The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

Up until now always thought of LEP as toys, but if they can get 6Mcd 1000-1500lm dam that would be a game changer, already the S50 does 6Mcd and S90 20Mill so they better start coming up with serious throw. But sadly this world is infected with nany state nonsense so I can already see problems with extreme throw being sold to the public.

Ya… about that the S50 and S90 cost an arm and a soul(like down payment on a house prices), from the product demo videos they seem to only kick around what the other current LEP’s put out or at 500~ lumens (the S50 anyway) and has horrible and I mean HORRIBLE PWM then factor in they require clunkly proprietary battery packs.

Ha I can’t imagine the gov making flashlights illegal. That would suck

Good point. I will do that with the ones I own....

I just picked up a new Weltool W3 Pro and it’s quite nice. It is very solidly built and feels like it could take a beating. I also have a W30 and the spot from the W3 Pro isn’t as concentrated (as expected) but I feel like it is much more usable as a tool rather than just a toy. Even at 100 yards the W30’s hotspot is almost too small to be useful whereas the W3 Pro is great at moderate ranges. Having two modes helps for shorter ranges too. I feel like this is the perfect form factor for LEP lights in their current state.

Very cool! Sounds a lot the Acebeam W10 Gen 2. Makes a pretty useful beam from a distance but still gets that zero spill effect that makes it nice to use around other people. I love my FF5 HID light but the beam is so massive that I can’t even use it when I’m walking around with other people

I’m looking forward to reviews of the astrolux (jetbeam) wp1. I think the W3 pro is the most attractive LEP offering currently strictly from a practicality standpoint. 250kcd from a 21700 tube light is awesome. Nearly obsoletes the WF1 B158 I planned on building. If a high CRI variant emerges in the ~32mm bezel class with 250kcd or so I think it would displace 4 lights in my already minimalist collection.

My no-brand LEP-thrower from Neal was in the Netherlands within a few days after purchase, but was stuck in dutch customs since dec 18 :cry:

But today it arrived, all works ok (except the electronic lockout, as Chibi already noticed) and so much fun it is! :party:

It is a chunky light, in size very comparable with the Cometa (=Jaxman Z1 clone).

But it throws just as far as the BLF GT (can not make a pic with the GT because my collegue “stole” it from me and refuses to give it back :person_facepalming: )

It has only one mode and that is exactly the number of modes I want from a light like this.

I really like the feel and build quality, seems really good. But you can only know for sure after a while and after maybe a few drops.

The tint is not bad, at least at short distance, cool white with no obvious hue. When it is dark in a few hours I can look at that outside.

I measured throw at 12.4 meter distance, which is the longest possible distance in our appartment. With a Shockli 5500mAh battery, after 30 seconds, I get 1.10Mcd with the Extech LT45 luxmeter, and 1.04 Mcd with the Tasi meter. Completely in line with what Chibi found.
I also re-measured throw of my Cometa with 5amp White Flat led and Wavien collar (so top of the line modded), and get 560Kcd. So this LEP thrower really is a step up from that.

I like that you can easily remove the lens, so I can start playing around with other lenses as well. But the stock lens seems a very good one.

What kind of emitter does the LEP use? Does it even look like an LED? The LEP lens is this mysterious dark color.

Dang! My noname LEP was indicated delivered by some delivery-by-night courier service on Dec30th, of course it really wasn't delivered, and they don't answer phone calls and don't respond to emails, so it's up to Neal now - he said he will reship but a shame if he has to pay for it.

It is a round phosfor disc on which the blue laser light is pointed from straight above via a mirror that is glued to the glass cover of the LEP module, you can see the mirror in the picture.

That is a shame Tom, so bad if it is stolen in the mail somewhere :frowning:

Wow, cool, so its nothing like an LED.

The delivery was stamped at like 10 PM which is very odd, and doubt it was stolen off our steps. Neal gave me a phone# to contact them, and no matter what time of the day or night they say they are too busy to answer, and refer you to the website. So I opened a ticket there and still no response. The tracking info is very vague as well, saying things like destination airport, but no clue what state or what airport - just an example of the vagueness.

The lights were pointed at the grass, about 60 meters.

Right: 0.56 Mcd, modded Cometa (5A White Flat, wavien collar)
Middle: 1.1 Mcd, unbranded LEP thrower
Left: 4.8 Mcd, Viroblast (SBT90.2, 20cm fresnel lens)

what is this viroblast thing? wow.

I have a vinh’s modded unbranded in hand, any tips or requests? I don’t have any fancy testing instruments tho.

It is a home-made contraption with a cheap fresnel lens and an expensive led. Large and made of plywood. It does perform though :slight_smile:

The new Jetbeam RRT M1X and M2S use a different system.

Here are some close up shots.. I don't really understand what I see.

Jetbeam's website says this:

LED: WP-T2

so, it's just an LED and not LEP?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Maybe its backlit by the laser? (Like a traditional white led)

That's possible.