The Bort thread šŸ”¦

On the plus side it provided my new status :wink:

1 Thank

By the way, I think itā€™s impossible to block an avatar on BLF with uBlock Origin.
The image will disappear, but if you refresh the page, the image will be right back, so itā€™s only temporary.
If I could block annoying avatars on BLF, I would be in favor of animated gifs for an avatar.
I could then just see the ones that I like, and block the ones that I donā€™t like. :raccoon:

1 Thank

Itā€™s possible with Stylus. Hereā€™s the CSS to remove avatars from a list of users:

a[href$="/Alice"] .avatar,
a[href$="/Bob"] .avatar,
a[href$="/Carol"] .avatar,
a[href$="/Dave"] .avatar,
foo { display: none; }

If the user has caps in their name, you may have to do both upper- and lower-case versions to block all instances, since the site seems to use both at different times.

2 Thanks

Why did you post a screenshot of your post from a couple hours ago? Without any text around the image, the meaning of the post isnā€™t clear.

1 Thank

Amazing!
Now I am in favor of animated gifs for avatars.
I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible, but itā€™d be fine with me if it happens. :heart_eyes:

https://i.imgur.com/zSF5JdC.jpeg
Yep, TARTARA is a nonstop thanking machine!
Thanks for all of the thanks!
(I guess youā€™re not too upset with my joke.) :grin:

2 Thanks

Right? Heā€™s a very thankful fellow!

He has given about as many :+1:s as the next 3 top users combined. Nobody else is even close.

2 Thanks

Thatā€™s probably my fault.
I told him that at the end of the fiscal year, you would go out on a date with whoever thanked you the most. :open_mouth:
But that doesnā€™t explain why he has thanked me so many times! :scream:
(I keep on telling him that Iā€™m not really Milla Jovovich.) :raccoon: :city_sunset:

Im flashlight years aheadā€¦
Im an entire category by my ownā€¦ !

You arenā€™t just kidding thereā€¦ That is for certainā€¦ :smiling_imp:

I think I answered my own question. All I had to do was scroll up to find out that the original post is gone (ish) due to getting flagged. So I guess the screenshot was a way to bypass being flaggedā€¦ which, unsurprisingly, got flagged too.

First time Iā€™ve encountered that function of Discourse. I didnā€™t even know that was a thing.

Edit: Removed details about hidden posts.

2 Thanks

There is actually an official plugin for Discourse to enable animated avatars, but 1) I try to avoid adding plugins as much as possible because of potential maintenance / upgrade issues down the road, and 2) the majority of users seem to find animated avatars to be annoying, and 3) for some users there could be important accessibility issues like what ToyKeeper has mentioned in other threads. So they wonā€™t be enabled.

8 Thanks

@Bort The Kwik-E-Mart is a gift shop at Universal Studios Orlando in Simpsons Land. It was located next to the Simpsons 3D Ride. Iā€™m pretty sure they are closing that whole area down though. I was able to buy my boss an Itchy and Scratchy plush dolls, complete with knife.

2 Thanks

Great, now itā€™s known there is a way for animated Avatars to work. We are never going to here the end of it now.

ā€œItā€™s like Iā€™m playing cards with my damn brothers kids.ā€

2 Thanks

Iā€™m just glad I didnā€™t get in trouble (yet) for equating thanking someone on BLF with wanting to date them.
I admit the joke is kinda sexist and maybe a bit offensive, but to tell the truth, when I post stupid jokes like that its mostly to entertain myself.
Iā€™m guessing no one really liked that joke because it didnā€™t get thanked by anyone.
Oh, well, they all canā€™t be funny for everyone. :upside_down_face:

1 Thank

I didnā€™t find it offensive, though it wasnā€™t directed at me. You never know who is going to get offended now days. And we gave everyone an anonymous flag button.

2 Thanks

Yeah, I should be more careful with ToyKeeper.
Thereā€™s not that many women on BLF, and TK is just about the only BLF member brave enough to admit that sheā€™s female.
Iā€™m thinking she probably receives inappropriate private messages just because she is female.
(Thatā€™s a common problem on the internet.)
I donā€™t want to offend her, but I do admit that my joke at her expense could be offensive to some. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Thank

What sb said should mean the end. As a onetime admin of a webpage and a forum I can vouch for not wanting to use plugins. They can and do come to bite your butt later, causing things to break. At times very time consuming to fix.

6 Thanks

Jokes that make light of the systemic harms that have been brought upon women for generations are something to be eliminated. Neither you or i were around back then but we can and should learn from those past mistakes and not make light of them or repeat them.
Sometimes we donā€™t have malicious intent but we can still make mistakes.

The harassment women endure continues to this day, this is something we all bear responsibility for facing and defeating.
Not being part of the problem is good, being part of the solution is better.
We should work towards the day that women do not face harassment or sexism or pay gaps and all the rest of it.

We can and should do better :slight_smile:

4 Thanks