The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

I might have to wait for a GB! :smiley: :money_mouth_face:

$20 would be even better…for us consumers anyway.

Once Simon steps into the LEP market you can be sure to expect a budget super LEP.

Hence why I think they might hit the $80 mark or even sub $100 once LEPs hit mass market appeal. Neal/Vinh are probably producing those unbranded LEP’s in small batches. If you get a big enough batch I’m sure someone will sell them for $80-$100.

$10 would be even better

A full fledged LEP with a lot of throw for less than $50 or so will be detrimental to the entire market because they get cheap enough to become mainstream and for the not so bright people to begin ordering them off ebay

$5 lasers on eBay can blind you instantly but most LEPs can’t. I do think LEPs are powerful enough to cause momentary flash blindness to vehicle operators if they’re shone from a close enough distance. If the issue becomes widespread, governments will begin cracking down on the flashlight market like they have done with laser laws.

Nope, nothing is being removed.

Just tilted to the way i can take a picture of something unusual inside the lens.

Sigh… :frowning:

Guys i have received an mail from Weltool… as below;-

Hello
Because this LEP light source has a prism, the effect of the light spot cannot be compared with that of the LED.
This situation can only be seen at a close distance. The LEP product is used for long-distance throwing, and long-distance throwing does not affect it.
Almost every light source has this situation, but the degree is different. LEP light source is an emerging technology, so it can’t reach perfection yet
Hope you can understand
Sincerely
Weltool team

There are a lot of laser phosphor modules popping up now. DIY LEP has never been easier.

Pass through type

This one has a built in Wavien collar. It is amazing and I was planning to use it as a core to make my own LEP

Typical 10W laser module

There are 3 main types of phosphors:
-Silicone
-Ceramic
-Crystal

The current technology of economical phosphors are limited to using silicone based yellow phosphors. YAG:Ce crystal power (these absorb blue light to make yellow light) bound by silicone. They have a maximum operation temperature of around 150C because the silicone will fail. The crystals themselves can go up to around 250~300C.
In addition, the thermal transfer of ceramic and solid crystal is much higher than silicone.
If you get ceramic sintered, or solid YAG:Ce crystals, you can increase your maximum localized POWER by another 60% for ceramic, and 100%+ for solid crystal.
*Solid crystal is actually bad for intensity because it is transparent and there will be multiple internal reflections causing the illuminated spot size to increase 2~5x.
Another factor to increasing performance is mounting to a heatsink. Some companies use thermal glue and other use I believe some type of indium alloy solder.

You can see I made many burn marks on the silicone phosphor. Even at 1W optical output (normal “10W LEP” modules have around 3~4W 455nm optical output), I was able to burn the silicone if I focused the spot small enough.

Silicone phosphors are 5~20USD each. Ceramic and Crystal phosphors easily start at 100~200USD each; but you cant buy any until you sign some NDAs. :weary:

If you look on the laser diode side, There are basically 2 choices.
NUBM08 4W 25USD
NUBM47 7W 80USD

All LEP lights under 300USD use a single NUBM08. There is only so much you can do with 4W of optical output. Silicone phosphors have an efficiency of around 170~200lm/W
This is why you basically only ever see up to 600lm output. We have temporarily reach the maximum intensity of silicone phosphors. But not the lumen output. This is why the W50 has much more lumens, but not any higher intensity. It has higher intensity compare to W30 simply because it has a larger diameter optic.

Everything goes nuts when you switch to phosphor wheels, with diode arrays like the nubm31t.

Wow neat, thanks for sharing the links. I hadn’t come across any myself on alibaba so they’ll be interesting.

I’m not sure how useful a waiven collar will be for LEP modules. The phosphor can already be pushed to its heat limit by the laser diodes we have today. The blue light reflected back into the phosphor by the waiven collar would just heat up the phosphor further and probably not be as focused as the original laser.

My understanding is that LEDs benefit so much from waiven collars because it allows more of the blue light emitted by the base layer to be converted by the phosphor and LEDs primarily die at high temperature due to the base layer underneath getting too hot and cooking the phosphor.

On the other hand, LEP phosphor dies from the blue light shone at it being so strong it cooks the phosphor. LEPs don’t have the problem of having a heater right under the phosphor layer.

I think the collar would increase the total Lumen output and allow you to drive the laser diode with less energy but would create a wider beam which isn’t good when we’re shooting for optimal throw.

On a different topic, what are people’s thoughts on the pass through vs reflective types of LEP modules?

The pass through type seems to have one benefit: no light obstructed by the mirror.

The reflective ones seem to have a higher possible brightness due to better heat sinking since you can have a heat sink immediately underneath where the laser hits the phosphor.

There must be a reason the mirror can’t be off to the side has has to be directly above the phosphor rather than at an angle so it doesn’t obstruct the light emitted by the phosphor. (Maybe the angle of the emitted light gets askew)

I wasn’t so impressed by jetbeam’s latest LEPs which use the pass through modules since they had significantly lower lumens than the previously used reflective type modules.

Based on my testing with Wavien collars on mounted phosphors, I was extremely surprised at the results.

I only needed to reduce my output laser power by around 15% or less compared to without a collar.

I used a 60deg aperture collar. Which means it will capture 75% of the total light. With a 33% efficiency. 25% of that light will be added as intensity.
25% escaped light + 25% recycled light = Doubled intensity.
Another huge benefit is the CCT is warmer too!

I don’t know why but Wavien collars are magic.

Interesting! How do you know that module includes a Wavien collar? $135 for one piece (sample) is up there, and based on the voltage, looks like you'd need a boost or 2 cell buck driver, though ~2.8 amps and 4.4 volts should be easy to achieve - nothing crazy.

Surprising, yeah. If my math checks out, the total blue light hitting the same spot can be calculated using a geometric sequence of 0.85*0.25^n where n goes from 0 to infinity which brings the total to about 1.1333 times (13% higher) intensity of blue light as compared to just a laser being driven at 100% instead of 85%.

This is assuming the reflected light all hits the same spot and has the same efficiency as the laser which would be very difficult to properly align in practice. Factoring in the fact that the collar also reflects the light of the white spectrum means that your phosphor should be really getting toasted.

I suspect there might be some misalignment since the tolerances are crazy tight or something else at play. (My math could be incorrect)

The important question is: does the out the front candela increase with a collar when factoring in sustainable temperatures?

I took it apart to study it. In the picture of the disassembled module, it has a wedge cut out. The wedge is so that the laser can be reflected off of a mirror and hit the phosphor at about 40 degrees.

These modules can go as low as 35USD each if the order quantity can be above 1000.

I made some 3-axis linear stages to perfectly position the collar.

Here is the test data of the silicone static phosphor. The collar does its magic. The cd reading my not be accurate. My spectrometer was at a fixed location so the ratio should be very accurate.

Wow, fantastic work. It’s research like this that members of BLF do which astounds me.

I agree, the Astrolux WP2(Jetbeam manufactured) does produced lower lumens than advertised compared to previous model though the WP1 the smaller of the new LEP types performs fairly close to the manufacture claimed output at least in my measurements which seems a bit odd that the larger one under performs.

It sounds like you have both. Can their heads be disassembled to investigate if the difference in lumen output is due to the optics and not, for some odd reason, differently driven laser modules?

Edit: actually I suppose we can tell my looking at the current drain in different modes

Hey ChibiM, could you compile a bar graph of the all the amp measurements you’ve taken on high of the LEPs? It would be interesting to see which LEPs are consuming the most power to get an estimate of how hard they’re driving their laser modules.

For example it looks like these new Jetbeams are only getting ~2.7A while the older ones were taking 3+ Amps

I could do it by combing through the 1lumen website but it would be much easier if you had the data already available on excel.

Thanks a bunch!

Edit: Also since these are mostly boost drivers, you did measure the amps with a full battery right?

The modules look pretty much the same, but looking at the WP2 the emitted light doesn’t completely fill the optic looks to only get about 80% don’t know if that could be the reason since I defuse the beam to measure lumens. I would try and compare with other LEP’s but limited with options due to Canadian customs refusing pretty much anything with a class 3B so no weltools for me :person_facepalming:

So you can’t get lasers in Canada? That’s weird… I love my 6 watt blue and my 1.6 watt green