TK's Emisar D4V2 review

It seems to work perfectly. Nevertheless, I’ll reflash it to the last D4v2 software, which might be the same anyway.

Really happy I didn’t destroy your light, BabyDoc. Need to be more careful with such things in the future :blush: .

I think the only difference would be if the D4S had more 7135 chips that ramp would not be optimal and maybe the light would not step down as fast for thermals but otherwise I suspect nearly identical.

Same brain in both lights, so it should be pretty close.

No, they’re not the same. There are hardware differences in the drivers. One is a FET+1, the other is a FET+3+1. There are other differences too, but that’s the main one. Running D4Sv2 firmware on a D4v2 would be like putting a 3-armed person’s brain in someone with only 2 arms. When they try to use their imaginary third arm to open a door while carrying a big box, it won’t work.

Running D4Sv2 firmware on a D4v2 would be like putting a 3-armed person’s brain in someone with only 2 arms. When they try to use their imaginary third arm to open a door while carrying a big box, it won’t work.

my goodness!

The D4v2 seemed to work ok for the little time I used the D4S v2 firmware in it. At least it didn’t burn up. I have since flashed it back to the 19-08-05 D4v2 software.

I look forward to seeing these! The ramp-down is a clever way to avoid all kinds of nasty problems.

Agreed!!!

Three armed person’s brain. I love it…

:slight_smile:

This is great. Would it be possible to have the ‘extremely long hold’ also eventually lock the light?

That’s a pretty easy thing to add. Maybe 5 seconds to make it ramp down, and 10 seconds to lock it.

Any objections?

I would say instead of ramping back down, if switch kept pressed longer than 2 seconds after the end of ramp has been reached, simply power the light off.

Also would be nice to have Moonlight locked, at least as an option, instead of continuing to ramp up from Off. Or at least have about a second or two delay before the ramping starts.

Also, another UI feature I can't get used to, no matter how much I'm using Anduril or for how long, it's Double-Click to get back from Turbo. For whatever reason my brain just remained hardwired to Double-Click for Turbo and then 1 Click to return. Only in this case, I always end up shutting off the light.

Please don’t. Love those short response times. Just enough to release the button before ramping starts, but still not too long to make you look at the wrist-watch before it eventually begins.

No objection from me.

I have no plans to remove “1-click off”… especially in turbo. On such a hot light, I don’t want people to have to touch it any longer than necessary to turn it off when it’s burning hot.

However, it might work to use a hold action to activate a momentary turbo function. Then just let go to return. 1H and 2H are already used for ramping though, so it’d have to be 3H. I’m not sure if that’s short enough to be useful.

Yep, 3H and momentary Turbo only sounds perfectly sound to me :) So how about the following:

- From ramp ceil:

• 1H - Momentary Turbo (instead of ramp down)
  • 2H - Standard, ramp down
  • 1C - Standard, Power Off

- And to go with, from On:

• 2C - Ceil (instead of Turbo) thus same as from Off
  • 3H - Momentary Turbo (release - back to last)

?

Another thought, would you consider adding a "Beacon" mode to the strobes Group ?

Cheers!

To make sure this does never interfere with normal use I would suggest slightly longer times for this feature to activate:

-10 seconds to ramp down

-15 seconds to autolock

As an avid Anduril user with over 16 lights running this UI those suggestions stink. Sorry, but that’s the truth of it. When it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…. :wink:

Aren't there custom branches as far as I know ?