Blue Convoy S2+ heat colouring.

I had a spare blue Convoy S2+ host. Because I used the tailcap on my BLF A6se. So I thought I would try heat colouring it. I put it in the oven on broil for about 45 minutes. I like the blue grey colour it came out to be. I think I’m going to do it again when my shipment from Mountain Electronics shows up hopefully next week.

A few pictures. There is more grey in it than the pictures show.

You can see in this picture there was a flaw in the anodizing and caused a gold discolouration. The black is just crap from that baking sheet I had it on, That cleaned right off

Has anybody done this with the red S2+? I’d love to see what colour that would turn. If it is anything like what the blue did I think it may transform into a cool orange colour.

looks a lot like the titanium grey S2+

Different and very nice.

Any odor while “Baking” the light ???

1 Thank

Well that looks great! I’ve been holding out hope that Convoy would release a gray S2+ with the neat “piston” switch. I may just have to buy a blue one and bake it.

To answer your question, yes someone here did bake a red one. There’s a thread somewhere with it. It came out kind of a bronze color as I recall.

Yes to say the least. I’m not allowed to do it in the house again.

But I will

I can’t seem to find a baked red s2

Really nice, much nicer than the baked red one I recall seeing. Might get a blue one just to bake it. How hot is your oven on broil?

500f+ I assume. My oven goes to 500f then to broil where the top element seems to stay on.

[quote=RustyShackleford]

[quote=Stittville Ed]
Different and very nice.

Any odor while “Baking” the light ???[/quot

I figured it would smell.
I was “Banned” years ago from the use of any “Household” items……………

Yes… There was an order.

you need to clean them or you’ll get a mark like that on the head …any lube ,oils etc really screws up the baking process ……screws it up or makes it cooler depends how creative your schmutz is .

It was cleaned very throughly with alcohol before baking, soaked and scrubbed. This was an issue with the original anodizing.

Hmmm.
I was just looking at a thread by mrkelvin who baked his blue Convoy S2, and it came out dark bronze.
Two blue Convoy S2s, one baked blue grey and the other baked dark bronze. Could one of these be a fake?
I have one in the post and wanted that blue grey colour, but now I’m not so sure. I wouldn’t like it if it came out bronze.

I don’t claim any sort of expertise on this - I’ve never even done it myself - but I think temperature and exposure time play a big role in the final color.

I think the cheaper anodizing all goes to bronze. That blue phase is the first I’ve seen. I think the two S2s have completely different types of anodizing.

Did you bake your light in an (electric) oven? In that case the changes in anodisation are only/mainly caused by heat. Because in an oven you only want to warm things up, not burn them. When I read the thread of mrkelvin I get the impression he baked his light in the flame like a marshmallow (hotter + oxidation).

Here You can see my blue S2+
Unfortunately with this crappy Magnet glued in :wink:

You need much more heat than you get in an electric oven.

Does the light look professional, like it was meant to be blue grey or does it look like a spray can painted aluminum fishing boat? It looks pretty good in the pictures, but pictures don’t always tell the whole story… thanks for sharing by the way:)

Those magnets start to loose their magnetism above 80DegC.

Ummm… I think you need to get that magnet replaced;)

Oh right:)