The longest BB gun shot in the world--Airgun Experiences Thread.

pixy basher, I can assure you, they dont have any recoil, the most you feel is on a falcon where the strike hammer is external. Other than that there is nothing, you are, after all simply releasing a charge of compressed air into a chamber to propel a pellet down the barrel.

Thanks to my buddy Nick for being my camera guy!

A Winchester .177cal a Ruger .177 cal and my favorite was my Gamo Shadow 1000 .177 new pellet technology. Has made them great for my utilititarian uses other than target I like the Gamo Raptor PBA s but they are a little over rated I got excellent field accuracy. To about 50yards nothing compared to I like flashlights .22 rimfire which is awesome or the British target set ups I eventually wore out my Gamo ib called Gamo and they said they could rebuild it fi r 45.00 $ flat rate including shipping and I really liked the adjustable trigger.

Ive got a Diana RWS 48 .177. Does 1100 fps and built like a tank. At closer ranges, I was shocked to find it to be as repeatably accurate as my center fire varmint rifles w coveted hand loads. I think Ive tested just about every pellet imaginable, but it only does really well on meisterkugeln’s. Sounds like a good german beer, doesn’t it? Since it was my first high powered pellet rifle, I didnt know that the inherent reverse recoil of these rifles could destroy some expensive rifle scopes not designed for this application. Well you guessed it… $1K carl zeiss didnt like the new fun I mounted it to. Now it wears another scope that still costs more than the darn rifle. But man, what a shooter.

I had actually forgotten how fun the old Daisy Red Ryder used to be. That was my first plinker as a kid and probably for my father as well. I must have shot a ton of BB’s through it every week for several years. Your hits at 70 yds are very impressive, especially @350 fps. Thats some SERIOUS elevation! Looks like I need to get another one of these soon. Do they still sell BB’s in the large cardboard milk carton or treasure chest? FUN!!

I just had to smile at your vid. Plink!… then a few seconds later… Tink! :bigsmile:

i would like to know how far people have been able to light up a bb pellet with their choice of thrower :smiley:

i always dreamed of having a supply of ‘cheap tracers’

Dianas are wicked nice springer rifles. A little out of my price range (for now) unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue:
That sucks about the Zeiss! I’ve had good luck with Leapers scopes, as inexpensive as they are.
RWS’s pellets cost significantly less than their rifles (duh), so I can affirm that they’re definitely some of the best out there. RWS/H&N, Beeman, and Crosman Premiers for me. Gamo “Match” pellets can be surprisingly accurate if a particular gun likes them.

As fun as ‘real’ firearms and higher powered airguns are, plinking with a Red Ryder is a fantastic and relaxing way to spend an afternoon: a challenging shot is literally just a few yards away. That said I really would like to try my hand at metallic silhouette shooting.

Unfortunately they ditched the milk carton packaging. BBs now come in plastic containers that are impossible to pour from. A silly ‘child safe’ measure, perhaps?

When I was a kid I went through the trouble of duct-taping the 4D Mag I got for Xmas to the barrel of my Winchester 1000x pellet gun. I thought it was the coolest thing ever since it illuminated the pellet a good ways downrange :bigsmile: . Doing so obviously was terrible for barrel harmonics but that thing was inaccurate as $#!% to begin with.

Even before then, I’d taped a 2D Mag (or was it a Mini Mag?) under the barrel of my Daisy 105 Buck, and then talked my pal from the 4th Grade into taping a 2D Mag to his Red Ryder. We thought we were so cool, playing Army Rangers at night out on the farm :smiley:
I’d taken a little inspiration from Hogarth of The Iron Giant fame…

The movie was based in ’50s Maine (how ’bout dem Red Sox?)

I don’t know if you guys get them over there, but I swear by air arms diablo hunter pellets in .22, their fairly light so have quite a flat trajectory but are very very consistent, they were my hunting pellet of choice in both .22 and the .177 equivalent.

Scopes wise, I use Simmons air rifle spec scopes or leupold, both I have had much success with.

For metallic targets, there are a lot of spinner and “pellet resettable” ones that I enjoy using, the nice thing is most come with rings to reduce the target area, so you start at disk size and can drop down to 20mm or 15mm. I can find links for uk suppliers but the exchange rate and delivery will rape you guys.

I forgot to mention that Zeiss covered the repairs for free, so I really lucked out there. I went from the Daisey to a crossman 760 and then a sheridan blue streak 5mm before the age of 12. After that, 22LR and then straight to .44 mag handguns, high volume progressive reloading, metallic silhouette competition… and then the bug bit REAL HARD. Flashlight usage doesnt even compare to my range time. :party:

For those considering a fast 177 (+1100 fps). You might want to think about your local shooting area and typical conditions first. People often seem to ignore the most important things, such as sound. Unfortunately, my rws is supersonic and cracks a report about as loud as a 22 LR rimfire… so I cant shoot it anywhere but out in the country. Today, I wish I had bought it in 22 instead. A bit slower, but much more quiet plus more kinetic energy down range.

Didnt Daisey make more than one version of the bb repeater? I seem to remember one with a dull gold painted finish that was considerably faster than the RR. Maybe it was another version of the RR.

This is a fun thread. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

used my Darth3 held on foregrip and got rid of a troublesome bunny that keeps raiding the family garden @25yards or so

I love hunting as hunting game I love do this with Gamo Varmint