Thrunite group buy on Archer 1a

They both appear to have a AR lenses, no o-ring between the bezel and glass though.

My Archer definitely does not have AR coated lenses. And the O-ring situation is a joke. My tailcap ring broke into two pieces…the smaller was about a 1/4 diameter. While I won’t be filing any Paypal dispute, I certainly won’t be buying any more of their products. Frankly I wish I had passed on the Group Buy. I was simply too weak to resist at 4am…. lesson learned!

The lens of my Archer came out easily, I will take another look at it this evening, it looked like an o-ring sits between the reflector and the side of the head sticking out just a bit above the reflector so that it touches the lens (and waterproof the light) when the bezel is screwed in. But the lens this way is also directly touching the reflector.

haha, good to hear that i’m not the only one buying flashlights and stuff at 4 am :bigsmile:

i was able to pass on this group buy though. maybe i went to bed early when i read about this? :wink:

So does anyone know what size o-rings would fit for the head? The two spares that came with the light are way too small.

That's crazy...

I wasn't really planning to take out the reflector, but when I unscrewed the bezel and took out the lens, I just turned it upside down and tapped a bit... the reflector came out. It's not held in there with any kind of glue.

I am afraid I have to apologise to Thrunite here (are you watching? ), I was not confident about the statement about the lens not having AR-coating, so I tested it, and here's a picture of that (making the picture was the toughest part, the reflection is about 15 degrees from perpendicular to the lens, it's my DQGIIIwith219onlow):

Left is a cheap AR-coated lens from Intl-outdoor, middle is Archer lens, and right is a non-coated lens. So the AR-coating is not great (I'd say reflection is reduced by 50-75% which is mediocre) but it's there alright. The reason that we all did not spot it is because the reflection from this coating has no distinctive colour (which is actually a good thing).

Now for the o-ring situation under the lens: there is indeed one around the reflector that is pressed against the lens when the bezel is screwed in (picture is the head without bezel and lens):

I was just pondering on how immense the depths are that one can go in flashoholocism , I believe I have issues..

I wouldn’t worry about it too much - you are among friends here. :slight_smile:

It saves me a lot of time.

This Light retails for $49, i bought it on the bulk buy for less and was looking forward to it’s arrival. Now that i have it and have had the chance to try it out, i find that the Fandyfire G10 that i bought from F-Tech for $15 Floods better and throws Further and appears Brighter and is also smaller in size for EDC. Why did i just spend all this extra money to go backwards. I think i’m the one that needs Treatment.
I was so looking forward to this Light, what a “Let Down”. Anyone else contemplating getting this Archer would be better served by spending half the money or less and getting a G10. In my opinion.
Cheers.

113 lumens and dies on 14500

The Archer throws better than any other single AA light I have owned, I haven’t owned a G10 but I wouldn’t expect it to out throw the Archer.

Also I don’t use 14500s but people report that it works fine on 14500s as well, something the G10 can’t do.

I would be interested to see some beam shot comparisons.

I said Fandyfire G10, https://www.fasttech.com/product/1029900 . Read the Spec’s and read what i said. I have the Fandyfire G10 and the Archer and the Sabre, and they are all running 14500 Cells. I also have the Uniquefire G10 and the Ultrafire K10, also running on 14500’s.
Maybe the best AA thrower you’ve had has been the Archer, but as you said, you haven’t and don’t own a G10, so you can’t really comment. I do own the lights i am talking about and i am telling you that i have had them side by side time and time again to try and convince myself that i didn’t waste my money on the Archer. I have spent the money, so it’s too late for me. But as this is The Budget Light Forum, if anyone had wanted to get the Archer but the Price put them off. They can have the same throw, the same Flood in a smaller package for less than half the Money of the Archer, by getting the Fandyfire G10.
I also use the G10 as an EDC on 14500’s, despite you telling me i can’t. It has never let me down in all the time i have been using it.
In Short, read what other people have written properly and make sure of your Facts before challenging the Validity of their comments, and if you don’t want to feel bad about your Archer Purchase, then don’t get a Fandyfire G10.
Cheers

So defensive…
Maybe your Archer is defective then?

“Great Comeback”
No, not defensive, you told me i was wrong, so i replied accordingly with the facts that you required and a suggestion that you did some further reading on the facts on the Lights that i mentioned. Clearly by your reply, you did not check the facts, nor was this ever going to happen.
Maybe the Archer is Faulty, given what i have read on here on their QC it would not surprise me. But i doubt it, it does throw well for a AA Light, but when a $15 Light can compete with it. Then it’s not worth $50 is it.
But maybe, just maybe, i’m right. It will cost you just over $14 to see for yourself, or prove me wrong. So perhaps put your money where your mouth is. I have, i just bought 2 more G10’s and the Archer will be a expensive Shelf Ornament. The Ti or Saber are better value for money.
Cheers

I'll test the lens on mine this weekend to see how it compares others, using a laser power meter, and some lower power lasers.

The bigger problem I still have, and I did re-check again... no ring anywhere in the head of the light.

Does anyone know where I can order an o-ring that would fit well in there? The spares that came with it are too small.

The AR coating QC is extremely poor with some, like mine, having miniscule amounts (dipped or sprayed on) equating to all but no anti-reflective properties on the lens. Seems to fall in the same category as the deplorable O-ring situation :frowning: As stated earlier, I won’t be buying another Thrunite product given these kinds of issues.

It's been my experience, having seen a lot of lenses, AR coating is visible, or there is a noticeable improvement in performance.

Thrunite advertises these as having TWO layers of AR coating...

I noticed the group buy too late! :~ and would join another group buy if it was made available. Any idea how to ask Thrunite to make another one?

Join their Forum, and post a request here.

Just a quick update.

Thrunite customer service sucks.

I contacted them regarding the missing o-ring, and was ignored.

After opening a dispute, providing pictures, and basically having to repeat myself over and over again, Thrunite did not do anything to fix the problem.

The solutions I would have been willing to accept, were;

-Send shipping label, I send the light back, full refund.

-Send missing o-ring.

-Full refund.

-Partial refund.

They did offer to send spare o-rings if I placed another order with them (not going to happen).

Thrunite dragged out the process as much as possible, and finally, paypal has gone in my favor in giving me a partial refund.

Frankly though, the experience leaves a sour taste. In the future if I do want one of their lights, I'll order from someone here instead.

So does anyone know where I can order an o-ring that would fit, along with a lens that would fit (I damaged mine slightly) ?

I bought a couple of these and have been running on some protected 14500’s that I recently obtained. When running on high, I notice that the light will shut off when battery voltage drops below ~3.8v. If I turn it back on it will stay light for a few seconds until it shuts off again. I’ve noticed that switching to a lower mode will not cause this problem. Once I recharge up to 4.2v, things are good.

Does this sound like a battery problem or a light issue?

I need to start keeping better records but I think it as done it with 2 different Archer 1A’s and 2 different batteries…