The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

Wow, very interesting. I have the Astrolux Version of the new M1x on order, should be the same.

I expected it to be similar to my Weltool W4, but seems its not.

But generally from how current LEP’s work there is a metal substrate support behind the phosphor so all the light produced is directed forward, while if its backlit wouldn’t that be inefficient as it would bleed light towards the laser as well as forward? then safety would be somewhat of a concern since IF its backlit by a laser IF something happened to the thin phosphor layer wouldn’t the laser itself be focused by the convex lens making it WAY more dangerous ?

That sure is a different setup here compared to others, how are the specs compared to Jetbeam’s claims? I have one on pre-order should be the end of the month sometime.

I’ve thought about using synthetic diamond windows as a substrate for this with a “one way mirror” on the back side. I wondernif something like that is happening here.

Theoretically that could be the case, I just wonder why they list the item and emitter type as LED ? since an LED and a LEP are completely different in terms of how they operate.

ChibiM, what are your measurements on this thing? Lens diameter, focal length, lumens OTF, kcd, emitting surface area?

I’m very curious now. Apologies for being a PITA.

Chibm, you willing to disassemble further and be the first to unravel this new tech?

The measurements on the M1X are disappointing.

Lumens:

Manufacturer's specs @ 30 seconds @ start
15 17.39 17.39 lm
75 62.59 63.75 lm
480 267.17 280.50 lm

There measurements were taken with the Jetbeam cell that was included.
I also tested it with a Samsung 30T just in case, but got the same numbers.

Candela at 30 seconds, measured at 20 meters distance.

Candela Meters Yards
74,800 547 598.20
226,000 951 1039.80
880,000 cd 1876 2051.80

Pretty low numbers. It couldn't even reach 1Mcd.

In my inital testing (in the morning when there was a little bit of light) I tested it higher, around 920,000 with quick some quick testing.

I'm not happy with mine.

Oh,

The first, original M1X WP-RX was supposed to be 1.3Mcd, but mine overperformed and I got 2.3 Mcd.

I will probably do, since mine isn't performing not even close to specs...

ouch, that’s really disappointing. Maybe it’s just your unit. Although this would be bad luck for you it at least would not mean all are like this.

800kcd sounds more like LED than LEP :confused:

Based on your samples, CD/LM is down 41% from previous model.

Thanks for the test ChibiM,those numbers are truly underwhelming. Hopefully you got a dud and can exchange it for another,good luck.

pretty disappointing yes. I hope mine is a dud, but I already opened it up, so my warranty is probably void.

did you take the measurements before disassembly or after?

Before and after...

Ok. I absolutely was not trying to imply that you contributed to the problem, but who knows what sorcery that new LEP tech brings with it.

I can’t imagine jetbeam selling a new light which is considerably outperformed by the old version.

Must be a dud /hope

What I don’t get is the old M1x has the exact same specs on paper as the new one. So the question is did they even test the actual specs of the new version? Almost seem unlikely that they did.

Is Jetbeam using some type of round led diode with a lense calling it an LEP? I hope not because mine should be delivered this week and have had high hopes this would compete against the W4.

This week? did they start shipping already ? I was one of the first pre-orderers as well and mines still “Processing” on Banggood.

This is LEP discussion right?

I wondered what a LEP would do as a light source for my Viroblast fresnel light? So from wood I made a simple light engine that centers the brandless LEP light from Neal (with the stock lens screwed off) behind the 20cm fresnel lens.

What I sort of expected (same story as my 36cm fresnel light with dedomed XM-L2) happened: the light source is too small to produce a proper image by the mediocre qiality fresnel lens, the hotspot is a mess of chromatic distortion: different colours have a different focal planes, and also laterally all kinds of rainbows can be seen instead of a nice white pinpoint hotspot (sorry, I made no close-up pictures of the hotspot).

My estimate is that the luminance of this LEP is about 6 times that of the SBT90.2, so with a perfect lens the Viroblast+LEP should produce about 28Mcd. I measured “just” 8.5Mcd in the messy hotspot.

Apart from the less-than-hoped-for throw number, the hotspot is too narrow to be usable. Kind of the same objection that Rusty Joe had against the W30 in his enjoyable video :laughing: , but worse!

So my conclusion is that both my Viroblast and Neal’s LEP light come with the right light source for the job. Mixing does not make things better :slight_smile:

In general LEP lights seem to benefit from good optical grade projection lenses to properly project the tiny light source, and that is what I think they all have (but I’m not sure that achromats are used?).