Thoughts/Direction on a strong red hunting light

I got my convoy c8 light assembled as it was pretty simply. I had a hold up with the UF1504 host. The wrong size pill was shipped but I got the correct one tonight. I have a question about mounting the driver to the base of the aluminum pill. There is a brass ring inserted into the pill and the driver fits in that. Does the driver just loosely fit in that ring? and the pressure from the battery holds it in place? thanks

The brass ring is pressed fit to the aluminum pill to assist in soldering the driver (-) ground to it.

Thanks KawiBoy1428… Good thing I asked. Now off to do a little searching how this is done.

Just make sure you scuff the brass ring up with scotch-brite pad or sandpaper, you want to clean it of any oxidation. Use a little flux too, it helps big time. Some modders solder just 2 points across from each other, or 4 points, and some solder the whole edge? Depends on the driver and available space. Start small, mess up small! :wink:

Be careful not to Overheat the driver while your at it.

well got to try them out tonight. With the added help of the Foxpro we were able to land a Red Fox. I was pretty impressed with the C8 for its size… and had some mixed thoughts on the UF1504. Im not sure with the extra weight of the 1504 it is that much better/brighter. I do like the zoom though but after 40 minutes of scanning with that it started to get heavy. I am now going to look into these other lights some that you guys suggested. I can see why you guys enjoy building these! not looking like I will be able to quit at only 2. I am going to try to find one to build that is even brighter than the Convoy C8 but isn’t nearly as heavy as the UF1504. If anyone has one in mind please let me know. Thanks everyone for your help!

If all the lights used the same led (Cree XP-E2) with the same driver you cant get any brighter. You can change throw or spill.
More current = more lumens until it peaks.

thanks Moderator007 makes sense now that I think about it. Would you be willing to give me some input on building another pill with a different driver to try and maximize the led? I’m not sure which one to pick. I defiantly would like to make this light brighter to throw farther if it possible with this led.

If your C8 is using a xp-e2 no matter which color just replace the driver with one of these.
Or if you don’t want to wait on the slow boat you could use these but unsolder 1 7135 from the board.
If you look at the link I posted above this post using a noctigon MCPCB and xp-e2 all the colors max out about 2800ma.
The fasttech driver will run at 2800ma the Mtn driver will run at 3040ma. Taking 1 7135 off the Mtn board will reduce the current by 380ma, giving you 2660ma, unless you use blue, then use it as is. If your C8 doesn’t have a xp-e2 Mtn has those to in colors on a 20mm Noctigon MCPCB. The Noctigon is a must to keep the led alive.

How about on the UF1504? This is the one I would like to push to its potential. Figured I’d keep this pull and just build a better one. I really like the C8. Im going to try that setup u mentioned on one for my brother in law. Thanks. Moderator!

I don’t own one but from Mtn’s description of the host it uses the same driver with the color xp-e2’s on a 16mm MCPCB Noctigon.
You are using a color led right?

Yes the red led

2800ma appears to be the sweet spot. :wink:
These amc7135 current regulator drivers have been around for years, pretty reliable.
They can be programmed with different UI’s and the star (105c) version can have different mode sets by soldering the appropriate star to the outside ring (ground).

Ok so I need to order another aluminum pill, same led ( xp-E2 16mm) and different driver? Or just different options of one i got. Sorry little confused on driver

Ok I found a driver on the fasttech site that looked tonfit. It is 17mm, 2800ah amc 7135 constant current but I don’t see where it works with the big 26650 battery. Is there another one u found that did?

The driver doesn’t care what li-ion you use as long as its a single cell (4.2v).

Read down in the description section.

More info on modes for the 105c.

You can use the one you have or buy another to add the driver to, thats up to you.

https://m.fasttech.com/p/1122302

Does this look like it? This has 8 chips

That’s the one.
You also get a price discount if you buy 3 or more or use code BLF for less than 3.

Ok thanks then your help. On the mtn ones I got i had to remove some chips…thisnone will be used as is with all 8? Thanks again for your help