ThruNite TN31 Vs Fenix TK70

I would say TN31 has the brighter hotspot.

Put lights farther apart on a table, maybe at 16’ to 18’ perhaps?

Heck the K40 may even be brighter, but we know it won’t out throw the TN31.

Back off from your computer screen about 6 feet or so and then look at the last photo. Then do this. Put your hands over your nose and eyes and make a small window to look through. The TN31 wants to be the one that stands out for me doing this. Try that and see for yourself.

So the best way is still the same old-fashioned barn shots. As in my previous post, for me it’s clear enough which one wins, judging from the brown-leaf tree on the right side ( on the pic ) of the 3rd post behind the barn.

You know I have learned something here. The TK70 gives off the illusion since it’s so bright as being the better thrower.

But if you concentrate on the hotpsot on the pool wall and the black pool filter in these pictures above at 110yds as I already stated above you can clearly see the TN31 has the brighter hotspot regardless of the mouseover done earlier looked to make the TK70 the winner.

So with that my next question is this. Why on the 445yd barn shots is the TK70 just as bright as the TN31 on the barn itself?

The TK70 lit up the particles in the air which gave it the illusion of illuminating the object brighter. Coupled with the fact that the difference between the two is so minuscule, the TK70 appeared to throw better. If you put the camera directly in front of the barn, or you held the light further away from the camera, the effect or ‘illusion’ would be lessened.

I think your right.

So really now are we saying the TN31 is the better thrower.

I’m going off the 110yd shots above.

Wow what a long night of beamshots… TN31 looks to be the overall winner to me!! Thanks for all your time Brad.

Thanks Rick.

And we can thank the smart members here since we finally got to the bottom of all this.

I actually only posted 4 more photos last nite. But I learned a ton.

So we can now say that the TN31 is the throw king in all liklihood.

Then who actually press the trigger on camera? Why adding K40 when TN31 and TK70 already need two hands of you? :smiley: Glad you added K40 in the comparison though.

Ok, after processing your pictures on the hotspot, using exposure +4 for the lower brightness picture, and brightness –50 for the higher brightness picture, it is confirmed your TN31 throw further than your TK70, while TK70 and K40 is about equal.
First, Exposure adjustment has more effect on Highlights. When you increase or decrease Exposure, its effect on highlights is more pronounced. This is known effect for those who play with photoshop or lightroom.
As you can see below, when I increase Exposure by +4 on the lower brightness picture of yours, TN31 stands out as it is considered the highlights in the pictures. Original picture is at top, exposure +4 adjusted picture is at the bottom.

Second, Brightness adjustment has more effect on Midtone. When you increase or decrease brightness, its effect on highlights is minimal if compare to midtones. This is known effect for those who play with photoshop or lightroom.
As you can see below, when I decrease Brightness by –50 on the brighter picture of yours, TN31 stands out as it is considered hightlights in the picture so it has less effect from brightness adjustment. Original picture is at top, brightness –50 adjusted picture is at the bottom.

From two pictures taking with different camera settings, it is obvious your TN31 out throw your TK70. And your K40 and TK70 is equal.

And the epic battle continues!!!

The 31 seems to have a tighter beam… Where as the 70 is more ‘floody’… I guess the ultimate decision will be with what the person likes. DARN!! Now I have to buy a TN 31 as well!!

Or wait for SR95S UT. That will be the king of throw.

I can’t drop $500 on a flashlight… I’d have to kick my own ass….

Just guessing but I would be willing to bet one of those 9" HIDs would out throw that for less money...

I’m gonna end up buying a HID… I know it!! Scaru has planted the seed in my demented little mind…

Mwahahaha!!! :evil:

I know ILF ordered a ebay HID so once he gets his he should be able to post up some beamshots. :)

Not that I hate HID, somehow I prefer LED at this moment of time. Someday I might buy a HID, but SR95S UT is at the top of my list now.
Ya, I look forward to ILF beamshots of the HID he bought and his view on it.

It will never be able to compete in the ‘Whack a mole’ category… LOL I like a flashlight I can bonk somebody with… Just in case the damn thing doesn’t turn on!!! :smiley: