The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

The light only filling 80% (of the surface area?, or the diameter?) of the front lens would fully explain the low performance of the WP2. Astrolux did not do their optics design right then which would be weird, wasteful (head is larger than needed for its performance) and unforgivable :open_mouth: IMO.

I think I’m going to stick with my W30 and W10 gen 2 until the next huge leap in performance. Some of the LEPs throw a little farther than my W30 but I want something for $600 or less that’s at least 10x as powerful. Should be something like that in a year or two I bet

Does anyone have any idea when the LEP Class 3B (5mW) lights will become legal in Canada?.. I ask as I need one.HB

Class 3b lasers are >5mw. It is unlikely they will ever be legal to import, sell, or manufacture in Canada unless a specific exemption is made. I believe we will see further restrictions on LEPs rather than exemptions.

It looks to be about 80% to me here’s a picture of what it looks like.

Is it legal to buy one in the US and drive it across the border?

Just buy a LEP that doesn’t say “class 3b laser” on the side of it. Then it’s legal I guess

Wouldn’t that technically fall under illegal importation of restricted items which if caught would be confiscated and you might be charged as such, not saying that would happen but it could happen and I would say it isn’t worth the risk.

I dont know the legality of it, that’s why I’m asking. Is taking something you own across the border the same legally as bringing something into the country to sell? You would have to read the laws and figure it out. If it is legal there are probably blf members near the border that could order it and then resell it to you.

I understand national borders are different than US state borders but when I want something that is illegal to sell in my state I just drive to another state and buy it anyway. And it’s completely legal.

That sounds like importing a prohibited item. Don’t get caught doing it.

In the US legal to own and legal to sell are two completely different things.

It’s lawyers all the way down.

Yeah I wholeheartedly agree that it would be an extremely bad idea to bring something across a border that isn’t 100% legal even if it’s a pack of chewing gum. Prison doesn’t sound fun to me.

You might be able to get laser diodes and stuff on eBay. They usually sell them as a lab kit that must be assembled. (Which involves screwing the front part onto the back and putting batteries in.)

Goes without saying 1) safety glasses always 2) don’t point at people, animals, buildings or vehicles

To my eyes it’s at most 80%…and we should state clearly that it’s percentage of diameter, we’re talking at least 1/3 of area being unused.
Agree with djozz, it’s unforgivable.

If you are bringing a flashlight across the border nobody is going to stop you and ask you if it is a ‘legal flashlight’
It’s a flashlight, you can turn it on and it will make light, the people at the border and looking for knives, guns, etc.
I doubt anyone there even knows what an LEP is. Even if you’re trying to bring in illegal knives they will just confiscate it and let you through.

[quote=Souichirou]

It is more like 50 percent,
cause the last mmeters in diameter are the most important
you lose a lot of Lux.

That is not so nice—- to not say shice

Regards Xandre

[quote=Xandre]

A quick measurement with ruler and the pic of post#308 gets me that 59% of the surface of the lens is used, so if Astrolux designed it better (slightly longer head with a lens with slightly longer focal length), with the same diameter head throw could be 1.7 times what it is now.

That disappointing it could have been even better of a thrower, especially since its little brother the WP1 performs so well exceeding its manufacturer’s claim mine pulls an impressive 362kcd at 10 meters which is well over the 250kcd the manufacturer claims.

To be clear, an LEP light isn’t a laser just because it contains a laser. The laser beam itself does not leave the light’s aperture. It should be just as legal as any other flashlight. Otherwise, compact disc burners would also be illegal.

All this LEP talk made me decide to carry my W10 last night. Man what a fun light… I love the zero spill beam for walking around the neighborhood. I can literally shine it last someone and they can’t see it unless they look right at it

Amazing technology

This should make LEPs a class 1 laser device like CD players and dvd readers. I can’t find what specifically makes something count as a laser;