TK45 clone with XML's

Sorry - that “side switch” is just the lanyard ring, which was mentioned before. Forgot that. Thanks again.

It's too bad the design did not include a side switch, at least for mode changing like the Small sun ZY-T13. It think the tail switch on such a large light is a deal breaker for many here.

BTW, I don't actually own one of these, but have been closely watching prices and waiting for additional reviews. According to KartRacer31, output is decent (estimated around 1500L), but I'm guessing could be increased with a driver change.

Here is a SkyRay U2 Version at LightMalls:

http://www.lightmalls.com/sky-ray-k107-3t6-3800-lumen-3xcree-xm-l-u2-5-mode-memory-led-flashlight-2x18650-2x26650

Just received my “Tangspower” TK45 clone from Tmart. I kind of want to write my first review on it, but need a day or two to properly assess what I have here.

Initial impressions: It arrived well packaged and protected in bubble wrap inside an un-labeled cardboard box via the slow boat. Threads and o-rings are bone dry, but beautifully machined with a nice, solid fit. Otherwise, construction and finish appear to be top notch. Anodizing is perfect. The glass lenses are slightly smudged/clouded, and as of yet I’ve not figured out how to fully disassemble to try to clean them. I have not charged up my new TF Flame 26650s to test with this torch yet, but I did have two fresh TF Flame 18650s to play with in it for now. 5 modes/operation seems fine. High is all three barrels firing at once, medium - two, and low - one. Eyeballing on a white wall, on low (one barrel), it is right between high and low mode from my SF L2T with a MF 3-mode XM-L drop in - which is kinda awesome. On high, the clone is powerful as hell, but I’m sure it doesn’t hit claimed lumens. Also, I haven’t messed with it outside in the dark yet.

After letting it sit for a bit, I went to turn it on again, and nothing. Unscrewed and re-tightened the tail cap, and it works again. So I will be tightening/adjusting the inner switch retaining ring when I get a chance.

Knurling is subtle, and not as grippy as I’d like, but like I said, fit/finish is really nice. I also like the fact that the 18650 adapter tube isn’t just a length of PVC pipe, but is meticulously machined to fit, and even screws into the body of the torch via inner threads. Nice touch.

The lanyard isn’t anything special, and I’m not even sure I will ultimately use it.

Another note: the torch is a bit smaller and lighter than I expected, even loaded with the two cells, which is not a detriment by any means. The tail switch is by no means difficult or uncomfortable to access. It’s a little weird, but not a problem. Then again, I don’t have the original TK45 to compare to - and I imagine the side switch is quite a bit more ergonomic. The switch on the clone is springy and loud, and doesn’t smack of quality, but doesn’t feel fragile either.

This is my first multi-cell li-ion flashlight, so I’m kind of excited about it. However, when I get ready to throw together a review, I’ll want to be able to give accurate amperage measurements, and I’ll need some help doing the math to determine how many amps are being delivered to each LED. Also, if someone can tell - is obtaining a tail cap reading from a multi-cell torch the same as a single cell if they are in parallel like this is (if it is)?

I’m pretty excited about this beast, and I can’t wait to see what all it’s capable of. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Okay, just took tail cap readings. From two TF Flame 18650 cells charged to 4.2V each, I’m getting 3.5A on high, 2.7A on medium, and 1.6A on low, which isn’t all that exciting. I don’t know how to calculate all that into OTF lumens, and I am curious how much better performance I can get off the 26650s, or if it’s regulated to the point that output won’t change, only run time.

Either way, I believe that far surpasses the ability of the original TK45…

Thanks very much for you initial impressions! I am looking forward to your review.

Absolutely. Additional initial notes: In the dark, this thing is bright. I have been on a throw-kick lately, but the flood effect of this torch is pretty awesome. Even on low, there’s some serious light coming out of a single XM-L - even though it seems to only be drawing 1.7 amps - nice for run time.

Both springs at the head and the tail have that silly brass nipple. Once I removed the one on the front, I no longer had power cutting out to the emitters. Retaining rings all tightened up, and it seems solid now. Still only getting 3.3-3.5 amps on high. So, divide that between three XM-Ls, and let me know what that equals in OTF lumens. I dunno.

Also, each of the heads unscrew to provide access to the glass lens and plastic reflector. The finish on the reflectors are flawless, and the lenses polished up nicely. Again - assembly and fit are very nice. I added a little lube to the threads, so no more squeaking. Also notable is the fact that if you don’t remove the retaining ring for the driver before you unscrew the head section, the wires to each of the three emitters twist up, with the possibility of tearing the solder joints. So if that level of disassembly is required, make sure the inner retaining ring is removed and the driver board is detached from the assembly first.

Hmmm… that’s about it for now. Still digging this torch…

Oh, and the head/body heats up pretty good after a few minutes on high, suggesting decent heat dissipation. I’ll have to disassemble a bit more to determine how well this thing may manage the heat…

If you’re getting 3.3-3.5A on high from the tail, and considering it’s 2 batteries in series, that means 6.6-7A? That’s actually a lot brighter than I thought if that’s the case, not bad at all.

That would certainly make more sense. The beam really is pretty damn bright.

Seeing as the batteries are in series, voltage adds (8.4V) and current remains the same (3.3-3.5A).

Still coming in about $50 on some sites (like DX). That’s half the price of a Fenix TK45, which seems like a seriously good deal! :star: