The Ultimate "Budget" EDC light, for LESS than 2 bucks. **UPDATE with MOD INFO**

How many were you looking to buy from them ?

Just tried this mod, with one of the police lights. Worked exactly like you pointed it out.
Driver looks the same there is just an additional spring underneath the pill for making contact with the body.

This light pulls very little current around 0.2A on an eneloop, so this light has a long runtime.
It lost a bit of “throw” but the blue tint has gone.

LEDs In neutral white ordered, I hope these perform a bit better than the ones I had laying here.

hows the tint uniformity across the beam?
a lot of those leds i have seen in the past were poor in that aspect.beamshot looks good.

I did testing on that. and interesting that these low-cost Luxeon clones are almost as uniform throughout the emittance angle with the tint as the Nichia 219’s are, and MUCH better uniform tint & color rendering than most CREE emitters including the NW XM-L2.
Here is a photo showing the tint shift in the CREE XM-L2 vs. the Nichia 219 vs. this Luxeon clone:

Interesting. I never tried this mod on the 3W police hosts yet.
Looks like i have another budget-project light is in the works. :stuck_out_tongue:

great.will pick some up.

True budget light mod, very impressive sir!!! Thanks for taking the time and documenting everything, I really appreciate it!!!

maybe?
server flaky and i have never heard of them.

Thanks for the link, That looks like another good mega-budget light to mod. I like the design that it runs on one or two AA cells. (similar to the Olight S15 set up) it may even work with a single 14500 if the driver can handle the higher voltage.

The page/site has errors though, i may search for another known seller who may have them to get one or two. :slight_smile:

got some 3w on the way…
figure underdriving 3w more efficient

Nice mod DBSAR. Its a lot easier than rebuilding the whole light. :beer:

its modding at an Ultra-Budget level. :slight_smile:

I have one from another store no one has heard of: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/1391.html#.VJ8Ckv9rsXA for $2.89. It says “POLICE” then the model number. The threads were rough but fit well. It has a plastic pill, like the SS-5039s I have been modifying, which I replaced with one from a #3 Zoomie 3 Mode. I just took off the o-ring and filed it down about a mm. to fit. I didn’t take off the star and driver to file it, so it was an easy mod. Works great. Looks and feels great. It is nearly as bright with one AA cell as with two but draws only a third the current. It would work with one 14500, but I don’t like using them with boost drivers. It will make a good present.

Buyincoins has free shipping, while Tvc-Mall estimates $5.21 for shipping one and $12.63 for three.

The Pailide GL-037-13 is out of stock at Buyincoins. I have a similar looking black Smiling Shark brand light which I carried for EDC for a while.

I have a couple similar lights, maybe i may mod them when i have time.

Just a heads-up that these lights seem to be back in stock at BIC :slight_smile:

And Meritline have them in black at $1.99 for 2 (plus shipping). Might work out even cheaper if you are buying in quantity. :wink:

….or maybe not. Cheapest shipping for me was $13.50! :open_mouth:

Good to hear !
i will update the OP.

Shows still out of stock on BIC for me…

So 1W Police-type flashlights are the only ones for this ultra-budget mod ATM?
Bought 10x1W NW emiters, now need something to fit them. Thinking about this one:

OOH!! Need to see the innards of these little lights!