TK's Emisar D4V2 review

amkaos, you may wish to review the few rules… seems you are very quickly in violation of the most basic…

1. Please don’t be rude. Rude people will have their accounts deleted.
  2. Please don’t use dirty language, please don’t swear, and please avoid lewd or risqué conversations.

We’re a family friendly forum, please try to be cordial. :wink:

It’s relatively practical to use the optic nerve for changing the config values. It’s a small amount of data. It could also be used to calibrate voltage readings more precisely, or maybe even modify the ramp itself if the self-programming functions are enabled.

Reflashing the entire ROM seems impractical though, since the data transfer rate is so low. It would take several hours to send all the data, during which time it would be really easy to lose a few bits and end up with a corrupt file.

So at some point I’d still like to add support for optical programming, but probably only for changing the config values.

TK, is there a chance you will release a basic Anduril or RampIOS with the imptoved active temperature regulation? I dont use the fancy modes in the majority of my Anduril lights and really like the simple UI in the original D4. With the upcoming release of the flashing kit, I think alot of users will be flashing their lights and Im sure a simple bare bone option would be very popular.

Thanks for all the good work you and Hank have done for our flashaholic community!

I have a couple of the v2 D4s, presumably with the bug; I planned to give one to my son but he has young children who could activate muggle mode on accident. So my thoughts are:

1. None of us want fires or toasted flashlights:
2. We all want to support Hank, who designs and makes great flashlights at reasonable prices:
3. We all want to support TK, the doyenne of flashlight firmware (DOFF)

Some of us with the buggy D4s will want to do something about it: may I suggest that (i) the pogo pin kits to reflash the firmware are made available at cost price to the buggy D4 owners, (ii) one or more respected BLF modders in each country offer to reflash the buggy D4s (their owners would cover postage costs), and (iii) Hank offers a discount to buggy D4 owners who wish to order a further non-buggy D4.

Personally, I would choose the last option so I don’t have to decide whether to give my son the XP-L HI V3 3A, 5000K or the XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K, both of which I like.

Ignore the conversation of my friends, and yes I am clicking 6 times.

Someone should check if changing the thermal config disables muggle mode. It is the only setting that I am sure I changed, other than aux LED settings. I have one I can test in a few hours, that I never changed. TK explained that I most likely received preproduction firmware.

Hank recently posted that he is working on (i) and I think (ii) will happen as well. I am very new to the flashing game, but once I get my hands on a pogo-pin adapter I wouldn’t mind updating some lights for others. If enough people volunteer everyone can do a few and no one will be overwhelmed.

I appreciate the support. It’s always nice to have people who step up to help.

BLF has a policy against being overly argumentative or confrontational though, so it would be helpful to tone things down a bit.

People have blown some things out of proportion, which makes it difficult to discuss anything objectively. It’s frustrating, and it’s tempting to respond-in-kind to balance things out… but that doesn’t generally work well in practice because people just keep escalating. So the general policy here is to de-escalate instead. It’s not as satisfying, but it makes it a lot easier to get productive things done.

It’s true, the issue isn’t as bad as some make it seem. OTOH, the complaints about it mostly aren’t unreasonable. It’s a real issue, so steps are being taken to resolve it as best as possible.

That was an issue too. TBH, the reason people responded more to you is probably because you’re new, while the dude who meme’d has already been scolded for this sort of thing several times… and people may be tired of trying by now.

No, but this one is.

The item linked at aliexpress doesn’t appear to have the components necessary to reflash an AVR chip without the chip having a bootloader. So a usbasp type of device is recommended.

It’s probably running a pre-production firmware. I’m not sure why some items shipped with that, but it may be worth updating too.

Okay, that makes sense. :slight_smile:

It is always the people who don’t create anything that villify those that do.

FIrst of all, sorry for this long post. After reading the past - let’s say 60 posts - here I got the impression we have now two groups here:

Group A

Customers that feel satisfied with Hank‘s latest proposal and solution of the D4v2‘s „Muggle-Gate“. Fortunately, this seems to be the majority here. I feel very much part of this group. The mistake has been found, addressed and it will be rectified as soon as possible. Customer’s trust has been restored. These customers will wait for the „flash kit“ to be available and order it for a very reasonable price (without profit if I got Hank‘s post right). For the time being, these customers will pay the appropriate extra attention to the defective muggle mode. As a benefit, one will be able to (re-)flash not only the D4v2 but maybe also other future products with the latest revision of Andúril or even other firmwares.

