for both light and dark text.

Maybe I could add a text outline and drop shadow to all text in the user card. Then it would at least be readable regardless of whatā€™s behind it. Itā€™ll probably require a whole bunch of css rules for that though.

Anyway, Iā€™ll see if I can come up with ā€¦ something.

2 Thanks

From what i understand the problem is above SBā€™s head. Sometimes we just have to accept things we cannot fix.

1 Thank

That would be sweet!
Then I could put any old pic up. :yum:

On my end its opaque, but i am using the default BLF theme

3 Thanks

Reddit? I have no idea why or how that would be related.

About animated gif avatars though, itā€™s just ā€¦ a topic that youā€™re passionate about. Youā€™ve put a lot of work into animations, and this platform doesnā€™t allow them, so you want to change it.

Since you posted earlier in this thread, I assume you have it in ā€œtrackingā€ state and see new postsā€¦ and I havenā€™t seen you skip an opportunity to say something on the topic of animated avatars when it comes up. I figured youā€™d have something to say about it, especially right after producing an animated avatar just a few posts ago. Hence the ā€œcue rant in 3, 2, 1ā€¦ā€.

Thanks for not missing the cue. It would have looked pretty silly if I :clapper:'d a cue and then nothing happened. :sweat_smile:

4 Thanks

Man i know what im talking about ā€¦ !
In one other forum i was in a official team, with a dedicated Moderator in the team and to make things like theseā€¦ ! So i know it from first hand and in and out ā€¦ ! Even if this system can not support them, they should have fix it so farā€¦ Is that simple !

Even android screws this up, i use a pic i took for my background on my phone/tablet and it gives me light on light text for the title bar.
There is a splash of dark in the photo thus it thinks the whole top is dark.

Discourse has an official forum that seems to be for developers, make an account and get them to add it. SB did not write the forum software, he simply licenses it.

2 Thanks

sb was looking at a number of forum softwares, and he asked me to choose one of them.
I asked him, ā€œWhich one does NOT support animated gif avatars?ā€
He said, ā€œDiscourse.ā€
I said, ā€œWe have a winner!ā€ :stuck_out_tongue:
(Itā€™s not a bug; itā€™s a feature!) :grin:

5 Thanks

I would like it as well. Its not doable. Thats the end of it. Pushing anyone here will not change that.
I offered you an option if you want to make it possible but its not here, its at the developer. Thats where your efforts might yield results.
Here your efforts will just aggravate us because we are the wrong people to ask.

Ask the right people if you really want that answer.

4 Thanks

@sb56637
A new bug, i clicked on RCā€™s post to see who upvoted it but undid my upvote so quickly clicked on the number, that worked but then i could not reupvote it, got this error:

A reload brought back my upvote but now this happens:

1 Thank

Iā€™ll give you a clue who didnā€™t upvote my post:
TARTARA

I hope I didnā€™t offend him too much.
I just saw the opportunity to tell a stupid joke. :+1:

1 Thank