The glow and dark bling thread

I guess nobody here has any experience with that product… :frowning:

Appears to be a Cyalume product. How does the glow compare to other glow stuff? Is it worth the high asking price? I want to put some strips of it on key lights/stuff.

Thanks! I ordered a small strip to try out. Have just ordered a bunch of other glowy stuff, I’ll try to do some comparisons and report back as I couldn’t find many side-by-side comparisons here.

Edit: I know there’s a very good CRX post where the LIT and Kilabitzzz stuff was compared, might order some LIT and do another comparison with some other mediums/resins/glues.

Wow! You never fail to impress. Any details on the build?

Yes, andruil lightning - Skullzs

:beer:

I might be wrong but i don’t think andruil can light the aux lights with advanced flashy modes.

Yeh okay. I’m not savvy with code so I don’t know how that works either.

Update for anyone interested. I went on a bit of a GITD buying spree. For what it’s worth, I have fairly good night-vision and enjoy super-dim moonlight flashlight modes.

I’m most impressed with the (very chunky) CountyComm UGM Tough Patch Universal Glow Marker- Once charged up, it seems to have the longest sustained glow of anything else I own.

Kilabitzzz and LIT green powder appear fairly similar, both in brightness and glowtime. I’ve not yet had a chance to experiment with different mediums etc.

CountyComm Boker EDC Slipjoint knife with Ultra Day Glow scales - similar to above, I’m pleased with the glow on this. Clipped inside a jeans pocket, I’m always surprised when I move from a light to dim area, to see that it’s charged from daylight or interior lights- That said, only the top 1/10th of one side of the knife is charged in this way.

Cyflect, as I was told ( :beer: ) doesn’t have the brightest or the longest glow, it is the only one which is also reflective though. I think if I required a similar effect in the future, glow in the dark pigment mixed with eg. silicone sealant then dots blobbed onto regular 3M reflective tape at a suitable interval would be crude but effective…

The Tec Accessories Embrite glow fob also has a disapointing glow. Initial brightness (to my eye) is similar or slightly dimmer than the pigments or the CountyComm glow gear, however, the glow fades much faster compared to the other gear. I’ll probably buy the tritium installation kit and put a tritium tube into this at some point in the future.

I’ll try and add some photos in the future, taking decent pictures of this stuff is hard!

Hey PP. cool light !!! :sunglasses: :+1:

Wow wow :heart_eyes:

Filled the lanyard hole on my new knife with GITD powder/epoxy mix.

Well done! Looks great

I’ve some orange from a company called Killerbitzz, which, from all the ‘brightness’ comparison charts, should be less bright than green but more than purple…

I’m not disappointed with it because I knew it would be ‘dimmer’ but the glow effect really is weak compared to green, and fades much quicker.

I doubt purple would be visible after 20 or 30 seconds, especially adjacent to green.

The Colour of Magic...

“It was octarine, the colour of magic. It was alive and glowing and vibrant and it was the undisputed pigment of the imagination, because wherever it appeared it was a sign that mere matter was a servant of the powers of the magical mind. It was enchantment itself.
But Rincewind always thought it looked a sort of greenish-purple.”

― Terry Pratchett, The Color of Magic

Looks as bad if not worse than red glow. It does look cool having that green speckle though.

Green or Aqua seem to be the only two practical colours?

I’ve a Boker pocket knife in orange which seems to glow an order of magnitude more than GITD orange paint. It’s not a deep orange so perhaps that’s why? I’ll try to upload some photos at some point.

Yes, thickness of material plays a role, but also colour, example below:

Stuart Semple LIT glow powder at the top in the round tub.

From left to right, Kilabitzzz glow in the dark light switch vinyl stickers, CountyComm UGM Tough Patch, TEC Accessories Embrite glow fob, Boker mini folding knife in GITD orange, CountyComm folding Boker knife, DIY Polymorph with LIT powder mixed in, Kilabitzzz Orange Glow Paint.

The orange paint is far dimmer than the folding Boker knife; the paint is a lovely orange colour, it’s just not bright.

The TEC Accessories fob doesn’t have much glow longevity, I’ll be replacing it with an alternative at some point.

The CountyComm stuff is very bright and seems to charge up under fairly dim light.

I got my CountyComm stuff from EDCgear.co.uk, you are probably making material with similarly good glow properties, but worth looking if you’re after something specific (pocketknife etc). The orange mini Boker knife came from Moonraker knives if I remember correctly.