Group B

Customers that feel dissatisfied with Hank‘s latest proposal and solution of the D4v2‘s „Muggle-Gate“. Fortunately, this seems to be the minority here. I fully understand their rant and discontent about the flaw in TK‘s firmware. No offense to these customers but please at least try to keep some things in mind:

• There are very kind people around here who already expressed their intention to help anyone updating their D4v2 lights (e.g. ZozzV6 from Hungary, Illumn from the US). I‘m sure more people from different countries will follow and offer their help. This is a great forum of nice people helping each other, mostly without any pursuit of profit. Could you please try to wait a bit and have some patience? Maybe there’s a good chance that someone who lives close to you may be able to help.
  • So far, Hank and Toykeeper have always been reliable, helpful and willing to do their very best to fulfill everyone‘s wish for a better flashlight or user interface. I think both Hank and Toykeeper deserve some credit for their great work they did so far and without it we won’t have any Emisars, Meteors or a truly sophisticated user interface like Andúril. Please remember: A mastermind like Toykeeper does not get any profit for this time consuming work. Without her we would probably still use old-fashioned stepped modes without thermal calibration, user defined thermal thresholds and many more features.
  • The offered solution will put you in a situation where you can frequently update your D4v2 (and maybe even any future Emisar light) to the latest revision of Andúril. Isn’t that something worth waiting for?
  • If we all insisted on getting a new D4v2 or even pursued filing a lawsuit against Toykeeper or Hank for this unlucky situation, where do you think it would end? Hank has a small company and returning all of these light because of a quickly solvable software flaw will certainly compromise his entire profit. It could mean Hank will no longer offer any further service nor would he be able to develop more of these cool gadgets we all fell in love with. It could also mean Toykeeper may probably discontinue developing Andúril or any future collaboration with flashlight manufacturers. At least I could understand if she decided this way.

In something bad happens I always try to seek for the good part in it. In this very case, this flaw might have significantly pushed the development and availability of a DIY flash kit everyone can use right out of the box. So, please try to look at things from the bright side...

Cheers, Thomas

I haven’t updated RampingIOS yet, but it should be relatively easy to do. I’ve been merging changes from Anduril into RampingIOS ever since it was first created, but it has been a while since the last update.

More to the point though, I’m still hoping to make a thermal simulator so I can make bigger changes to the temperature regulation code and hopefully rewrite the whole thing. I’m still not happy with it, and it’d be really helpful if I don’t have to spend several days testing after each change.

At some point it’d also be nice to put in a multi-UI build system which compiles every UI for every supported device. Then people could just mix and match hardware and software as they please. There just hasn’t been a lot of interest in other interfaces yet, so I haven’t done much with them lately.

Even if these lights were 100% free of bugs, it would be extremely irresponsible to put one in the hands of a child, especially unsupervised. These are not a toy.

Well you were cussing me & trying to insult me in a pm & that is a violation of the rules.
You can disagree with someone without being rude or abusive ,most of us manage to do it ok , SHAME ON YOU.
I’m not going to argue with you & encourage you , so just drop it.

Thanx for the link TK!

Btw, respect for the work you’ve done so far!Thanx to software driven flashlights I’m a flashaholic again :wink:

Try taking the cell down below say…3.8v. Mine was glitchy at that battery level, but today—with my VTC 5a at 4.20v, nothing for over an hour, when I terminated the test.

Cell voltage seems to matter.

Chris

on a scale of say, 1-100 (100 being most difficult) , what would someone in the know say is the difficulty of, having obtained a kit to flash the firmware, and then flashing it. I’m not talking modders here, I’m talking someone with zero experience in this matter. Even with a Youtube video for guidance. From what I have heard so far this would NOT be easy … understatement. And a chance of killing something?

Also, any ballpark on the kit? $5? !0$ $20? $40?

thank you

Good question ,
I’d also like to know what other torches would this device work on , D4S? D18?,fw3a?
Am I right in thinking it won’t work on the D4 v1?

I think so…
The contact points on the D4 driver or different then the D4V2.