Thefreeman's Zebralight Anduril mods : SC65 with Nichia B35A and RGB button

Two years ago I made an Anduril buck driver for the Zebralight SC64 : Zebralight SC64 Anduril Edition, since then I did several Zebralight mods that I haven’t shown yet, here’s one I did recently :

Yes that’s indeed a Nichia B35A, since they have a weird footprint without a central neutral pad, I can’t use the usual Zebralight driver construction with a copper insert in the driver board, Instead I got made a very high performance, tiny MCPCB :

Specs are : 2oz copper, 40μm, 7.2W/m.K dielectric.
Common MCPCBs usually have a 0.1~0.15mm 1-2W/m.K dielectric, so the thermal resistance of my MCPCB is about 9~27x lower (better) than a common MCPCB, allowing to keep it cooler and drive it at higher current.

6V 3A boost driver, this time I used 3 sense resistors like Loneoceans does (”UDR”) instead of just two because the usual method I use for eliminating the startup flash didn’t work well with the chosen boost IC, here the large value of the moon range sense resistor prevents any startup current spike on its own.
I didn’t do any efficiency measurements this time, but it should have about ~97 % peak efficiency and about 93~95% at full output, the current draw in moonlight is better than the usual MP343x based drivers (about half, so double the moon runtime).

On the backside there is the boost circuit, and we see the copper lug, the MCPCB is soldered to it which then transfers the heat to the body, and the copper lug is soldered to the PCB so that everything is joined together :

The switch assembly is also different, one thing that I wanted to improve is the switch illumination, on my first SC64 mod, only the top was illuminated, so only half of the boot was lit, now both sides are lit. There are just a bit of shadows from the switch elevated corners, but I should be able to improve that by spacing out the LEDs more.

Installed inside the light, you might notice two wires coming out of the hole, one is the batt+ wire of course, the other one is the UPDI wire for flashing the MCU. This was one of the major problem of my first mod, in order to update the firmware I had to remove the press fit glass window and reflector to access the flashing pads. Now they are on the other side down the tube :

Another improvement is potting, providing better shock resistance and more importantly better thermal dissipation between the driver and body (pretty much necessary for good thermal regulation) :

The tail cap spring (and PCB) is also changed for a better one (5mΩ vs 25mΩ) :

Fully assembled :

The beam shape is quite similar to the SC64c LE (LH351D, left), and more floody than the SC65c (719A, right) :

It’s a 4500K B35A (R9080), it’s pretty much neutral in low/med, and start to shift a bit towards rosy in high and is about -0.0050 at full output, that’s a pretty typical amount of tint shift for the B35A at this current on a high performance MCPCB.
There is no color shift across the beam except a slight eggyolk in the middle, less visible than the SC64 XHP35 HI eggyolk so it’s quite faint and only visible when hunting it on a white wall. Might be possible to completely eliminate it with height adjustment but not sure it’s worth it.

It’s very nice because I think that the 719A and dedomed 519A are a bit too throwy for a small EDC light, I like something between SC64c LE and SC64 HI better, and of course tint is great as always with B35A, as is color rendition.
With the higher drive power and higher efficacy of B35A (vs LH351D, 519A and 719A) it has higher brightness than any stock SC6x, especially SC65 which is a bit anemic, I don’t really have a good setup to measure output but with a crude box+ceiling bounce it has more than twice the output of SC65 while the spot intensity is on par (tiny bit higher)

Thanks for reading :slightly_smiling_face:

38 Thanks

reserved

1 Thank

Man, this is amazing. One of the coolest mods I have seen so far. Gorgeous PCB design and excellent work. Also, I love B35AM! Will you post an efficiency comparison?

3 Thanks

Incredible work. Thanks for sharing all the details.

Could your approach provide benefits to other MCPCBs/ lights or are you only referring to that neat adaptor you made?

1 Thank

Thanks

This is just comparing to other non DTP MCPCBs, like Convoy’s B35A MCPCB. On a DTP MCPCB, the neutral pad of the LED is directly soldered to the copper base, only the cathode and anode are isolated from the base with a dielectric layer and those don’t contribute much to the thermal transfer, so a DTP MCPCB with this high end dielectric wouldn’t give much advantage.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. That’s a frustrating LED. It has a lot going for it but the footprint and non DTP are disadvantages.

2 Thanks

Thanks.

Like full system efficacy omparison ? I don’t have a good serup for that. For the driver efficiency maybe later.

1 Thank

Yeah, driver is what I’m interested in! Thank you, looking forward to it.

1 Thank

Fantastic work as always!

1 Thank

That is glorious.

The B35AM is pretty underrated in my view because people like to compare it to the maximum outputs of the Cree XHP50 series, and it fares poorly on that metric.

Its color rendering is outstanding, and its efficiency at moderate output is competitive with the high-CRI XHP50.3 HI. As long as peak burst output isn’t a priority, it’s a great emitter for an EDC light.

The flashlight itself is, of course amazing work. This is exactly the flashlight I wish Zebralight sold.

6 Thanks

Wow… This is incredible! Was the OP reflector modified? From the assembled view, I can see the mini MCPCB and additional wires. I wonder if the absence of a gasket would result in the reflector contacting any of that or would cause problems.

1 Thank

Wow, that is an incredible mod, pretty much a dream light for me.

Any idea how the Noctigon B35A MCPCB compares? I’ve read they’re particularly high performance.

1 Thank

Once again, you show your crasy high skills !!

This is an amazing work, i can’t imagine the hours of mesure/design/build behind it !!

Real impressive build, with some neat solutions. ( Even if I can’t understand every détails… i admire)

I thought b35am would be too powerless for such lights, but you proved me wrong on this.
(curious to see how much you get OTF :thinking:)

For sure, this is the best enthusiast high CRI/ tint snob EDC light.

Bravo à toi :wink:

1 Thank

Thanks.
Indeed, and even at 3A, which is still a pretty high output, it compares favorably with the XHP50.3 (according to koef test, not the same CCT, but even when accounting for that they should be close).

In Zebralights the lip around the reflector sits on a shelf, so it’s hovering above the LED/driver. There’s about 0.5~0.7mm gap between the wires and reflector. Could have been wider if I used thinner wires, but that should be safe enough.

Don’t know, but I doubt it’s as good as this one.

Merci :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Thanks

Super cool build. It seems like a pretty “endgame” type of light which really should be made en masse so everyone can have one.

I haven’t tried that particular LED so I’m not sure what I’d think of it, but I’ve really been enjoying a dedomed 519A 5700K. It’s the first LED I’ve liked more than the venerable 219B.

12 Thanks

Nice job! Keep one reserved for me.:grinning:

1 Thank

And one for me please😬

Great work as always!

1 Thank

A few color reports (~med, high, turbo) :

6 Thanks

Congrats on your awesome ZebrAnduril.

Is the Driver a NoPWM type (w Low Flicker Index, Low Modulation Depth, and steady Lux), similar to D3AA?