Tint mixing, improving de-domed emitters. (Are XM-L2s and XP-G2s good options to MT-G2 in some ways?)

That is an interesting mix Toykeeper. Keep us updated.

FIY. 8 tint can be bought here. Also in smaller quantity by request. Easy to find if you check the LED database.

Okay, the wide-spectrum BST is done:

I included lots and lots of details and pictures, and attempted some color comparison shots. It turned out well and produces very vivid color, but I wonder if a wider mix (0/2/6/8?) might turn out better than 1/3/5/7.

My original idea a while back was to ask RMM to do a S3-triple with three different tints, to get a wide-spectrum light the size of a cigar. But I kinda wanted to do it myself, and I found the BST on a great sale so I used it as my host. However, RMM should soon be able to do mods again, and even if not, he has at least the parts to do a S3-triple. So, if anyone wants a wide-spectrum light in a small host…

Looking through his current stock, here’s what looks like the best option for emitters:

XP-G2 R5 1A, ~6700K, 518+ lm at 1.5A
XP-G2 R4 5A1, ~4100K, 485+ lm at 1.5A
XP-G2 Q2 7C4 90+CRI, ~2900K, 288+ lm at 1.5A

This should provide the widest and most evenly-spread tint selection from what is available right now, and should result in a blended overall tint of just under 4900K.

That tint estimate was calculated by averaging the three tints multiplied by their relative output values/bins. ((6700 * 100) + (4100 * 93) + (2900 * 55)) / 248 == 4882 Kelvin

Using the same type of calculation on the BST-wide, I get about 4843 K:
(6700 + (4900*0.93) + (4200*0.80) + (3100*0.80)) / 3.53 == 4843 K

I’m guessing 4.4A total power would be ideal, since that drives each emitter at nearly 1.5A, so it should make the tints as close as possible to the manufacturer’s specs. Also, it’s a nice balance between lumens and heat, and I think it would do about 1100lm OTF on turbo if the optics lose 12% of the output. (518lm + 485lm + 288lm) * 4.4A/(3*1.5A) * 0.88 == 1110 lm

I have an unbranded J-18 type host that came so scratched up, I don’t want to invest a lot of time and money on it. Like RaceR86’s garage sale give-away, I have a lot of old XM-Ls hanging around that I’ll never use. There’s a pretty good range from cold to very warm, so I might just do a mix and match. Maybe even a de dome. I’ve also got a number of KD 9*XML beast drivers to blow up. I didn’t know they had a twenty minute lifespan when I got them.
I can’t think of any better thing to do with this light. Might be fun.

I finished my second wide-spectrum / tint-mixing mod. This time it’s a Skyray King with a BLF driver.

I think the math I used to estimate the result (based on specs) must have been pretty close to correct, since the result ended up almost exactly how I expected. The tint and total lumen output were both pretty much spot-on.

Edit: After using it a while, I can see the beam turned out with just a hint of yellow. It might have been better for me to make the middle emitter slightly cooler, or perhaps use more tint bins a bit below the black body line. It still looks great though.

Ouchyfoot, when I did my 9 XM-L tint mixed monster light last year I used everything from WW to CW. Just used emitters I had. It tuned out great, but it lacked some red due to the mix and several de-domed emitters.

When Im doing my 12 XM-L light Ill be doing a more proper mix. Im going to beat the 9 XM-L light in every way.. Packages from IOS are usually fast for me, but currently I don't have enough Noctigons and been waiting a long time for more Noctigons... Still not sure what type of UI ill use though.. Now that Ill done with my contest build that mod will eventually start moving higher on my to mod list.

Toykeeper. I like your focus on tint mixing. Seems like more and more people are getting their eyes up for it now. Ive lost track on how many lights ive done with different mixes. If you have not seen the flashgrenade you should check it out. It can do beam mixing as well. No need for diffuser film.

I don't think Ill be doing more dual beam lights this year. But Ill certainly get back to it. In some ways its a step deeper into the world of tint mixing. Adds even more ways to mix things. Which is both good and interesting depending on the use. :)