The problem with this "hobby"....

Hi,

As I’ve mentioned in some posts, I’m kind of new, and given that it’s tough to pursue this hobby without buying stuff from merchants/websites in the Far East, I’m finding that, because it takes so long for orders to arrive, that things are “stacking up”.

For example, one of the 1st non-U.S. places I ordered from was buyincoins, in early March (this year :laughing:, and I still haven’t received that order. In the meantime, of course, I’ve placed orders with other places, including Fasttech (mid-March), and haven’t received those either, and the orders keep piling up, so now I have like 8+ orders “in flight”.

I keep telling myself to stick only to U.S. sellers, but it seems like even if I do that, sometimes stuff still ends up coming from China or HK.

Sigh :(…

I’m hoping that this is only because I’ve just started, and so I’m “ramping up”, but I was wondering if this is “typical”?

Sorry for the (short) rant :)!!

Jim

ITS BEAUTIFUL!!! I get loads of packages. Completely typical.

My experience from china,hong kong is on the whole good,it does take a while sometimes.I have had orders to my door in as little as 9 days ,and as long as 4 weeks,.

Hi,

I think that my problems are:

1) I live on the east coast U.S. (so shipping takes longer) and
2) I’m too impatient.

I’ve bought some stuff from places like Illumination Supply, Battery Junction, Lighthound, and even Ebay and Amazon where I’ve specifically looked for U.S.-based merchants, and those come quickly, but whoo boy, the shipments from “over there” take FOREVER :(…

Jim

Do you use paypal to pay the sellers? If so, within 45 days you can file a dispute if your order hasn’t come yet. Most cases, paypal will give you your money back.

I’d be willing to bet some people have a spreadsheet detailing all their orders.

I think I saw a post recently (here?) where someone posted a picture of a package that he/she got, and the postman had written “No more flashlights” on the package…. Waiting for our postman to do the same soon :)!!

Jim

That would have been someone from the us we call them torches overhere :smiley:

That wasn’t the postman, that was trooplewis’ wife and daughter giving him a gentle hint. :bigsmile:

The trick with this hobby is to constantly buy stuff. That way you will constantly get things in the mailbox. :stuck_out_tongue:
It helps to get into modding. Then you will have to buy more stuff and parts, which equals more packages. Keeping several projects running will also help. :stuck_out_tongue:

this type of message not part of the standard operating procedure manual, so i would be impressed if anyone else got the same
besides, a postal worker should see it as job security

I seem to click the ‘buy’ button more freely after a few beers…Weeks later I’m not always certain what I’ve ordered or why, but its usually a nice surprise when the orders arrive, a bit like Christmas as a kid :wink:

Hi,

I don’t drink (alcohol), but I’m already in that situation. I’m pretty sure that I’ve ordered something that I don’t remember, but I don’t have a confirmation from them (whoever they are) yet, so I don’t know who they are, what I ordered, or where the website is…

Jim

Amen brother…

I ‘track’ my orders in a notepad list. I’m pretty sure I’m missing some things, but it’s up to nine packages in the mail somewhere between here and China. :smiley:

can you check your paypal history?

You probably won't escape ordering from China. Just stick to reputable dealers, pay with PayPal, and watch your 45 day limit. I've had nothing but good experiences over the last year and a half. I try not to place another order until after the previous one arrives. This helps keep from spending too much.

-Garry

Same style…
I keep track of all the stuff I buy in a spreadsheet.
Im waiting for 19 packages. 0:)

im waiting on a flashlight from the US, and its been only some week nearly now, so not that concerned, but I notice hong kong shipping takes pretty good timing at like 5 days to the UK, + usually coming from the US,…the dreaded grey slip from royal mail telling you that the dreaded UKBA customs have your package and want some VAT money please!!.
HK stuffs sometimes slips in more than US .

shame there are not more UK based sellers here in the UK.
kinda headaches with all the waits, and costs nowadays really.

thanks.

I was thinking of doing that, but it sounds way too much like work :)…

Jim

Bort,

That’s actually a great idea…

Aside: I’ve actually been surprised (and pleased) that every place that I’ve ordered takes Paypal. That definitely wasn’t the case a few years ago.

Jim