Thoughts on the Fenix HP30R v2?

Hello,
I am considering buying an HP30R v2 and I wanted to know if anybody had any thoughts or comments about it.

I want it because it seems to be the highest capacity headlamp available and is also no slouch for brightness.

I have an Armytek Wizard Pro Nichia, but I tend to use my lights as worklights and often find myself having to interrupt what I am doing to go swap batteries.

I found this review which seems pretty helpful:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/fenix-hp30r-v2-review-runtime-beamshots-2-21700-xhp50-2-2-xp-g2/70173

It looks like it comes with a set of protected batteries but will it work with regular unprotected cells? Based on the pictures in the review it looks like it does require button-tops, but would an unprotected flat-top be long enough with just a little magnet? I got “Joe’s Surprise Sampler” from K&J Magnetics and it came with some magnets that are about the right size.

I assume the TM-30 and CRI numbers are nothing to write home about because Fenix indeed doesn’t seem to have written about them.

It only seems to be rated IP66. I would like to see IP67 or 68, but it probably wouldn’t matter for me anyway.

It seems to have the 2 cells in series. Does it charge them in series too? Does it have built in balancing? I guess that is why it comes with protected batteries.
It sounds like it has slow charging, I don’t even know if I have a separate charger that will fit protected 21700s.

It seems to have a nice interface, just a knob and a button.

The battery gauge on the battery box looks like it would be nice.

It has a USB A and C port. USB C works for input, but does it also work for output?

4500K on the flood channel is fine, I don’t think I have a problem with 5700k on the throw channel.

I can’t think of anything else right now. It is the only 2x 21700 headlamp I know of and that Parametrek had.

It seems appropriate for BLF because at $200 from B&H Photo Video, it will make my budget light for’um.

1 Thank

Another thing I didn’t think to ask:
There won’t be an imminent successor will there? Or maybe a competitor?

Thank you.

1 Thank

Hi
I sold it soon after review,not this one is bad, but i simply have no need in it.

So i cannott check and answer your questions

Buti still dont aee anything better when it is about remote battery pack model. Fenix is definetely NOT the brand that i would use, because of UI.but new hp30r v2is damn good

1 Thank

Overall it’s a great headlamp… for around the house I really like the HM65R, but for outdoors the HP30r-V2 really ‘shines’…
-I use the onboard charging as the included 21700s are a tad too long to fit into the MC3000 bays…
-I’m fine with the output on both flood/spot as far as color rendering and brightness levels
-Haven’t tried the USB-C for output, but the standard USB works fine for charging phones, etc. Might try to see if the C port will do anything other than input charging

People will nitpick the slightest things, but overall it’s a very solid headlamp. The Fenix headbands are without question the best I’ve used on any headlamp as in comfort/adjustability and I’ve yet to have a single issue with any of their products for many yrs now. Not cheap by any means, but lights are generally like tools, etc. in that you almost always get what you pay for!

1 Thank

I ordered it. It looks and sounds like a fine light and I have spent more money on more frivolous things.

1 Thank

Nice !