Tofty's Custom and Modded Lights (Section 3 updated, 17th February 14)

That seller has more you know :slight_smile: I’m trying to resist buying any. Soo tempting. Just think of all the glow things you could make, earings, bracelets, necklace, keyfobs, paper weights……

@Essexman: I've been trying to get some more but i must have lost my ebay bidding skill lately as i keep just getting outbid. I've got some bids on order from Shapeways so when they show up i'll do a proper tritium update, although i should really start another thread.

Section 4 updated.

Really impressed with your designs Tofty, speaking as someone who designs tooling and machine parts using solidworks, your rendering skills are first class. Also didn’t realise that 3-D printing had come on so far, thanks for the info.

Car companies are even 3D printing things like fully functioning engine blocks these days…

Thanks a lot, 3D printing is certainly no longer just for conceptualising and prototyping but it's got a hell of a long way still to go in terms of a manufacturing process.

I think fully functional might be pushing it a bit, i can't believe things like liner cavities, bearing seats and threaded holes don't require a machining stage to finish them off, just like a casting would, but it's true that 3D printing is an excellent tool for automotive developers to help them build and test functioning new prototypes quickly and relatively cheaply.

In the future i'm expecting to see a much greater range of choice with certain industries as 3D printing reduces the effect of the economy of scale in manufacturing.

Sections 2 & 4 Updated

Tofty - You really need to post when you have made an update, I missed the Brass V10R heat-sinks with tritium holes! What a great looking mod, shame it didn’t work out, but nice one for trying it out.

No you didn't miss them, they only went up today.

Oh ! Kinda odd that you added that this week. I was modding my own SWM Ti this week. I found drilling and tapping Ti not much fun, but got there in the end…….

Depleted uranium… twice as dense as lead… very strong too… machining can be a problem… the chips can be pyrophoric in air…

You might give Fred a holler (Photon Fanatic) as he has several very intricate fully tungsten lights under his belt. He might be able to share some vital machining tips. Just a thought.

That Purple magnesium design grabs me by the short hairs! Can’t help it. Love it. I’d prefer it to have a normal lighting system, perhaps Nichia 219, to the UV but all the same I love it. Have a UV P-60 on the way even now.

Very nice work, on a lot of fronts. Too many, actually. You need to cull out some of those for decent shelf space and attention to the others. Just box up the culls and send em to Texas, me and Pyro will sort em out for you…

Love the old stuff; love the new stuff… keep it coming.

Your custom work is great! Your work is so impressive and innovative!

Question: Is there anyway to make a shorter tailswitch than the standard McClicky so that the total light length gets under 5 inches?

wOw - somehow I missed this thread.

Very nice creations! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Those are two worst machining tasks to ever have to do on titanium, still you did a very neat job. Which clip have you used? I don't recognise it.

Tempting but i suspect it's even harder to get hold of than tungsten and i don't think it's even as hard as tungsten, or as heavy. The machining challenges sound fun though.

Thanks, but already taken care of. For reference these are his two tungsten lights: The CR2 mule and the AA light.

I promised myself i'd start making the purple magnesium light ages ago but distractions (mostly self inflicted) never cease to disrupt my plans. In fact one of the reasons i've been holding off was that i wanted to redesign the light with a drop-in module instead of the direct mounted approach i had originally planned so other LEDs could be swapped in and out.

Thanks a lot guys.

Thanks, good question, i'll be discussing that in my switch thread very soon:

Amazing work. Thank you for sharing. Your dedication shows. I find the ones with tritium so cool! If ever you decide to part with any of your finely crafted art work let me know!

Ti clips are the same as used on Jetbeam/Nitecore/niteye products. Approx £4.22 each available from banggood in long or short. I’ve used a short for now. They come with some really small screws which I didn’t use. I went up to M3 and I had to drill out the two screw holes for M3 clearance.

Awesome thread Tofty, bumping it up from the vault

Thanks for the bump!

This fellow was an absolute creative genius with his diversity of ideas. It's a very sad thing he's been absent for nine years. His designs were off the charts original and beautiful.

I can only hope he somehow reappears...

Cheers Tofty, wherever you are :)

Thanks a lot, I can’t believe it’s been almost 9 years since I originally posted this thread.

It’s a bit of a shame that I so far haven’t gotten around to finishing some of these projects.
You know how it is; something new occupies your attention and previous projects just don’t seem as interesting.

I still hope to circle around and get back into this hobby again some day.
What on earth kind of monster drop-ins are people building know-a-days?

Cheers Tofty :wink:

fwiw

No and yes

the clip in the photo is not Titanium, it sticks to a magnet.
yes it is from Jetbeam, I use it too: (two on right)

Jetbeam does make a Titanium clip, it is this one:
same screw hole spacing and similar design (homage) as a McGizmo clip, but half as thick.
(pic links to source)