Edit update 2-28-2012
I now own 4 different 18650 lights.
1. My favorite light is the one I bought that is under $10. I am not saying it is the best... it is just my favorite due to cost and torch with great brightness. Shocks everyone when I tell them I bought for $7 on an ebay bid with free shipping. Am having trouble find more for under $10.
5w 5 Watt CREE LED 300 Lm Torch Lamp K5 Flashlight
- I have bought 3 of these and sold at cost 2 to a friend. value vs dollar is great! Looking to buy more.
- I can use my recycled laptop batteries in this without any earth magnets and the batteries last for ever.
reviews at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L7D8SY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004T7VRUM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19CXZPAGF18EBXTP8WHQ
edit update 5/6/2012 on light above.
I have 4 of these and for price are great. sold 2 and kept 2.
On one of these the battery top is being pushed in by the heavy springs. flickers on and off sometimes. but still works and for the light vs price is great.
2nd one I have the metal threads stripped on the body. repaired with plumbers tape and rear stays on. I did not crossthread because rear still fits on other flashlights.
friend I sold other 2 at cost and gave him batteries has same problem with top being pushed in but he doesnt care either. for the light vs price gotta love it.
2. Olight m20 is my workhorse dependable gun light.
3. UniqueFire HS-801 CREE R2 18650 LED Flashlight Torch
This is my long distance light and it works great. Long distance value vs dollar. super tight beam for the money.
4. Super Tactics CREE LED 400 Lm Flashlight Torch Lamp New
I fixed this light from cycling all the time by putting earth magnets on both top and bottom. No more problems.
I am new to this forum but I spend a significant amount of time on other forums answering questions with detail so I appreciate your time reading and thinking about this!
Am new to lights and hope I am using the correct terminology.
- 'thrower' needed as specialty light to be able to see long range into wooded areas. 200 yards + would be great.
- have discovered the wonders of free 18650s in laptop batteries. I have basically an unlimited supply of dead laptop batteries.
- am only buying this because I can make so many batteries but I want light to be cheap and have a 'laser beam' light to shine long distances. doesnt matter if battery dies, i have spares and take them with me.
- another user on different forum said he has 3 uniquefire hs 802s and recommended them. 2 work, 1 died but he doesnt care because they are so cheap. He is using for same thing I am using for.
- they have many models but here is one http://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniquefire-hs-802-cree-r2-wc-2-mode-230-lumen-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-16538
- have been researching this forum and i think 801s and 802 are basically same? I want flashlight to be able to take 'unknown reliability' batteries but I think I am wishing for this.
- Summary: am only buying because I have a ton of batteries and have a specialty need. Want to used 'unknown' batteries I recycle.
- Olight m20 warrior (my first flashlight like this) and the guys I run with are shocked by it. bought about a year ago and it gets used a bunch and hard. Never a problem. Was another recommendation from another user on forums I hang on on. I bought a smooth reflector to help project light but have heard that throwers have super focused 'light sabre beam' long range.
- this light disperses the light and does not penetrate wooded areas. (I hope I am using correct terminology).
- per research, I bought trustfire protected rechargeables and trustfire recharger. Lasts long time and I run with 2 surefire cr123s as backup to primary light.
- I will not use the pulled laptop batteries on my olight. Dont want something bad to happen to it.
- Again, I use this Olight heavily (it doesnt sit in a bag for long) and am happy.
18650 laptop batteries:
- I pull and lightly dremel the solders off.
- 1000 grit sandpaper to make sure no solder left
- use www.corrosionx.com on top and bottom to pull out anything left and corrosionx was made for aircraft electrical connections to stop rust and still conduct power.
- I do not overcharge or leave to charge overnite. I keep charging 18650s on counter and as soon as light turns green i pull out.
Again, I appreciate your time.
Edit update: want to keep the same size as the uniquefire 802 or 801 and under $30. I apologize for not putting that in my requirements.
Am also buying to see if all these old laptop batteries will really work and for how long. Dont want to mess up my olight with them.