The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

I’m sure that Jetbeam uses a real LEP lightsource, the design is just different than some others.

Can someone explain in simple terms why a bigger lens would produce more luminescence remotely?

Think with me:
1)Say that at different distances from a light source you want to catch the same cone of light (the same amount of light) from a light source with a lens that projects an image of the light source at infinity.
Then a lens closer to the light needs to have a smaller diameter and must have a shorter focal length to project that image, while a lens further away must have a larger diameter and a longer focal length to project the image.

2)the longer the focal length of the lens, the smaller the projection of the light source at infinity (the general lens law), and the smaller the projection (=hotspot) the more concentrated the light, in other words the higher the luminance of the hotspot.

I think you can understand it from there: for a small hotspot you need a lens with long focal length, that lens being far away from the light source, it needs a large size to catch a decent cone of the light coming from the hotspot.

Ok, i think you are saying the angle matters, and bigger lens allow us to use smaller angle so we don’t incur much loss? Does that also mean, a thinner lens will be better than a thicker lens?

I ordered one on ebay on December 22nd. And it shipped a couple days later.

Anyone ever see inside the original M1x from last year. How was the lep setup in that one I wonder.

It had a LEP module like all the lights from the “last gen”. So it used a mirror above the phosphor.

You can see this here

I can understand why this mirror above the phosfor is not ideal, it blocks quite some light, and right in the middle where the imaging of the lens is sharpest. (sorry for the amount of dust already collected on my lens :person_facepalming: )

but that is just light which is directly emitted and not collimated by the lens, so it should not hurt throw at all. It’s blocked quite a distance above the “light source” (the phosphor which emits the light used for collimation). Only the phosphor should be at the focal point, but not the mirror.

You are confusing the workings of an aspheric lens with that of a reflector. In case of an aspheric lens, the forwardly directed light is precisely the light that is collimated and projected in the image (hotspot), part of that is blocked by the mirror and is wasted for the imaging of the hotspot.

You are right. I actually feel quite right trying to correct djozz :smiley:
I’ll just blame it on post-corona brain deficiencies.

So jetbeam could be onto something with the new LEP tech, if it would perform up to spec (or beyond)

In the end I’m a humble biologist and not a physicist, beyond the general lens laws that I was taught in secondary school (that goes a long way in explaining flashlight optics luckily) my knowledge of optics is limited so I will be wrong at times :slight_smile:

What about some new very strong LEP flashlights, which sources from Acebeam said they were ready to make?

The listing for the new rotary dial Jetbeam lep 2nd gen lists the emitter as WP-T2 laser led. Looks as if it is using a etching burning laser of the same part number and maybe recessing the whole meatball behind the scenes and inaccessible. Reflecting up through the little led.After seeing the numbers of your test I think I’ll pass. I really wanted an original
M1X “Mllltary”lep gen 1. Purchased Skylumen and Weltool W4. Looking for more pocket sized lep now. Noticed the Nextorch T10l has moved into the rotary switch design now too, and I think the same as the previous models emitter. But don’t quote me…

I just received my RRTM1x. It seems pretty bright in my lit livingroom during the day. So I’ll test it tonight. I don’t have a way to measure the lumens and throw. But I’ll compare it to my mf04 with an xpl hi 35

I’m still rocking my Acebeam W10 gen 2 and W30. How do these new ones compare? I’ve heard rumors of new acebeam LEPs

So my buddy bought me the coolest gift. A crystal ball… I shined my LEP’s through it and it focused the light down to a pin point and I could burn a piece of cardboard. So cool!

Just got Neal's LEP in. Just in time - Neal was going to send me a replacement Monday because the courier service marked it delivered Dec 30th. A neighbor was kind enough to drop it off - it was delivered to his house, miles away.

It does vary with the battery used, as I thought and as reported. I saw about a 5% bump if I remove the tailcap and use a heavy jumper, so spring bypasses will bump the output.

I get about 2.4 amps on a good battery like the VTC5D and GOLISI 26650, no driver spring bypass yet. Measured 900 kcd at 5 meters but it's difficult - really need to be 10+ meters away.

The switch is a little flaky - got to press hard or just in the right position. I'll see if I can make it work better.

The 3 click lockout works fine for me - ChibiM reported in his review it didn't lock out the press/hold to turn it ON - mine definitely works fine so might have been fixed already.

Although Neal's LEP appears to be the same one Vinh sells here, The UI is definitely different - vinh's has low/hi/turbo while this one is just turbo.

And do you think it is a fun flashlight?

Originally they were the same Vin had a revision after I believe his 4th-5th group buy batch on CPF.