thefreeman linear HDR drivers with super low moonlight building instructions (deprecated)

Thanks, yes I hope too.

The D4 driver is probably the same size as the D4v2 (22mm) so yes that’s a good candidate.

The 0603 sized components on the back (C6, R10, D1) can be hand soldered, I solder SMD components down to 0402 (never tried smaller) like shown in this video , for just 3 components it would probably take a longer time to use hot air anyway.

The most difficult part is the Attiny1616, I reuse a stencil to apply paste just for that part, as buying a new stencils for each drivers would be a bit expensive for me since I do a lot of prototyping.
For the rest of the components I dispense the paste manually.
For manual dispensing I highly recommend to not use big syringe the paste usually comes in, the control is very bad (not enough/too much pressure) instead I use a 1mL syringe with a 25 gauge (red) plastic tip (less resistance than metal tips)

You can buy stencils from OSH stencil after completing the OSH Park order.

It is also possible to reflow the components without using paste and stencils by pre-tinning the pads with solder, clean, re-apply flux, place the components, then reflow on a hot plate. A few pads might not wet properly but that is solved by poking the components a bit during reflow. I used this technique one time with 0402s, SC-70 and a small QFN.

I did reflow two times a 1616 by manually dispensing paste, the first time I put a bit too much paste and couldn’t see if it was properly centered, had to reflow a second time to center it properly, and then clean the solder bridges by draging the iron tip along the pads ( like this ). The second time I put less paste but still had to correct solder bridges. I’m using BiSnAg though and with SnPb it might work better because it flows much better. Only pasting the thermal pad and manually soldering the side pads could also be a solution.

Here is a more technical explanation of the driver and what causes the flash.
To use a car analogy, 1st gear is slow speed, 2nd gear is high speed.
Speed at max throttle on 1st gear = speed at min throttle on 2nd gear.
So you get a nice big speed range by pushing the throttle on the first gear, then instantly throttling down and changing to the 2nd gear, then progressively throttling up again up to max speed.

Except, your brain might tell your foot to throttle down when going to the 2nd gear, but your foot can’t do it instantly (PWM RC filter), so for a moment (~5ms), you’re at full throttle and already on second gear, which on a car would mean a stall, but on the flashlight it goes full output, and that’s quite undesirable.

It only does that when ramping up, when ramping down the throttle is already at minimum before switching to the 1st gear.

A solution is to wait a bit to change gear (HDR FET delay, either hardware with the back components, or software, which I don’t have the skills to implement). Another one is to turn off the transmission for a moment, like a clutch does. (mid ramp blink function, but that only works in smooth ramp mode)

To clarify, there is only one channel, this is different to the multi power channel drivers that use 7135/linear FET and DD FET channels. Again kind of like a car, there is only one engine, the whole speed range is achieved with multiple gears. On a linear driver like this one I could have used multiple channels, on a boost or buck driver through that would be much more complicated and the one engine/multiple gears solution makes much more sense. Here I applied it to a linear driver because IMO it still is a slightly better solution even in that case.

1 Thank

Digikey has the Attiny1616-MNR back in stock.
Availabily of DMN22M5UFG has been pushed back to 2022 so I added SISS80DN as alternative, RDSON will probably be about 2.5mΩ, 0.5mΩ more than DMN22M5UFG which need to be taken into account for the HI-Rsense. I might order some with my next order and test it.

Here’s a dual channel LIN18 for tint ramping :

Suitable for the D4v2 for example.

It has HDR functionality but Anduril isn’t compatible with it for tint ramping, thus no low moonlight. Q2/Q22 and R8/R28 should be left unpopulated and Q2/Q22 shorted.

R1, R2, C1, C2, Q3, U1, U3 are in single quantity, the rest are doubled (R3=R23 …etc)
LFPAK33 FET for Q1/Q21
0805 size for R7/R27

LIN_18_HDR_DUAL_LFPAK33_v1.0_22mm

Edit : corrected a mistake in the board.

A few comments.

There's no ∅20mm board, this is also a common size.

Concerning the dual sense resistor setup, I guess this opens the possibility of reducing sense voltage even further, doesn't it? Let's say I were to dare choosing just 25mV, 20mV… or even down to 10mV of Vsense. This obviously is possible, reducing sense voltage losses. Up there we have the equations, so it is just a matter of doing some math. Any caveats worth mentioning?

1 Thank

Yes, and I was thinking of doing that (for buck and boost), especially since as I build more drivers I see that the FET I’m using gives me consistently close to 2mΩ, and that it doesn’t go up much with heat (but I still need to do more measurements of that).

So I mentionned the lower limit of 6mΩ for the total resistance, but we could maybe go down to 5 (or 5.5 as mentionned due to the stray resistance).
And the lower limit for Vsense would be 40~50V so that it’s reliable (no flicker) so considering that for 5A we could do 5.5mΩ, 27.5mV Vsense, limits the minimum to 2/1023 of each range so that the min Vsense is 54uV, and we get 250 000:1 dimming range, still largerly sufficient.

That said for a linear driver the efficiency gain is only in dropout (which is very efficient) so this has a limited effect.

1 Thank

There is already a driver which uses a very small sense resistor and low sense voltage (40mV), it is the stepless dimming driver which Convoy ordered to be made long ago, available in ∅22mm and ∅17mm. Suffice to say that the ∅22mm version is just a ∅17mm border enlarged unit. Used it a few times, still one of my favorites despite its unusual firmware.

P.S.: sent you a private message with a question concerning an inductor selection, hope you check it out. O:)

1 Thank

It says in the first post this is deprecated, but what’s the successor?

It’s nice of you to join us, Beje!

welcome to BLF, Beje :wink:

the DAC boost driver that is being used in the new Emisar D3AA

1 Thank

I haven’t worked on linear drivers since then.

1 Thank