TK's Emisar D4 review

I’d like a single emitter D4, with thinner tube and head…
That would be a D1, but it already exist…
It would put way less lumens and heat, but keep the same UI and compactness

Ti is pretty tough stuff, I don’t worry that the threads will wear out unusually fast. It apparently is the nature of the beast. All my titanium lights exhibit this to some degree.

Would be nice, no?

The Emisar line has lights which do ~4, ~33, and ~100 cd / lm. But most EDC-style lights are more like 8 or 10 cd/lm, and Emisar has nothing with that beam type. It’d be nice to have a single-emitter version like the D4, but smaller, similar to a ZL SC64.

Yup, a budget ZL competitor (even if efficiency would be way worse) for around 25 bucks would sell really well I guess !

I doubt it would go for $25 - there’s no reason for it to cost $10 less than the D1.

It works great on the D4, just be sure to download the correct .hex file made specifically for the D4.

TK shared the latest hex files here.

The head would be smaller, so the initial aluminum rod would be much smaller in diameter also. Less time to bore it also

Then why I’d the D1S the same price as the D1? I think the cost of the aluminum is not a major factor with this light.

I’m curious about 219B in this light too. Was thinking 9080 4000K. Would this fry the LEDs?

Using 219b should be fine. The Vf is so much higher that it won’t draw anywhere near as much power as 219c. I have some 219b triples with a FET, and they haven’t had any issues. I like the tint better on 7135-based 219b lights though, like 8x7135 (7+1 moonlight special driver) to run the emitters at 1A each.

Thanks! Just need one that works with an e-switch…

That price drop has tempted me to pull the trigger, I was waiting for the FW3A, but will now end up with both.

Just waiting to hear from Henk if a green one is at all possible, it’s not that I really prefer the green, it’s just that this is now the colour I associate with the D4, just like a Ferrari has to be red, or a Jaguar E-Type has to be British racing green. It just wouldn’t seem like a real D4 to me in black.

I guess I know the answer already but is there a slightest chance to get a blue D4? Maybe Hank has some last blue hosts buried somewhere in a drawer or cabinet…waiting for sale? :wink:

Got a very fast response, no more green, discontinued :person_facepalming:

White may be available in the future, otherwise only black or grey.

I have ordered the grey.

I am really curious why they stopped with the green. Seemed to be the most popular colour and the ano holds up pretty well.

Btw. I wouldn’t mind getting an E-type in grey.

are the green and blue out of stock or no longer being produced ?

This is the response I got:-

Do yourself a favour and never ever buy a S42!
I have one and hate the user interface.

I changed the driver for both my S42 and it’s now one of my all time favorites. Converted one into a triple. Nasil FW + usb rechargeable.

I know the V2 user interface is posted in the OP, but I am wondering if it describes all functions. I say that as I was browsing through the early pages of this thread and found a post by TK saying [quote=ToyKeeper]

This is already implemented in the new D4 code. Additionally, it has: * Loosen + tighten tailcap, then click: Go to maximum 7135 level (~140 lm with no PWM and no FET).
[/quote]
Is this in V2, and are there any other “secret” features I have not found yet? Also, do I understand the beacon level is remembered from the last light output? That is, one could beacon moonlight, 140 lumens, 1000 lumens, or any other level desired (assuming the thermal reg. does not kick in)?

EDIT: Ok, I got through page 13 and see that while the quoted feature above is not shown on the UI diagram (which makes sense) it is in the FW. I love it. Guessing based on what I have read there are not any other undocumented features, but still curious about adjusability in beacon mode. I am really looking forward to exercising this UI, it seems very good, if not almost perfect. Perfect would be mind driven, I hear that may be coming in 2019?