The THROWER Thread

No, I would think that anyone who can design a working reflector would know where to place the led.

In practice the best lights have a relatively uniform center spot, which is what these large throwers mostly achieve. When I move them to the “optimal” spot, the hotspot become “two-staged” (a brighter center and ring of lesser brightness around it), which might be something they’re looking to avoid. I’m not familiar enough with optics to know whether this is inherent or not.

Most of these light are still used as general purpose, so too tight of a spot isn’t really all that useful. Otherwise they’d put XR-E Ez900’s, NOT xml’s, in them.

I think he’s referring to the density of the lines/flux, not which way is right. To be fair, if the flux where represented accurately by the density of the lines, the difference wouldn’t be obvious.

I deliberately reduced the density of the lines to make it more obvious.

Specialty/higher end manufacturers would have the know how as they invest in optics. You can’t expect the same quality from budget shops.

Sure, but the point is that it’s trivial to make the budget lights throw better, for the tradeoff of worse hotspot. I’m just speculating that they didn’t feel the tradeoff was worth it, especially considering that the purpose wasn’t to maximize throw given the choice of emitter but a generally useful light. A hard driven EZ900 easily outthrows a xml.

For example, in most of these large xml budget throwers, just play with different spacer thickness between the mbpcb and reflector and it’s easily 20-30% diff.

Don’t see a standard C8 on the list . .

And my sample seems to be pulling significantly more watts with 2 primaries than I would expect from a standard C8 at 4v.

I’m guessing this could be close to the E1320 high draw XRE P60 drop-in, but with a bigger reflector.

So I’m wondering how it compares to the larger reflector Jacobs which is pulling 7-8 watts on good batts . . .

All I can say is my g4 mcu can throw ! But I got an m10 and it throws more than mcu and C8…
!!

True, kinda makes you wonder then….perhaps these budget lights are purposely made that way so that the user can mod to their taste. Make a general light with simple output that would please the masses and leave it up to the user to play with.

No a normal C8 will never make it on that list IMO, its just not optimal for throw, whats the Jacob, 10mm wider? And thus i assume also deeper? The only other major increase could be driver levels and heatsinking but i think we are approaching limits in C8s. Saying that i will of course add one if Lux figures make me look stupid.

Any idea of Lux from M10? nice looking light but as above maybe limited by reflector size vs the Jacobs etc…

My C8 did about 20k - 23k lux
My M10 did about 26k lux
Both are U2 with 7135 V2

Xin TD T6 did about 21k lux

Thanks Pok, really falling short of the mark there then for this thread. Still love the XinTD tho :slight_smile:

I would say the TK41 is more like about 50,000k. I honestly believe my SR51 will out throw it.

I had both at one time. They are almost identical. If the SR51 beat the TK41 is was not really visible to my eyes. To close to call.

Mouseover TK41 mouseout SR51

SR51 wins in my eyes no question.

Hi guys anyone here have the Crelant 7G9?

Check out this thrower I found on eBay: eBay

Just received mine today. The closest comparison in my collection was the Trustfire X8. The 7G9 is almost twice as bright, I was not expecting that.
Bear in mind this is using TFF batteries. I have the Panasonics in the mail so I am certain the output will improve overall.

I also just picked one up last night cant wait for it to get here. Where did you buy your 7G9?