Toxicity of baking flashlights

Does anyone know if the finish is at all dangerous after baking the lights?
Does it chemically change them, or allow any of the chemicals to get on skin?
What are the downsides to baking a light? Does it weaken the ano? I have a blue s2+ I may bake

The first step of anodizing aluminum is to create porus layer of aluminum oxide. Then that porus layer is allowed to absorb a dye. I have used laundry dye, commercial anodizers probably use something else. Then the oxide layer is sealed with moderate heat.
When you bake a light things happen, proof of that is that colors change. As to what those chemical reactions are, I don’t know.
All I can say is that they say that barbaqueing meat can create carcinogens during the cooking process. So who knows?

We don’t even know what chemicals they use or if they are hazardous when we get them, so i don’t think its likely this will ever be answered.

Good question!

I know that a missed o-ring will certainly cause a nasty smell, probably not all that healthy
And residue grease will smoke away just before the first color change, probably not to healthy too.we have the windows and kithen door open while baking

The metal itself does not give of any visible stuff no matter how hard I rub. There is also no smell.

Well thank you for rubbing and sniffing your lights for me. That is true dedication

So it seems that nothing visibly comes off after the heating, so it should not be any less safe than a normal light to hold?

well i will not go s far as licking them for you :wink:

I assumed that the color was imbedded during the process and is all that is changing.
The lights with anodizes theads still lock out so I assume all is safe and well.
But well to ASSUME can make an ASS out of U and ME so if others can enlighten us that would be great!

The heat degrades the dye, not the actual anodizing. The dye is different for different colors and for different anodizing companies, so you will not know the actual chemicals, but from the heating I have done, I find nothing suggesting that the heated, (then cooled), light is any more harmful than the original finish.

As with anything, there may be something harmful, but I would at least make sure there's good ventilation for anything like this.

You should not have to go over 350 degrees Fahrenheit to change the dye color and that will not affect the aluminum or anodizing itself. Black color usually turns some type of gold or orange.

I use a torch for heating, so I can heat some areas more than others, to make a more uneven or spotted affect, if I wish to. I am as unscientific as they get. Spit and bailing wire usually fixes most things that a bigger hammer does not.

I know three main treads: Blue Convoy 2+, How about a Orange Dry with a brown center and What’s for dinner? Baked UltraFire!!
Happy reading.

Posted some about it in the “what did you nod today” topic
I just use the flames and put parts in there, no need to heat the whole oven and taking the lights apart takes longer then the coloring
Just HA3 takes longer and is not nice shiny so use the cheaper lights. And double check for orings they can be tricky to spot on a black background but you know you left one believe me :wink:

Do not eat it after baking.

I like mine al dente so I roast it over the stove burner (remove when color is as you like it)

and radioactivity ? someone measure radioactivity ?

Yeah that is great!
It spikes and afterwards a C8 sized flashlight can also be used to boil a cup of water in about 2 minutes and I think it could be used for medical or weapon reasons.
But you have to bake it a bit longer after the color is done :wink:
LOL, kidding
Ronin42, exactly fast and easy and you pull them off the flames when the color is right.